The Student Room Group

Do Oxbridge accept students with mental health problems?

Hi, I'm currently on my gap year. I received 4 A*s at A-Level in English literature, history, maths and fine art. In addition, I got an A* in my EPQ and an A in AS critical thinking. I'm planning on applying to Cambridge to study law however I am wondering if they will not consider me because of my ADHD and issues that I've had with anorexia. Does anyone know if this will affect my chances of getting in?
Original post by firerose18
Hi, I'm currently on my gap year. I received 4 A*s at A-Level in English literature, history, maths and fine art. In addition, I got an A* in my EPQ and an A in AS critical thinking. I'm planning on applying to Cambridge to study law however I am wondering if they will not consider me because of my ADHD and issues that I've had with anorexia. Does anyone know if this will affect my chances of getting in?

Those are some impressive grades. Well done!

And yes, they do consider people with MH conditions. It would be discriminatory if they did not! I got an offer and was upfront about my anxiety and depression.

When you make your application, you have to fill out the SAQ. If any reasonable adjustments have to be made, make sure to note them down.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by firerose18

As per Kvothe's reply.

And just to note, with your A-level results you are guaranteed at the very least an interview (due to their application pooling rules), and likely you would have a competitive application.

Congratulations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At Cam, about 25% of students suffer from depression and/or anxiety at one time or another. So it is practically normal. Unfortunately, MH support is uneven in accordance with what college you are in. This might interest you:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/06/cambridge-university-student-depression-eating-disorders
Reply 4
Original post by alcibiade
At Cam, about 25% of students suffer from depression and/or anxiety at one time or another. So it is practically normal. Unfortunately, MH support is uneven in accordance with what college you are in. This might interest you:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/06/cambridge-university-student-depression-eating-disorders

25% is actually in line with the average for annual MH issues in England as a whole. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending