The Student Room Group

Philosophy and Ethics (RS) A-Level ?

I am contemplating whether or not to swap Government and Politics to Philosophy and Ethics (RS). I have an interest in both but I would like to hopefully study Philosophy and Theology at Oxford in the future. Therefore, I wanted to get your advice on whether changing my A-level to RS would be a wise decision. My current A-levels are as follows:

English Literature
History
Economics
Government & Politics
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
I am contemplating whether or not to swap Government and Politics to Philosophy and Ethics (RS). I have an interest in both but I would like to hopefully study Philosophy and Theology at Oxford in the future. Therefore, I wanted to get your advice on whether changing my A-level to RS would be a wise decision. My current A-levels are as follows:

English Literature
History
Economics
Government & Politics

Your advice in this situation would be most appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

English Literature
History
Economics
Government & Politics

If you're doing RS at university it might prove itself more relevant! I've done both of these subjects, personally I enjoyed Philosophy and Ethics more. They're similar structure so it's mainly your preference and what you think will put you in a better position for university- probably P&E.
Original post by DeafeningSilence
If you're doing RS at university it might prove itself more relevant! I've done both of these subjects, personally I enjoyed Philosophy and Ethics more. They're similar structure so it's mainly your preference and what you think will put you in a better position for university- probably P&E.

Thank you for your response. I would like to study Philosophy and Theology at university. Would you still say that P&E would be more beneficial ? Again, thanks for the response. Your advice is most appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for your response. I would like to study Philosophy and Theology at university. Would you still say that P&E would be more beneficial ? Again, thanks for the response. Your advice is most appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely would be more useful! Although it's possible to go into the philisophical side of politics, it's not at all in the spectrum. Politics A-Level will be all about politics, lots of contemporary stuff, electoral systems ect. Philosopy and Ethics gives you a good grounding. For example we did Kant, Utilitarianism, Plato, Teleological argument ect.... It's such an interesting subject and I absolutely loved it!
Hey! I'm doing English literature, government politics, philosophy and maths. However, I dropped philosophy within the first few lessons because I found it dull and didn't enjoy the subject at all. Government and politics on the other hand is much more interesting and I love the discussions we have in class. I am now doing maths economics politics and literature.

Personally, I'll recommend you keep government and politics and drop philosophy.
Definitely would be more useful! Although it's possible to go into the philisophical side of politics, it's not at all in the spectrum. Politics A-Level will be all about politics, lots of contemporary stuff, electoral systems ect. Philosopy and Ethics gives you a good grounding. For example we did Kant, Utilitarianism, Plato, Teleological argument ect.... It's such an interesting subject and I absolutely loved it!

I see. I will definitely be changing my A level choice then. I guess I would be getting some political knowledge from History and Economics as it is and having Philosophy and Ethics will definitely be interesting and something different. Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goldenusername
Hey! I'm doing English literature, government politics, philosophy and maths. However, I dropped philosophy within the first few lessons because I found it dull and didn't enjoy the subject at all. Government and politics on the other hand is much more interesting and I love the discussions we have in class. I am now doing maths economics politics and literature.

Personally, I'll recommend you keep government and politics and drop philosophy.

I see. I understand that you may have found it dull but do you think that it would be useful for my chosen degree as another member has said that it is quite useful ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goldenusername

Thanks for the response. Most appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see. I will definitely be changing my A level choice then. I guess I would be getting some political knowledge from History and Economics as it is and having Philosophy and Ethics will definitely be interesting and something different. Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want politics then online politics articles/politics shows are really useful! It'll be good for you to try P&E, there's nothing quite like it so it's good to know if you do before you spend 3 years and £27,000 studying it! No problem! :smile:
If you want politics then online politics articles/politics shows are really useful! It'll be good for you to try P&E, there's nothing quite like it so it's good to know if you do before you spend 3 years and £27,000 studying it! No problem! :smile:

I do follow politics. What I had meant to say was that taking History and Economics would give me political knowledge as it is. 😂😂 Indeed. I think I will take P&E as I have always had an interest in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do follow politics. What I had meant to say was that taking History and Economics would give me political knowledge as it is. 😂😂 Indeed. I think I will take P&E as I have always had an interest in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh it definitely will! I took History Economics Maths and Politics... My P&E AS Level was done along side my GCSEs... I wish I could have taken it further. But yeah, economics is actually amazing because it shows you what the politicians should be doing
Oh it definitely will! I took History Economics Maths and Politics... My P&E AS Level was done along side my GCSEs... I wish I could have taken it further. But yeah, economics is actually amazing because it shows you what the politicians should be doing

Then it is confirmed. P&E it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have been most helpful. Thank you ever so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have been most helpful. Thank you ever so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, good luck!
No problem, good luck!

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending