The Student Room Group

Do you buy CDs?

Scroll to see replies

I stopped buying CDs within the past year. I only kept with it so long because I like a lot of Johnny's Entertainment artists and their music isn't available digitally outside of Japan. I kind of went off the agency's music when my favourite groups started to lose members and my top favourite went on hiatus, so after their tenth anniversary album dropped I stopped importing physical CDs. Stopped buying physical CDs in the UK around 7-8yrs ago.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by spotify95
320kbps would be nice, and if I adjusted my windows media player settings, I could import everything as 320kbps, but that will take up almost double the storage space and on devices such as phones, MP3 players etc, the slightly lower bit rate does make a big difference.

Now when they have 64GB or 128GB storage as standard on phones, then yeah, 320kbps will be viable, but not right now when 16GB phones are still out there!

Can't you just use a Micro SD card?...

It's like £13 for a 64GB SanDisk Ultra. Pretty sure you can pick up a class 10 64GB MSD from Lexar for about £10, there's a pack of 2 Toshiba Exceria 64GB MSD cards for ~£20 on amazon.

OT:
Yes, albeit a somewhat recent thing for me. I just sorta like the idea of having something physical, that and I was finding that digital copies (from sources I trust anyway) seemed to cost more than brand new CDs. In fact, I actually bought two today.

Spoiler

No. I had to stop buying CDs because I ran out of room. :lol: :redface:
I have spotify however only use it for walking to and from school.
Only yesterday I bought Cleopatra buy The Lumineers on CD and there is a nice satisfaction in having a physical product and I like the the fact that with a CD you get the lyrics booklet and especially on this particular CD you get the extension of the CD Cover.

Overall if I'm near a HMV I will go in to look for CD's. But spotify is quick and easy to use.
Yep! I never buy a download. Basically, I like to have a physical thing in posession when I spend my money on things. Also I could delete the song/file with a click of a button so easily and that's my money wasted whereas a CD is much harder to get rid of. I use Spotify when I'm on my laptop but never buy any songs. It's good to spy out new music and figure out which albums I want to buy. That being said I listen to a lot of acapella music and most of those groups are uni groups, generally in America that don't sell physical versions online :/
Original post by TheMcSame
Can't you just use a Micro SD card?...

It's like £13 for a 64GB SanDisk Ultra. Pretty sure you can pick up a class 10 64GB MSD from Lexar for about £10, there's a pack of 2 Toshiba Exceria 64GB MSD cards for ~£20 on amazon.

OT:
Yes, albeit a somewhat recent thing for me. I just sorta like the idea of having something physical, that and I was finding that digital copies (from sources I trust anyway) seemed to cost more than brand new CDs. In fact, I actually bought two today.

Spoiler

Yeah, I've already got a 16GB microSD card in both my phone and my tablet - so 32GB total for each, which is not bad :smile:
I'm not going to re-rip everything in 320kbps though!

Spoiler

Yeah dude. I don't have a huge collection by any means as I only started buying CDs last year. I also am very picky, I only buy CDs from my fave artists which can guarantee at least some enjoyment. Otherwise I just buy albums from iTunes store from my phone. I like CDs better in some ways as the quality is superior (I notice) and they are also physical copies which are for the most part aesthetically pleasing. In other ways I don't like them as they can take up room very quickly and are quite easy to lose, which is a nightmare for unorganised people like me.

I only have 7 albums on CDs lol, my friend's dad has a library room with at least four or five hundred records for sure. It's incredible, but not something I would aspire to xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, I haven't recently as I'm living abroad but there's just something satisfying about having the CD. I have about 250 now, plus maybe 15 or 20 vinyls. Having to put a little effort into playing an album definitely makes you listen to it a little more closely!
Of course: s/h CDs are bargains, and means you're not at the mercy of Apple or Spotify or whoever deciding that you can no longer do that with the thing you paid for (Apple have form for that) or that you can no longer listen to that track (Spotify, all the time as they lose streaming rights).

If your tastes extend out of the top 40, the selection is much better too. I can and do browse lots of trance on Spotify, but it's crap for opera.
Reply 49
Yeah, I've already got a 16GB microSD card in both my phone and my tablet - so 32GB total for each, which is not bad :smile:
I'm not going to re-rip everything in 320kbps though!

Spoiler

Go FLAC or go home. :wink:
Original post by Dez
Go FLAC or go home. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion, I may well look into FLAC. Though will FLAC play in all of my devices? As MP3 is universally playable in almost anything.
Reply 51
Thanks for the suggestion, I may well look into FLAC. Though will FLAC play in all of my devices? As MP3 is universally playable in almost anything.

Well, the handy thing about having a collection in FLAC is that you can re-encode it in practically any format. Encoding FLAC->MP3 is (nearly) equivalent to a CD->MP3 straight rip, whereas encoding CD->MP3->AAC for example would result in a lossier version of the file.
I love CDs. I like having a collection, looking at the booklets inside, plus the sound is often really good.
Yes i still buy cds, got a nice collection alongside my vinyl collection :smile:

For my flac songs i have to use my flac player, my phone doesn't work with them. You can get them pretty cheap.
Original post by _b_e_n_
For my flac songs i have to use my flac player, my phone doesn't work with them. You can get them pretty cheap.

In which case, MP3 it is!
If I need to, I'll re-rip them in 320kbps format.
Original post by Marked Target
Does anyone still buy CDs?

I feel like i only know of 3 people who still do (myself included). Having a CD makes me feel like i actually own the music and it makes it more of a collection to me. Just downloading music feels totally wrong and buying it online seems pointless considering you can easily get it for free.

Has anyone ever bought cds in Poundland ? If not you all need to go and look at them at least once a week because they always get new cds each week.
I love buying cds. I used to pay the full price for them but realised 3 years ago that cds i always wanted to get but never got round to buying are now being sold in Poundland. It's brilliant and i have saved so much money by getting them in there.
6 months ago I'd already spent £20 buying 20 cds in Poundland so I could not afford to get the Alisha Keys one so i left it and was planning to come back for it by hiding it at the back of the shelf as sometimes this works but the next day it had gone so i was so pissed off. When Kings of Leon cd first came out i bought it for £10 but last week i could not believe it was in the pound shop. It's the one that has the song Sex on Fire on it. I also bought Plan B, Lady GaGa, Keane, Maroon 5, Usher, Justin Bieber, dance compilations, etc, etc.
I can't believe the bargains i get in there cds and dvds wise.
I stopped buying dvds 3 years ago in Poundland because i can watch them all on the free film websites on the internet. I just write down the names of the films on dvds in Poundland and then watch them on the internet.
As well as cds, dvds they do lots of autobiographies by celebrities and normal books.
In which case, MP3 it is!
If I need to, I'll re-rip them in 320kbps format.

ALAC is the other option to FLAC. It's Apple and natively supported by iTunes/iPhone, and I think players are available for Android. Because both FLAC and ALAC are lossless formats you should be able to re-encode to other formats with no loss of quality when compared to encoding from the CD - MP3 will always lose some information which can't be recovered. iTunes can be set to automatically re-rip to MP3/AAC at various bit rates when transferring to iPhone/iPad.

The advantage of ripping to a lossless format is you can re-rip to anything else and the results will be as good as ripping directly from the CD, so you never need to rip the CD again. The downside is they do take up more space.
Original post by Judge Judy
Has anyone ever bought cds in Poundland ? If not you all need to go and look at them at least once a week because they always get new cds each week.

Some people don't like buying preowned, as far as I'm aware all CDs sold at poundland, at least for £1, are "replay" stock which is "pre owned" and "refurbished".
(edited 7 years ago)
I still buy CD's

Quick Reply

Latest