The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JenevaD123
Exactly, a list of places to avoid would have sufficed instead they generalize using race and that's suddenly ok

Let's be honest even had they done that, when people here checked the list and found a disproportionate number were" culturally diverse" there still would have screams of racism.
Original post by caravaggio2
Let's be honest even had they done that, when people here checked the list and found a disproportionate number were" culturally diverse" there still would have screams of racism.

I highly doubt it.. I believe crime statistics would override race tbh
Original post by Mathemagicien
What if they get lost, and wander into a bad area? How would they then know if their location was good or not? Doubt Chinese airline wants to take that risk.

That is such a stupid thought process...if they are foolish enough to "wander" into a bad area from a good area even with a list of name places and a map that's their problem...giving people a reason to racially profile and immediately associate a bad area with skin colour is a s*** thing to do
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Opinion
they go to enjoy British culture and see white people, they leave having done neither.

"Let's go to see white people!"

Seriously?
Original post by alevelstresss
you people will make up the most annoying things to defend your crusade against political correctness.

Addressing me as "you people" is ironically bigoted for someone who preaches tolerance and respect.

It is not politically correct to say that blacks are disproportionately responsible for crime in London - or that black and other minority neighbourhoods have a particularly high crime rate - hence why there's been so much outrage despite the parallels being true.

Black men in London account for over 50% of all knife crime in the capital, and over 70% of all gun crime. London boroughs such as Islington, Tower Hamlets and Hackney - which have a high number of minorities - are persistently some of the most crime-comcentrated communities in the entire country.
Original post by usycool1
"Let's go to see white people!"

Seriously?

Yes.

If I go to Japan, I expect to see and meet lots of Japanese people, the same applies when Chinese people come to the UK.
Original post by jake4198
Addressing me as "you people" is ironically bigoted for someone who preaches tolerance and respect.

It is not politically correct to say that blacks are disproportionately responsible for crime in London - or that black and other minority neighbourhoods have a particularly high crime rate - hence why there's been so much outrage despite the parallels being true.

Black men in London account for over 50% of all knife crime in the capital, and over 70% of all gun crime. London boroughs such as Islington, Tower Hamlets and Hackney - which have a high number of minorities - are persistently some of the most crime-comcentrated communities in the entire country.

Its politically correct to want to avoid being racist, which is precisely what you're trying to eliminate by being an apologist for plain-faced racism.

Telling someone to avoid black people because they are dangerous, is exactly what this Chinese magazine is doing, and it is racist. It enforces the stereotypical idea that blacks are uneducated, violent, and hate people who aren't their race.

I seriously can't believe you're defending this. Its no doubt a part of your ongoing feel-good campaign against 'the establishment' and 'political correctness' .
if they want proper culture then they should turn up south of the thames.

Spoiler

Original post by alevelstresss
Are people seriously being apologists and trying to justify blatant racism?

This forum depresses my hope for humanity.

Air China didn't advice its passengers to avoid black or other ethnic minorities.

Air China did advice its passengers to avoid neighbourhoods with a significant minority population.

The former is racist, the latter is not. The left's hysteria never ceases to amaze.
Most Chinese tourists want to see Westminster, London Eye, Harrods, some palace and maybe Oxford Street. Can you imagine that Air China would recommend alternative ethnic destinations for Chinese tourists?

Guide: "See authentic ethnic areas before gentrification and they turn into another Notting Hill, today we visit:"

Finsbury Park Mosque: Home of radical islamists and hate preachers who support ISIS. Buy burkha souvenirs
Tottenham: Centre of London riots. See the burn down building and visit some looted shops
Leeds area: Home of London 7/7 bombers. Meet some muslims who state the young men came from nice families
Rochdale: Famous for pedophile ring of Pakistani background. Keep an eye on your daughters
(edited 7 years ago)
Air China didn't advice its passengers to avoid black or other ethnic minorities.

Air China did advice its passengers to avoid neighbourhoods with a significant minority population.

The former is racist, the latter is not. The left's hysteria never ceases to amaze.

The former is not even racist.

How is addressing you as 'you people' bigoted? You people as in you people in the thread, or you people as in YOU intolerant, prejudice idiots? Is that comment really bigoted or are you just sensitive..uh oh you're getting into PC territory :redface:
Brick Lane is pretty good.
Honestly though, Air China? I feel like it caters to more traditional chinese people, who may have never seen an Indian person or Black person before. Maybe on Cathay it's different?

And to be honest it's advice given by the airline- similarly on gov.uk//foreign-travel-advice, the Foreign and Commonwealth Offices gives advice on which areas of a country to avoid for whatever reason.

Perhaps Air China meant a similar thing, avoid areas with high crime rate, but unfortunately it got lost in translation :s-smilie:

Would it not have been a better decision to inform on the neighbourhoods with the highest crime instead of calling out race? Or will your rage against PC mentality prevent you from seeing different pov's
Original post by biglad2k16
Well I'm of Indian descent and I'm very much British so I don't see why some people on this thread seem to think Indian, Pakistani, Black = non-British

Yeah, my Pakistani family have been here since the 50's so I like to think I'm British, but apparently not according to people who can't see past skin colour.
I see nothing wrong with what they did. But of course some people will get all butt-hurt.

And one more thing, being British is to do with skin colour as well...sorry to say it. There are Somali people whose families have lived in the UK since the 30s, they're still Somali, end of. We'd say the same about Brits in Kenya for example. They're not Kenyan. It's about culture, heritage etc. It's deeper than what is written on a document for formality's sake.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JenevaD123
Would it not have been a better decision to inform on the neighbourhoods with the highest crime instead of calling out race? Or will your rage against PC mentality prevent you from seeing different pov's

If you had read my earlier post, you would have appreciated that I said exactly that.

Can you please also explain where I've raged against political correctness? Perhaps I've called it out in relation to the context, but I didn't denounce it.
Original post by L'absurde
I see nothing wrong with what they did. But of course some people will get all butt-hurt.

Your avatar :biggrin:.
Original post by ThreeHeaded6
Yeah, my Pakistani family have been here since the 50's so I like to think I'm British, but apparently not according to people who can't see past skin colour.

If you believe in freedom, democracy and have a British passport - you are British. The people who go about stating wild generalises do hurt the Conservative movement, but your skin colour is utterly irrelevant and I apologise for the racism. That doesn't mean you have to be a liberal. If you look at the founder of the Young British Heritage Society, you will find that the leader is actually a Muslim of Asian descent.

Tarek Fatah - an Indian - is someone who I unequivocally admire as well. You should watch his interview with Dave Rubin.

@ThreeHeaded6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending