The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
Lol I actually experienced a similar thing when I went to Paris. It was a lot noisier, dirtier, non-Frnech than I thought it would be. I can understand how people might react like this in London. Probably not New York though- that city is usually portrayed as very noisy, multi-ethnic, busy.

Weren't you complaining about it on the first page? That was a quick turnaround :biggrin:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Opinion
I don't think that most people are as naive and cucked as you are.

Going back to your previous point though, you said you'd go to Japan to see Japanese people.*

But you also said people from China comr to see white people. Can British people not be black?*
Original post by alevelstresss
you've got to be a troll, that is the literal definition of racism - "avoid these areas because of the indians/pakistanis/blacks" :rolleyes:

No, "avoid these areas because [they have a high crime rate]".

Once again, you are struggling to see the differential.

Communities in London which have a particularly high number of blacks, Pakistanis or Indians suffer from an abnormal level of violent and petty crime.

Air China did not tell its passengers to avoid the aforesaid groups, but instead to avoid neighbourhoods where these groups represent a large proportion of the population because those neighbourhoods have a particularly high crime rate.
Original post by The_Opinion
Weren't you complaining about it on the first page? That was a quick turnaround :biggrin:.

Yeah I didn't quite understand it at first. Although tbh they could have specifically mentioned the neighbourhoods of London which would have been more useful. Most of the tourist attractions are in quite English parts of London, with the traditional architecture, shops and a safe atmosphere. No tourist would even end up in Brixton, Hackney, Croydon etc...
Original post by usycool1
Going back to your previous point though, you said you'd go to Japan to see Japanese people.*

But you also said people from China comr to see white people. Can British people not be black?*

They can, and they can be brown too. The problem for tourists only comes when visiting majority Black or Asian areas since these areas are usually more shady and don't meet the expectations of a lot of tourists. However, some Asian and Black parts of London are quite good to visit- Brick Lane is pretty good, Chinatown is a must-see as well.
It's true that black and Pakistani areas are much more dangerous than the rest of the city, but I am not sure the same is true of Indian areas.
Utter nonsense - and some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous.
Reply 67
There are so many nice little villages in England that they could visit which is outside London I always wonder why tourists just choose London ?? They could live the real English cultural experience if that's what they are after
Reply 68
It enforces the stereotypical idea that blacks are uneducated, violent, and hate people who aren't their race.

Where do you think the stereotype originates from?
Original post by Advisor
Where do you think the stereotype originates from?

I sometimes wonder if alevelstresss isn't some kind of deep-cover troll.
you've got to be a troll, that is the literal definition of racism - "avoid these areas because of the indians/pakistanis/blacks" :rolleyes:

Following your line of thinking, if I tell somebody to avoid some particular district in my hometown (only native Poles in the whole town), because out of 1000 inhabitants, there are 20 bandits living out there and usually hanging around that district, then I'm racist.

Of course, I'm not. There are just some ill-bred citizens out there, so it's wise to avoid that area.
Same with this African and Pakistani neigbourshoods in UK. There is a bit larger number of people who have "bad manners" out there. It has nothing to do with race.

Keyword thinking doesn't work. Practice logic better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
I actually get what you mean. Last time I went to Paris, I expected it to be all nice, artistic, picturesque, French and all that. But I was pretty shocked when I got out of the la chapelle station and saw dozens of beggars, Africans and Asians who didn't speak French and dirty streets with a lot of traffic. However, most of the tourist attractions are in cleaner, more French parts of Paris.

What a shocker!

Who would have thought a city of 12 million people would have non-whites, beggars, traffic and dirt?

Original post by Trapz99
No tourist would even end up in Brixton, Hackney, Croydon etc...

Eh, you'd be surprised. Brixton and Hackney might be attractive for the "alt" scene, and Croydon is a pretty significant urban area with a lot to do. They don't stand out as tourist attractions, but not every tourist wants to spend their time on the South Bank or in open top bus tours.
Original post by Buonaparte
What a shocker!

Who would have thought a city of 12 million people would have non-whites, beggars, traffic and dirt?

Eh, you'd be surprised. Brixton and Hackney might be attractive for the "alt" scene, and Croydon is a pretty significant urban area with a lot to do. They don't stand out as tourist attractions, but not every tourist wants to spend their time on the South Bank or in open top bus tours.

Lol no. I live in Croydon and I can tell you there are no tourists here. No tourist is going to visit a minority-majority suburb with nothing to do.

I did of course expect non-White people in Paris but didn't expect to see those areas in such bad condition and with so many beggars. Compared to the worst parts of Paris, the worst parts of London are pretty nice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gman786
Its really weird how chinese people act around black people. I am ucl and we have a tonne of chinese people here and the chinese people are so racist towards black people. Its so sad man. One of my good friends at uni is black and hes really smart. Cmon
Chinese ppl loosen up!

Generalisation much?*
Original post by Trapz99
Lol no. I live in Croydon and I can tell you there are no tourists here. No tourist is going to visit a minority-majority suburb with nothing to do.

I did of course expect non-White people in Paris but didn't expect to see those areas in such bad condition and with so many beggars. Compared to the worst parts of Paris, the worst parts of London are pretty nice.

The same is true of American cities. America is basically a trash heap apart from the areas that almost entirely white/Chinese which just look "normal" by European standards.
Original post by jake4198
No, "avoid these areas because [they have a high crime rate]".

Once again, you are struggling to see the differential.

Communities in London which have a particularly high number of blacks, Pakistanis or Indians suffer from an abnormal level of violent and petty crime.

Air China did not tell its passengers to avoid the aforesaid groups, but instead to avoid neighbourhoods where these groups represent a large proportion of the population because those neighbourhoods have a particularly high crime rate.

except that's not how it was worded, was it?
Original post by PTMalewski
Following your line of thinking, if I tell somebody to avoid some particular district in my hometown (only native Poles in the whole town), because out of 1000 inhabitants, there are 20 bandits living out there and usually hanging around that district, then I'm racist.

Of course, I'm not. There are just some ill-bred citizens out there, so it's wise to avoid that area.
Same with this African and Pakistani neigbourshoods in UK. There is a bit larger number of people who have "bad manners" out there. It has nothing to do with race.

Keyword thinking doesn't work. Practice logic better.

you're twisting the words, read the original statement by the Chinese magazine instead of making up some hypothetical irrelevant nonsense, they literally said to avoid areas because of the indians/pakistanis/blacks there.
Original post by Trapz99

I have known tourists that have visited and stayed in Croydon. Not for Croydon's reputation of course, but for its services and proximity to Central London. If being "minority-majority" is an issue for you, I don't know what to say. Would you visit a white Suburb in South Africa, or is that too "minority-majority"?
you're twisting the words, read the original statement by the Chinese magazine instead of making up some hypothetical irrelevant nonsense, they literally said to avoid areas because of the indians/pakistanis/blacks there.

No doubt shorthand that was.
Original post by Observatory
It's true that black and Pakistani areas are much more dangerous than the rest of the city, but I am not sure the same is true of Indian areas.

Indian areas are the worst, e.g. Southall

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending