The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the South-East the most homophobic part of England?

Hi everyone,

Where do people think the most homophobic/traditional part of England is? If I had to guess, with the exception of London, I would say the South-East. I would argue Kent, Essex, Surrey and Buckinghamshire since they have the highest proportion of Tory voters (who are statistically much more likely to be against gay marriage, adoption and gay rights in general).

Although I completely accept that England is generally a gay friendly country, and even the most homophobic parts would still be like a gay haven in comparison to other parts of the world, I just feel that the South-East (once again with the exception of London) there is still this strong element of traditionalism which is much more prevalent than in other parts of England. I feel that the people up North and in the South-West are generally much less judgemental in comparison.

I could be wrong as I do not have proper evidence to back this up, but this is my opinion. I would argue that Essex in particular (where I live) is definitely more homophobic than other parts of England. There is still a very strong 'lad culture' amongst Essex boys, and from what I have noticed Essex boys are definitely not as accepting as other places.

What are your opinions?
Feel free to disagree and say I am wrong!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Coke1
Hi everyone,

Where do people think the most homophobic/traditional part of England is? If I had to guess, with the exception of London, I would say the South-East. I would argue Kent, Essex, Surrey and Buckinghamshire since they have the highest proportion of Tory voters (who are statistically much more likely to be against gay marriage, adoption and gay rights in general).

Although I completely accept that England is generally a gay friendly country, and even the most homophobic parts would still be like a gay haven in comparison to other parts of the world, I just feel that the South-East (once again with the exception of London) there is still this strong element of traditionalism which is much more prevalent than in other parts of England. I feel that the people up North and in the South-West are generally much less judgemental in comparison.

I could be wrong as I do not have proper evidence to back this up, but this is my opinion. I would argue that Essex in particular (where I live) is definitely more homophobic than other parts of England. There is still a very strong 'lad culture' amongst Essex boys, and from what I have noticed Essex boys are definitely not as accepting as other places.

What are your opinions?

Yes it is, everyone JUDGES.
Reply 2
Well Brighton is in the South East...
Brighton is apparently very gay friendly
Reply 4
Wait, am I homophobic if I'm one of those people who doesn't agree with same-sex marriage or gay adoption, and I don't agree with most things gay rights activists campaign for?
Original post by Pride
Wait, am I homophobic if I'm one of those people who doesn't agree with same-sex marriage or gay adoption, and I don't agree with most things gay rights activists campaign for?

yes because you don't agree that gay people should have equal rights and should be lower down in society than straight people
MP in my constituency and those around all voted against gay marriage, you have a point
the south-east is the most liberal, progressive part of the country

as foo says, it's probably the north
Original post by Pride

You probably need to expand on you reasoning if you don't want people to automatically assume that you're a homophobe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by lostintrnslation
yes because you don't agree that gay people should have equal rights and should be lower down in society than straight people

oh boy, I care about gay rights. I also care about equal rights for gay people. I don't agree that that means gay marriage or adoption.

Original post by Moonstruck16
You probably need to expand on you reasoning if you don't want people to automatically assume that you're a homophobe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't feel I need to explain. I'm sure there's plenty of coverage of the debates available on the internet. If people want to label me as homophobic, then that's what they want to do.
Original post by Pride
oh boy, I care about gay rights. I also care about equal rights for gay people. I don't agree that that means gay marriage or adoption.

I don't feel I need to explain. I'm sure there's plenty of coverage of the debates available on the internet. If people want to label me as homophobic, then that's what they want to do.

you care about gay rights yet you don't think gay people should be allowed to adopt children or get married? that's not equality mate
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'd be surprised if the answer wasn't up North. Many lovely, friendly people, but also have some seriously outmoded stigma! :erm:

Having grown up there, my first thought would be the North, too. Unfortunately. :erm:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pride

Yrah mate, I'm sure if we type in "why gay people should be allowed to marry/adopt kids" into google, I'm sure many of the results are going to be ranging from somewhat homophobic to dowright offensive.

Not allowing a certaing group of society to marry/adopt is not equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've lived in the Midlands, South Wales, Sussex and Kent and I've found Kent to be the most accepting of all of those.

I know this thread is about England, but where I lived in Wales was so bad it has changed now I see racism. On the rare occasion someone of an ethnic minority or someone who was openly gay came to the town I lived in Wales it was completely normal for people to harass them as they walked through town (with police around who wouldn't stop it). I even once saw a shop keeper refuse to serve a muslim woman because she was a 'terrorist'.

In Sussex and the Midlands I found people would occasionally be racist, but not to the same extent. While I was working in Sussex one or two times someone would come in and say something like 'It's nice to see British people working', but I never saw anything worse than that (and I'm not saying that was okay!! It was just a lot better than what I had seen in Wales).

I've never seen anything like that where I live in Kent (which to be fair is supposed to be one of the more accepting places and was one of the only places outside London in England to vote to stay in the EU so it might not be representative of all of Kent!). There are several gay and lesbian couples I see walking around holding hands and I've never seen anyone so much as glance at them in a negative way. Where I lived in Wales campaigned to not allow a Syrian refugees family to stay in the town, but where I live in Kent said we should be taking more families than we already had and some even offered to let them stay in their houses as guests.

This is just my opinion from what I have experienced! I haven't lived in enough of the England to say what the worst part is, but I really don't think it is Kent or the South East :smile:
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'd be surprised if the answer wasn't up North. Many lovely, friendly people, but also have some seriously outmoded stigma! :erm:

i live in kent and have family who are from Norfolk and well the homophobes are all up in Norfolk (my nan (god rest her soul) wouldn't watch Kenny Everett or listen to queen because of it )
Reply 15
I don't know if I agree that the 'North' is in general more homophobic. I feel like people are jumping to this assumption due to the stereotype that Northern men are simply stereotyped to be a lot more masculine than Southern men. However I truly feel people in the south judge more.

This article backs up my point:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-is-more-homophobic-than-the-north-10120844.html

Then again, remember that I am coming from the perspective of someone who lives in Essex, where I honestly feel is slightly behind the times with homophobia and racism compared to other places :smile: From my personal experience of living here all my life.

Maybe Kent is fairly progressive, but I still stand by Buckinghamshire, Essex and Surrey being slightly more conservative. It was interesting someone mentioned Norfolk! (Located in the East of England). I could definitely see Norfolk maybe being slightly behind the times.

Like I said, I am not saying I am right, but as someone who has lived in Essex most of his life, plus also having lived in Devon, and up north briefly, I have always found the people in the South West, Midlands and Up North to generally be far less judgemental and let live, let be.
Original post by jamesthehustler
i live in kent and have family who are from Norfolk and well the homophobes are all up in Norfolk (my nan (god rest her soul) wouldn't watch Kenny Everett or listen to queen because of it )

See my response below :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I've lived in the Midlands, South Wales, Sussex and Kent and I've found Kent to be the most accepting of all of those.

I know this thread is about England, but where I lived in Wales was so bad it has changed now I see racism. On the rare occasion someone of an ethnic minority or someone who was openly gay came to the town I lived in Wales it was completely normal for people to harass them as they walked through town (with police around who wouldn't stop it). I even once saw a shop keeper refuse to serve a muslim woman because she was a 'terrorist'.

In Sussex and the Midlands I found people would occasionally be racist, but not to the same extent. While I was working in Sussex one or two times someone would come in and say something like 'It's nice to see British people working', but I never saw anything worse than that (and I'm not saying that was okay!! It was just a lot better than what I had seen in Wales).

I've never seen anything like that where I live in Kent (which to be fair is supposed to be one of the more accepting places and was one of the only places outside London in England to vote to stay in the EU so it might not be representative of all of Kent!). There are several gay and lesbian couples I see walking around holding hands and I've never seen anyone so much as glance at them in a negative way. Where I lived in Wales campaigned to not allow a Syrian refugees family to stay in the town, but where I live in Kent said we should be taking more families than we already had and some even offered to let them stay in their houses as guests.

This is just my opinion from what I have experienced! I haven't lived in enough of the England to say what the worst part is, but I really don't think it is Kent or the South East :smile:

I'm not sure about racism in Wales, but I know Wales is generally very gay friendly.
Reply 18
Original post by StrangeBanana
the south-east is the most liberal, progressive part of the country

as foo says, it's probably the north

I disagree here. The South-east is the most economically prosperous part of the country, however I am not sure about liberal. If we take into account the high proportion of Tory voters in the SE, who are generally more likely to be against gay rights, I don't know if I feel the SE is the most liberal. I feel if anything (with the exception of places such as London, Brighton) it is the most traditional.
Original post by Coke1
Hi everyone,

What are your opinions?

The midlands. Birmingham, Bradford and Leicester contain a group of people that don't like homosexuals very much.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending