The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Disapointed tbh.*

Wife needs a new phone, she is still using an old Iphone4 with a cracked screen..

She is a pain in the arse to find a new phone for though, because she doesnt like the design of the new Iphones, and thinks they are a waste of money.. she doesnt want one of the old-style Iphones, because then she thinks 'why did I bother upgrading', and she wont go android because she likes the apple operating system..

What do you do? Any non-awful hacks to put IOS onto an android phone? is that even possible?*
Original post by Fizzel
I just think Apple used to be pretty well ahead of the competition innovation wise, and even when Samsung were beating them on specs the whole package just wasn't as good. That always justified the premium price point. But as time has gone on, the iPhone has really just stagnated specs wise, even iOS is just pretty lame now. Hasn't evolved and is very limited in how it can without a fully redesign, iOS10 side by side with Android N just looks pretty dated. The notifications and multitasking are still bodge jobs. Overall its just a piss take now, nothing about the whole experience is standout other than the price. They have pretty much released the same phone for 3 years straight, other than de rigueur internals bump. With something like Siri which long term you would expect to be at the heart of the user experience, the development is just a joke still pretty much a gimmick. You look at what Amazon are doing with the echo, Google have now on tap and home coming this year. Apple don't even feel the need to invest some of those massive profits on a response. I think it just goes to show what near contempt Apple have for their customers that on the back on declining sales this is what they are offering for their flagship product.

Near an upgrade myself, and half expected them to lull everyone into expecting little change and then headlining something to put them back ahead, but no. Basically 2 years worth of R&D between this and the 6. Genuinely wondering how long it will be before they start selling a tin of polish and a sticker kit, so you can upgrade you old iPhone for £600+. People will still queue up for that.

Unfortunately Apple don't need to upgrade simply because they have the majority and they have the "norm". Most young people you meet nowadays have iPhones and its natural for people to just want the next one up because it's easy. It's easy to have your phone link up to iTunes and sync everything.

Similarly to FIFA, Apple know they have the crowd so they'll only upgrade tiny bits at the time so it's different enough to be justified as another phone. I completely agree the price is insane and the changes are indefensible. Did that stop me paying for a new iPhone at the start of this year? Nope.

Unfortunately for Samsung, they don't have the crowd and that's why they'll never beat Apple unless they do something absolutely huge.
Disagree that Apple "have the crowd" tbh, I don't think they've had the crowd in ages. I know a lot more people with Android's than Iphone's these days.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Disapointed tbh.*

Wife needs a new phone, she is still using an old Iphone4 with a cracked screen..

She is a pain in the arse to find a new phone for though, because she doesnt like the design of the new Iphones, and thinks they are a waste of money.. she doesnt want one of the old-style Iphones, because then she thinks 'why did I bother upgrading', and she wont go android because she likes the apple operating system..

What do you do? Any non-awful hacks to put IOS onto an android phone? is that even possible?*

If she wants to stay within the Apple ecosystem then why not get her the iPhone SE? It was released earlier this year and it's basically the shape and size of the 5s whereas it has some of the internals of the 6s like a faster chip, supports apple pay, 12mp camera etc. Going from the 4 to SE she'll enjoy the bigger screen size without having a bulky phone.
Original post by AR_95
Disagree that Apple "have the crowd" tbh, I don't think they've had the crowd in ages. I know a lot more people with Android's than Iphone's these days.

Not sure it's fair to compare by OS, that's 1 company vs several. But yeah, Samsung are beating Apple these days.
Original post by AR_95

Tbh it could be my bias - I spot IPhones a mile off and probably don't notice others as much.

I think for me personally it's just that 90% of the people I text have iPhones so my perception may be a bit skewed there.

Even so, I fully appreciate there are better phones out there than iPhones but I just can't seem to get out of the loop, and more importantly I don't want to.
It's illogical I know, but it's also simple and easy with Apple.

I don't have any other Apple products though, just the phone.
Original post by Lúcio
Tbh it could be my bias - I spot IPhones a mile off and probably don't notice others as much.

I think for me personally it's just that 90% of the people I text have iPhones so my perception may be a bit skewed there.

Even so, I fully appreciate there are better phones out there than iPhones but I just can't seem to get out of the loop, and more importantly I don't want to.
It's illogical I know, but it's also simple and easy with Apple.

I don't have any other Apple products though, just the phone.

It won't be simple and easy with the Iphone 7. Plus IOS being " easier to use" is somewhat of a myth because Android isn't any harder for the casual user. IOS looked nicer but new Android updates are leaving IOS in the shadows tbh. I get that Iphone's looked better aesthetically too but the new Galaxy's look and feel so much better with their glass/metal cases.
Anyone notice Carl Froch's Nose job rofl?

waited until retirement

Spoiler

Original post by Lúcio
We all know somebody like fallen acorns would've gotten in on the act and ruined it *with random** asterisks...*.*...*

**** * * ** * -

you know what I mean...

Original post by swirly
think about it, sometimes he hates muslims, sometimes he loves them.

ages back a friend used to post on this account as well, but hasnt done so in atleast 3-4 years.

Spoiler

Original post by Kenan and Kel
I have an iPhone, and I'm also gonna buy Golovkin-Brook. Cause I'm a sucker for a bit of hype.

No regrets on either decision.

Looking forward to this. GGG knockout?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Looking forward to this. GGG knockout?

Most likely, I reckon somewhere in Rounds 7-9.
Reply 8651
GGG with the early knockdown. Brook's shook (dat rhyme) Game over in the middle rounds (predict 6) once Brook can't take anymore of the beating.
Original post by Lúcio
It's easy to have your phone link up to iTunes and sync everything.
This was a big thing back in the day but how many people are desperate to use iTunes these days? I've gutted my library to make more space. Most people I know are using Spotify or something as their primary source of music. When I look through my iPhone now the only Apple app I use regular is the podcast app.

I think you are right about the loop though, that is kind of what I was talking about. People just replace their old iPhone for a new one, but if people start straying like a know a fair few of my friends have, I do think a lot of the gap between Android and iOS has closed tbh. Its not like back in the day where all the best apps were App Store and Google play was a bit lame, and Samsung in particular have stepped their hardware game up a lot. That in combination with things like iTunes being less used, things like whatsapp, not as many Apple apps being used.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Most likely, I reckon somewhere in Rounds 7-9.
Think similar. Brook is going to need to move exceptionally, and that is a lot easier on fresh legs and with a clear head. Think he'll dance for a couple of rounds then GGG will start landing.
Apple music >> Spotify
Original post by difeo
Apple music >> Spotify
If you like less songs for the same money then yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is really horrifying

You can hear him get progressively more desperate and tell the exact moment South Tower collapses. Words can't even describe it. Imagine being one of the workers on the impact floors, one minute your mindlessly responding to emails, you look outside the windows and see a jetliner coming at you :frown:
Original post by Fizzel
If you like less songs for the same money then yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like Taylor instead of endless songs that no one cares about (4 million with literally 0 plays as of 2014)
Original post by difeo
I like Taylor instead of endless songs that no one cares about (4 million with literally 0 plays as of 2014)
She's a dirty money grabber. We all know you only play Taylor to lure those pre teens into your van you nonce.
Original post by Fizzel
She's a dirty money grabber. We all know you only play Taylor to lure those pre teens into your van you nonce.

Anybody else seen Seth Rogans new movie - Sausage party?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest