The Student Room Group

investment banking summer internship q&a

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by glebp
If its not Goldman Stanley im not interested

I hope you know that you wrote about two different banks.
Original post by Vl7d
I hope you know that you wrote about two different banks.

> doesn't understand sarcasm
> top kek
Reply 102
Hey congratulations first of all.
Can you list your history of experiences at IBs? I.e. Have you completed insight days during A-Levels?
How did you get to the penultimate year summer internship? How many times have you done work experience etc. in the past to be able to apply for the summer internship?
Original post by glebp
If its not Goldman Stanley im not interested

Banta

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vl7d
Hey congratulations first of all.
Can you list your history of experiences at IBs? I.e. Have you completed insight days during A-Levels?
How did you get to the penultimate year summer internship? How many times have you done work experience etc. in the past to be able to apply for the summer internship?

thank you,

did around 7-8 insights at major banks during y13

pre-uni summer worked at a 3rd tier ib in BO
3 fo sws at 3 bbs and 1 2nd tier
1st year summer internship in fo bb (trading & m&a rotations)

and got my penultimate year from converting my spring week
Original post by gr8wizard10
thank you,

2 bbs, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you,

Did you put all the insight days and the BO work on your CV when you applied for Spring weeks? Do you feel that it helped you get interviews?
Original post by Princepieman

yup, holiday heat getting to me

Original post by Trapz99
Did you put all the insight days and the BO work on your CV when you applied for Spring weeks? Do you feel that it helped you get interviews?

my insight days were one line & yeah deffo put the BO exp on my cv, one of my biggest selling points and 100% where I learnt the most about the industry
Hey guys,

I'm graduating in summer 2017, but as I plan to do a Masters immediately after; when entering my graduation date during applications do you reckon I should stick with 2017 or use 2018?

Cheers!
Reply 109
thank you,

Thanks for the reply, a couple further questions;

How did you have time for the 7-8 insights? Was this all in the summer i.e. after you finished year 12? Were they all at different times? And also by insights do you mean just one day insights or also programmes such as JPM 1 week programmes?
I'm sorry but what do you mean by 3 "fo sws" and also 3 "bbs" and "fo bb".
Thank you vm for the reply it is of great help.
Original post by Vl7d

How did you have time for the 7-8 insights? Was this all in the summer i.e. after you finished year 12? Were they all at different times? And also by insights do you mean just one day insights or also programmes such as JPM 1 week programmes?

FO = front office
BB = bulge bracket bank

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
FO = front office
BB = bulge bracket bank

Posted from TSR Mobile

I must've been so tired yesterday because I actually knew what both these terms meant but they were in conjunction l o l forgive me and thanks for the help princepieman. Still unsure of "sws" though and I am almost certain I do not know this one. :/
Original post by Vl7d
I must've been so tired yesterday because I actually knew what both these terms meant but they were in conjunction l o l forgive me and thanks for the help princepieman. Still unsure of "sws" though and I am almost certain I do not know this one. :/

spring weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile
consistent good feedback, enthusiasm, networking

I knew what it was like going on, so the view hasn't changed much (if at all)

I'll put it in my savings account, think I should probably start being a bit more responsible with my finances

spoke to all senior members of my team.. the VPs we would just banter all day long, directors and MDs are very good career/advice mentors so occasionally picked their brain on more longer term thinking. but they were always abroad on meetings, so communication wasn't as common.

hopefully will be a bit more relaxed, will take this year as sort of time off

15-16 avg

You banter with your superiors? Gosh, I want to be able to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does the MBA system into banking work?

do they just apply for the grad schemes, are they offered the positions straight out through nepotism or is there some other way i've never heard of. (I'm asking more in terms of the US btw)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BabyLadDarren
How does the MBA system into banking work?

do they just apply for the grad schemes, are they offered the positions straight out through nepotism or is there some other way i've never heard of. (I'm asking more in terms of the US btw)

MBA recruiting is basically the same as US undergrad/standard masters recruiting. Except they apply for summer associate roles rather than summer analyst, then convert to a full time offer. As always in banking, most hires come from the intern programme - but someone who has interned elsewhere may still have a shot.

If you go to a target school you would submit your application through a school specific link (or resume drop off), then are called into a first round interview on campus then a superday of many interviews at the office you've applied for.

Whilst networking isn't going to, by itself, land you an interview (unless you have significant senior pull), it makes it easier for your CV to be noticed if you've taken part in all the various events and special dinners that banks (and consulting firms) hold. Plus, of course, the speaking with professionals in your team of interest.

Where networking is paramount however is when there is no on campus recruiting or general online application process. Roles in smaller hedge funds, smaller private equity houses, VC firms, lower profile asset managers tend to fit in here.

So the MBA system is really: recruit for summer internships y1, do summer internship, convert (or re-recruit for full time) before finishing y2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

worst: getting staffed by 2 people at midnight when I had 3 hours sleep the night before

haha when you are going home at 3am asking yourself why you're doing this

Forgive my noob-ness: what do you mean by getting staffed?

was there a regular working day as in start and end time?

How did you prepare for your SI (once you knew you had it) was it brushing up on ppt/excel etc? Also; did you have a strategy about how to play the internship before starting and if so, could you outline it briefly?

Finally, what dept is your FT position in / what product group? Was said offer in the area where you got on with fellow staff the best or just where you were interested in the product / department the most or were you given that?

But yh; big up yourself G; you made it :smile: you must be well gassed (Y) Is the offer conditional on a 2:1 or?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tazza ma razza

How did you prepare for your SI (once you knew you had it) was it brushing up on ppt/excel etc? Also; did you have a strategy about how to play the internship before starting and if so, could you outline it briefly?

Finally, what dept is your FT position in / what product group? Was said offer in the area where you got on with fellow staff the best or just where you were interested in the product / department the most or were you given that?

But yh; big up yourself G; you made it :smile: you must be well gassed (Y) Is the offer conditional on a 2:1 or?

In IBD, you have a staffer that assigns you on different deals/projects so as to make sure the junior resources are well allocated and aren't idling around. You're usually staffed on a few different deals/projects at any given time.

M&A for the product group he's in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In IBD, you have a staffer that assigns you on different deals/projects so as to make sure the junior resources are well allocated and aren't idling around. You're usually staffed on a few different deals/projects at any given time.

M&A for the product group he's in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohhhhh so basically he/she is the worst person to see (especially when you're already up to your eyes in work)

Oh nice - that's huge!

cheers btw pal (Y)
Original post by Vl7d

insights are 1-2 day events, during the term holidays and summer yes at different times ofc.

3 Spring weeks in front office and bulge bracket institutions

Original post by tazza ma razza

staffed means getting given work

no regular working day, start at 9 and end whenever I'm done

just mainly knowing technicals and gaining proficiency with excel and PowerPoint again. strategy: work hard and check work 5x before handing it in

corp fin & m&a industry coverage (all grads go into the cohort pool anyway and we work across industries/products)

I assume it's conditional but didn't see that on the contract, that being said I haven't read it properly

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending