The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

did they tell passengers where they can buy pirate copy dvds?
Original post by alevelstresss
none of this page suggests avoiding races

hard to do really given the homogeneous nature of China.

But then the advice wasn't about avoiding races just areas were certain communities are dominant

While you may accept the odd rape of a lone female or a robbery as being acceptable it seems some aren't and will take steps to negate the risk
none of this page suggests avoiding races

You seem to judge the Chinese, their ways and morality purely through the eyes of a modern liberal, social justice campaigning, westerner. You must accept that they have not fallen foul of political correctness, and do not have such a concept as safe spaces (well, neither do we outside the cloistered world of the NUS), nor do they feel the need to hide their views as many westerners do.

They are different.

By the same token, many Middle Eastern countries don't permit many things that the western democracies think are essential.
I remember when I was about 10 years old, I was in central London with my grandparents and we needed directions. So I approached two women (who looking back must of been tourists), asking if they knew where a particular underground was. And they looked at me like I just threw acid in their faces and jogged away from me. I guess I have a better idea as to why they looked so scared when I spoke to them :colondollar:. I was so confused at the time though.
It's not just the Dalai Lama; we have huge issues with them regarding pretty much everything nowadays. From border disputes to the NSG etc.

And as an Indian, I really wouldn't blame a publication if it said "Avoid this Indian area". And I say this with the utmost love for my country. But the fact is that the more established Indians in foreign countries acclimatize into the society. They live everywhere. The Indian areas have Indians from a specific part of India, who are your average immigrants living in developed countries. I wish I could say otherwise, but I've been in uni for 2 months. I've experienced more hostile (and mildly racist) behaviour from Indians here than I've actually experienced from the "white people".
Original post by Good bloke
You seem to judge the Chinese, their ways and morality purely through the eyes of a modern liberal, social justice campaigning, westerner. You must accept that they have not fallen foul of political correctness, and do not have such a concept as safe spaces (well, neither do we outside the cloistered world of the NUS), nor do they feel the need to hide their views as many westerners do.

They are different.

By the same token, many Middle Eastern countries don't permit many things that the western democracies think are essential.

Is it actually possible for you to attack my argument without these absurd, assumptive labels? I'm not a 'modern liberal' or a social justice campaigner. But that seems to be the core of your response.

And political correctness is a stupid term criticised by people who want to justify their hateful and discriminatory opinions. Its disturbing how many people on here are trying to say that advising against going to high-black / high-indian / high-pakistani areas because they are violent, isn't racist. This is just disgusting, it labels all of these people as more likely to be dangerous and uncivilised.
This is just disgusting, it labels all of these people as more likely to be dangerous and uncivilised.

On the basis of pure probability, isn't that true?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
No, they clearly link the two, eg, they give the colour of the local population as the reason for avoiding the area.

I do wonder though if this is one of those lost in translation things. Perhaps the Chinese source doesn't quite come over this way, or then again, maybe they watered it down for the English version?

Honestly, its probably not a mistranslation at all. People over here in china are very blunt and matter of fact with their opinions about race.

I work in education, and parents will happily come up and say 'I dont want a black/brown/indian/african teacher for their kids. I ask why and they explain that they think there is a greater chance of their child learning non-optimum things, such as mis-pronounciations of words, non-white/western culture, bad bodylanguage habbits etc.

now in our western eyes much of that is ******** and would be coined racist, but for them its the reality they see, and they are very blunt with it. So for me, I have no doubt at all they would not have had a second thought of saying to their tourists dont go to these areas because they contain X minority.. either for health reasons, or because they just dont want to see minorities when they come to england (in their eyes england is still a white country, so that is what they want to see when they come here)
Original post by fallen_acorns
Honestly, its probably not a mistranslation at all. People over here in china are very blunt and matter of fact with their opinions about race.

I work in education, and parents will happily come up and say 'I dont want a black/brown/indian/african teacher for their kids. I ask why and they explain that they think there is a greater chance of their child learning non-optimum things, such as mis-pronounciations of words, non-white/western culture, bad bodylanguage habbits etc.

now in our western eyes much of that is ******** and would be coined racist, but for them its the reality they see, and they are very blunt with it. So for me, I have no doubt at all they would not have had a second thought of saying to their tourists dont go to these areas because they contain X minority.. either for health reasons, or because they just dont want to see minorities when they come to england (in their eyes england is still a white country, so that is what they want to see when they come here)

The irony is that many white people see Chinese people in some of those ways.

Racism is often a double-edged sword. It's sad though that such a large and important country contains so much blatant racism, but I guess it's a global problem.
Is it actually possible for you to attack my argument without these absurd, assumptive labels? I'm not a 'modern liberal' or a social justice campaigner. But that seems to be the core of your response.

Not at all. The core of my response - the bit you ignored in your rush to attack me - is that the Chinese are, on the whole, different from westerners in this area and that you should not (and have no right to) expect them to hold the same opinions as you (or anyone in the west) about what is right or what is the right language to use.
Original post by chemting
Maybe they should avoid going to places in their own country... like Tibet :tongue:

They already do...it is the tibetans that keep flooding into china south west area eg xi chuan.
Original post by Good bloke
Not at all. The core of my response - the bit you ignored in your rush to attack me - is that the Chinese are, on the whole, different from westerners in this area and that you should not (and have no right to) expect them to hold the same opinions as you (or anyone in the west) about what is right or what is the right language to use.

If you wanted me to address your point, you should've emphasised it better instead of rushing to call me an SJW / modern liberal. Stop being a hypocrite.
Original post by Charzhino
On the basis of pure probability, isn't that true?

if blacks are a small percentage more likely to commit crimes, it doesn't warrant people to discriminate against every single black
If you wanted me to address your point, you should've emphasised it better instead of rushing to call me an SJW / modern liberal. Stop being a hypocrite.

Another personal attack, and the same point still unaddressed.
Air China Media, which publishes the Wings of China magazine, said it wished to apologise to "readers and passengers who are feeling uncomfortable".

It added: "This inappropriate description... was purely a work mistake by the editors and it's not the magazine's views."We will immediately recall this entire issue of magazines and draw lessons from this incident."

you just opened the box of pandora mate...i generally avoid starting debates of this nature...
if blacks are a small percentage more likely to commit crimes, it doesn't warrant people to discriminate against every single black

no one has said they should be discriminated against

Straw man number 109.....
What if we said any travellers going to China forget it altogether because they eat dogs and foetuses and practice black magic. not vegan friendly nor humane and even scary :smile:.

Very racist and the generalisation is disgusting.
Original post by L'absurde
I see nothing wrong with what they did. But of course some people will get all butt-hurt.

And one more thing, being British is to do with skin colour as well...sorry to say it. There are Somali people whose families have lived in the UK since the 30s, they're still Somali, end of. We'd say the same about Brits in Kenya for example. They're not Kenyan. It's about culture, heritage etc. It's deeper than what is written on a document for formality's sake.

Some of you yung 'uns sound very Alf Garnettish, and I'm not left or PC at all. Very conservative.

I regard Indian sikh and Hindu culture as one of our proudest links and I consider many Indian descent people as British as can be.

I think it is rather an odd conception of Britain to say it must be christain, blue eyed, etc. Our uniqueness is in our island geography and non-conformist, libertarian, evolutionary path.
If you did all of those things and embraced whatever their culture is, I'd have no problem seeing you as korean. It's better than me being a bigot and deciding for you.

You claimed "it's also about the religion, culture and values of these ethnic groups.". I know Black and Indian families that do all of those things. I know white families who do none. In fact I remember reading that a bigger proportion of black UK residents are catholic (the countries official religion) than white residents. Do white uk residents lose British points according to you?

What you're essentially saying is "You can't be british unless you're white". In which case, I don't think it's even worth reasoning with you.

Original post by BaconandSauce
'what is British culture'

What do you define as british culture? Serious question.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending