The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get a "good" job with chemistry degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Poooky
I've just realised that although industrial experience is better (grad) job-wise, doing the Masters will depend on your job aspirations. For example if you definitely want to stay in chemistry, you may want to get Chartered Chemist status, which depends on you having an accredited Masters level degree (there are other requirements of course.) In which case if you did the BSc you'd then need to do another MSc on top!

Sorry for the conflicting advice :redface:

And as for the internships and placements, @Princepieman is right and I don't have anything to add! It may be useful for you to get acquainted with your universities Career service, they can help as well :smile:

Do you think I should apply to Oxford then because they are too academic and dont offer Year in Industry?Or do you think having Oxford on my CV will overcome this?
Original post by ShadowStorm689
Do you think I should apply to Oxford then because they are too academic and dont offer Year in Industry?Or do you think having Oxford on my CV will overcome this?

It's not actually necessary to do a year in industry, a summer internship with the opportunity to gain a full time offer at the end will suffice.

Oxbridge have very short terms, so if you ever want to gain a bit of work experience, you'll have plenty of time during the holidays to do so.

That all said, I'd only apply to Oxford if you thoroughly love your subject on an academic level and are comfortable with the high level of maths - case in point the MAT is no joke (sat it last yr and got the average - which was 43%).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShadowStorm689

It's really your decision :smile:

Experience is very valuable but you don't need to have an entire year of it. At Oxford (or indeed anywhere) you can do placements during the summer which can give you industrial experience, you can also work in the research labs at the university. In theory that should be more than enough to get you into sciencey grad schemes. At Oxford, your 4th year will entirely be a research project so you'll get lab experience through this as well, though I don't know how employers view it since it's in an academic setting :tongue:

Having Oxford on your CV won't do much in the chemistry field, apart from individual bragging rights, since accreditation from the RSC means that most chem courses on offer in the UK will train you to a certain standard. That's why I said lots of chemists at Oxford move into other fields, the Oxford name helps more there :tongue:

Apply to the course/university you think you'll enjoy, as you'll always be able to do "extra" things to make you more employable no matter where you go- so it shouldn't be too big of a worry! :smile:
How competitive are summer internships? And is there a limit to how many you apply to?
And how likely is it that you get a place?
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
How competitive are summer internships? And is there a limit to how many you apply to?
And how likely is it that you get a place?
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Summer internships could mean anything.. In what?

Anything you apply for will be competitive, not much point stressing over how competitive it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
do chemical engineering with a minor in chemistry. some universities offer that combination.
there aren't many research jobs for chemistry graduates and there's a massive abundance of unemployed science graduates looking for work.

chemical engineering = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Have you been keeping up with the oil and gas news or.. just repeating hearsay?

Regardless, that advice is not right OP should do the degree they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Summer internships could mean anything.. In what?

Anything you apply for will be competitive, not much point stressing over how competitive it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha that's true
Probably loads of industries which offer internships specifically for STEM students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Haha that's true
Probably loads of industries which offer internships specifically for STEM students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really... Most are open to whoever, but only a few will be specific to stem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.jpgI've got a question as I'm really confused about my chemistry course. Do I do all the modules in the photo attached, or do I have to pick one? Also, what's the difference between open and closed units?
Original post by honeysugar
image.jpgI've got a question as I'm really confused about my chemistry course. Do I do all the modules in the photo attached, or do I have to pick one? Also, what's the difference between open and closed units?

I mean it does say 'options' so quite easy to get that there will be some extra modules which you choose that are not on that list.

Idk about open and closed, maybe read the website for more info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really... Most are open to whoever, but only a few will be specific to stem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are loads of stem ones on student ladder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
There are loads of stem ones on student ladder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh, but they're mostly engineering or software.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean it does say 'options' so quite easy to get that there will be some extra modules which you choose that are not on that list.

Idk about open and closed, maybe read the website for more info.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what about the ones that are blue. Are those mandatory? Sorry I'm so confused.
Original post by honeysugar
But what about the ones that are blue. Are those mandatory? Sorry I'm so confused.

Yh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay. Thank you very much!
Reply 36
SELLING 3 CORE CHEMISTRY BOOKS: organic ( clay den) , physical ( Atkins) and inorganic ( housecroft and sharpe) BRAND NEW BARELY USED . All THREE FOR £20
Reply 37
image.jpgOrganic chemistry
Reply 38
Original post by S94a
image.jpgOrganic chemistry

image.jpgPhysical
Reply 39
image.jpgimage.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending