The Student Room Group

iPhone 7 / Apple Watch Series 2 - Apple Event September

Scroll to see replies

There is no way in hell the iPhone only costs £100 to build. Stop talking out of your ass fam.
It's the same answer as with most iPhones ever: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alldayniqqa
There is no way in hell the iPhone only costs £100 to build. Stop talking out of your ass fam.

You do realise the average profit margin on an apple product is nearly 70% and that electronics are very cheap to make, what you pay for with most stuff is the R&D and with things like iPhones a few hundred on top of that for a logo

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm guessing the TL;DW is the same as the last few years: no real innovation, just gimmicks and tiny incremental improvements that make Intel look like they're advancing quickly while doing everything to make people pay for things they shouldn't need to?

I did find the "beat iPhone ever" statement funny though, as if anything else was going to be said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
It looks great, nice design as usual, not too much change but not much is needed either. Apple Watch 2 seems good too.

It's still a design Jobs would have a fit over, nobody sane should approve of a camera bump, it looks nasty, and in making it look smoother they can make batteries bigger, but apple still insist that what people want and need is a thinner phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The age of paying £500 for a smartphone has gone. You can get a decent smartphone with Android 6.0 for £80 now called the Smartprime 7 and you can get the Smartprime 6 for £35!

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/vodafone-smart-prime-6-payg/sku86176-grey

Don't waste your money.
Original post by Boreism
I am very much in the same position here, I too got rid of my iPhone 6 and replaced it with the Samsung Galaxy S7. To be honest, I wish i did this months ago Apple is so boring these days they decided to make you pay £100 of worthless EarPods when you lose them (as they are tiny!) as an act of *ahem* 'courage.' That to me is NOT an act of courage.

I completely agree. There are so many phones out there that can do what iPhones can do and more! I love my S7, the only thing I miss is the actual hardware of the iPhone. It looks a lot more 'girly' to me, although that could just be because my choice of colour for the S7 was black and my old iPhone was white. I also miss the front camera of the iPhone, the S7 comes out a bit blurry (must be doing something wrong?!).

I think Apple have had a lot of success with bringing out products that change the game, and good on them - I also applaud them for providing an adapter with the iPhone 7 so people aren't FORCED to pay the heft price tag of the AirPods. However, I don't think it will catch on as well as they hope. They are 1. way too expensive, and 2. too easy to lose. I can see their theory behind it, I can see their vision but the design of the AirPods isn't a great one. They could have designed something a lot more sturdy or that fixes onto the ear somehow, so they're less likely to fall out.

I used to be one of those people who would always buy the new phone, every 2 years - but then I just realised I was literally buying the same phone again and again with tiny little tweaks. It didn't seem worth it anymore to me.
Reply 87
I'm sticking with the iPhone 6. Having no headphone jack makes the new phone pretty much useless for now, until we can get some decent third-party audio accessories, which is gonna take several months at least (sod earpods/airpods/whatever, I like my ears in their current shape).

It's a pity that Samsung are producing far better phones than Apple are now, and yet, Android OS is utterly terrible compared to iOS. So I get the wonderful choice of either upgrading to crappy hardware or to crappy software. Sigh.
The headphone thing is cool; people moan at every change - remember when they changed to lighting port: oh how my old chargers are going to be totally incompatible, so expensive bla bla; now I think everyone agrees it was good call; same thing will happen with headphones. The wireless earphones at the moment isn't really worth the price tag given its only compatible with apple products but that'll obviously change in future as either drivers/ new models come along; probably will be waiting a while to buy those however.
The iPhone itself pretty meh; sure there is quite significant performance improvements and water resistance is nice but really what kind of apps are you running which requires faster speeds; or how often are you dunking your phone in water? Although something from last update, if you've something before 6 - you need to get the NFC (apple pay is heaven) so might as well skip 6 and go for 7 but otherwise from 6 to 7 I don't think there isn't much difference to warrant upgrades; might as well for next updates.
Original post by Dez
I'm sticking with the iPhone 6. Having no headphone jack makes the new phone pretty much useless for now, until we can get some decent third-party audio accessories, which is gonna take several months at least (sod earpods/airpods/whatever, I like my ears in their current shape).

It's a pity that Samsung are producing far better phones than Apple are now, and yet, Android OS is utterly terrible compared to iOS. So I get the wonderful choice of either upgrading to crappy hardware or to crappy software. Sigh.

It supports standard bluetooth ear/headphones which are pretty common already
No. Apple's Bluetooth headphones,"AirPods", won't be everyone's cup of tea. I reckon there will be a huge increase in the demand for iPhone 6S
Reply 91
Original post by swanderfeild
It supports standard bluetooth ear/headphones which are pretty common already

I meant wired (i.e. lightning port) stuff, I'm not a fan of bluetooth.
I never use earphones so the no headphone jack isn't an issue for me :dontknow:
Reply 93
Original post by Dez
I meant wired (i.e. lightning port) stuff, I'm not a fan of bluetooth.

There's an adaptor in the box which plugs into lightning and gives you a wired headphone option. I'm still stuck with iPhone 4 so I'll probably upgrade in this cycle.
(edited 7 years ago)
£919 though... eek
Reply 95
Original post by Wattsy
There's an adaptor in the box which plugs into lightning and gives you a wired headphone option.

True, and if there's one thing I don't need more of in my life it's audio adapters. :p: I've literally got a box full of them at home. Especially while out and about, a little adapter like that is likely to get lost or damaged. Why bother upgrading to the 7 just to wind up with a phone that's more inconvenient than my current one?
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Lol you'd have to be a ****ing mug to buy the iphone 7. Seen how much the ear buds cost? Good luck replacing those when you lost them 4 times a month...

£150 for a pair of wireless headphones? Ouch...

I was thinking about getting some Airpods for my phone, if they were reasonably priced, but not at £150. I can get much better quality, better sounding wireless Bluetooth headphones for much less than that.

Plus it's something else to charge up, and they are small so you may lose them...

Out of the two, I think the Galaxy S7 looks more appealing to me than the iPhone 7... and £600 for the lowest priced iPhone 7 is more than what the 6S was.
Overpriced, under-engineered. Apple is laughing all the way to the bank with your money. I despair that even the launch of their tiresome products has become an event in itself. :facepalm2:
Original post by soanonymous
I completely agree. There are so many phones out there that can do what iPhones can do and more! I love my S7, the only thing I miss is the actual hardware of the iPhone. It looks a lot more 'girly' to me, although that could just be because my choice of colour for the S7 was black and my old iPhone was white. I also miss the front camera of the iPhone, the S7 comes out a bit blurry (must be doing something wrong?!).

I think Apple have had a lot of success with bringing out products that change the game, and good on them - I also applaud them for providing an adapter with the iPhone 7 so people aren't FORCED to pay the heft price tag of the AirPods. However, I don't think it will catch on as well as they hope. They are 1. way too expensive, and 2. too easy to lose. I can see their theory behind it, I can see their vision but the design of the AirPods isn't a great one. They could have designed something a lot more sturdy or that fixes onto the ear somehow, so they're less likely to fall out.

I used to be one of those people who would always buy the new phone, every 2 years - but then I just realised I was literally buying the same phone again and again with tiny little tweaks. It didn't seem worth it anymore to me.

When you mean 'girly', have you seen the Pink 'Gold' colour?! I went for the White colour again (my iPhone was white) as its a pretty exclusive colour in my opinion as it's not available in certain countries.

I feel completely the same way with my S7, although like most phones, it does have it's flaws here and there. Everyone's making a big deal about the camera, but I think they can make good improvements because they are well known for giving warm colours. Also the Always on Display feature doesn't have a full purpose (no email and WhatsApp notification) and they could've given a personalisation for the background on there too (black isn't my colour).
Apple on the other hand is (slowly) catching up with their 'innovative' theories and ideas but they're nothing new anymore due to their competitors. But to be honest for the sake of being in competition, they're just being copycats.
Original post by Snufkin
Overpriced, under-engineered. Apple is laughing all the way to the bank with your money. I despair that even the launch of their tiresome products has become an event in itself. :facepalm2:

What about E3 for consoles?

Even Samsung do product launches now.

Quick Reply

Latest