The Student Room Group

A level computing

So my cousin, he done accounting at uni, but didn't do it at a level, he said he found accounting at uni easy for the first year but after one year he found it extremely difficult; so difficult that he quit uni altogether (now he works at heathrow airport)! This made me extremely anxious because I want to do computing at uni but I'm not doing a level computing! Does this mean after one year of uni, am I going to find computing extremely hard??
Original post by varshan_k
So my cousin, he done accounting at uni, but didn't do it at a level, he said he found accounting at uni easy for the first year but after one year he found it extremely difficult; so difficult that he quit uni altogether (now he works at heathrow airport)! This made me extremely anxious because I want to do computing at uni but I'm not doing a level computing! Does this mean after one year of uni, am I going to find computing extremely hard??

Most computer science courses require Maths as the underlying principles of computer science are in Maths; computer science at A-level may be useful to develop your interest and knowledge in the subject, as well as your logical and problem-solving abilities, but I believe most university courses do not require computer science :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by some-student
Most computer science courses require Maths as the underlying principles of computer science are in Maths; computer science at A-level may be useful to develop your interest and knowledge in the subject, as well as your logical and problem-solving abilities, but I believe most university courses do not require computer science :smile:

thanks for your advice, at university will they teach computer science from the absolute beginning?
Original post by varshan_k
thanks for your advice, at university will they teach computer science from the absolute beginning?

It depends on the course that you take, but I believe that due to computer science not being studied as widely as maths or english for example, they should hopefully teach from the basics. I'm not an expert on this (A-level student myself) and so perhaps looking at courses on university websites may help you on deciding which one will support you the most :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest