The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danni998
Suppose we had to write an essay based on something we literally have no idea about, how would we provide supporting evidence for it?

The themes are normally pretty broad, they're not that cruel. However, providing examples is important and the more unique/original your argument and the examples provided should equate to a better score (this is a general belief). This is one of the reasons why it is important to read widely prior to the exam, newspapers and news websites, books that cover multiple themes (The Meaning Of Things by Grayling - really recommend this book) so that you should feel somewhat prepared.

It is also why doing practise essays is important, as it helps to realise how quickly you can come up with ideas surrounding a quote or theme. Sometimes in your head you think that it would be easy to write about a certain subject, but may actually struggle to put pen to paper. Practise essays help force you to be vigilante and to come up with a solid plan quickly within your reading time, so that when you can start to write you can jot down your plan quickly (so you don't forget it) and then get right into writing.

Essay A should be socio-cultural themed.

Essay B should be have a more personal theme.
Original post by ddll87
Guys hows your study going???

I just finally did the practice test, I got 60 percent on S1 and 75 on S2, is it good? Just checked randomly and found this material called Des O'Neill, it's so difficult! Im even worrying that I couldn't score more than 50!!! Any tips for the last minute?

I'd say 60% is slightly below average for S1. My practise papers were typically 65%+ and my GAMSAT scores ranged from 51-63 in the exam.

75% is a pretty good score for S3 though.

I'd say the Des O'Neille stuff is harder than the actual exam. Have you done the official ACER papers yet? If not do them prior to the exam and most importantly go through the explanations on youtube (GAMSAT Gold Standard channel) for any questions you guessed or didn't know.
Reply 582
Original post by Themightylaa
When you say S2, do you mean S3? And did you perform it under the exam conditions (the same time constraints)? It's impossible to say what a percentage is in relation to a GAMSAT score since no one has accurately figured out any kind of conversion anywhere, it's very complicated, but they sound alright to me. 75% in S3 if that's what you mean is a very high score, getting 3/4's of all Q's right would put you in a strong place I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Thanks (and Marathi as well, I don't know how to quote your reply tho :P)

It is S3, sorry for my mistake :P

I'm from a non science background, so I've already tried my best to do whatever I can, but still it looks very overwhelming!!!

For the S1, tbh I'm a not an Eng native speaker, I just started learning English a few years ago, so it's a bit tough for me.... I've tried everything I can to improve my reading skills, but there are so many words I don't know.......

BTW, they are all performed under exam condition, I have about 30 minutes left in S3 and 10 minutes left in S1, I like to rush things haha

P.S. another question for S2, is my grammar going to affect my score? I have no problem coming up with different ideas and examples, but there are quite a bit of grammatical errors in my essays (I bet I have made a few in my reply already), are they going to score my grammar as well, or they are going to ignore it?
(edited 7 years ago)
You sound like you've done very well considering you aren't native to English and you aren't a science grad especially! You'll be fine.

I've just finished the purple practice paper and got 78% in S1 and, inexplicably, 59% in S3. Completely tanked it, considering I'm a science grad that's wrong. Didn't really get into the entire section though, didn't like many of the questions at all. Feel like my essays are fine but I hope I don't have a day like that for S3 next Wednesday, I think with that high of an S1 I would possibly still be above a score of 60 barely (main goal is Notts who don't double score S3 if your average of all 3 equally is higher) but it wouldn't be ideal... Guess I better go through it tomorrow and figure out where I messed up. Nothing left to do now but sit the real thing 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 584
Themightylaa

I was under impression with Notts they just took the highest value once score is worked out both ways
Website says just checked website

The GAMSAT results are calculated separately in 2 ways:

i. Overall score = (section 1 + section 2+ 2 x Section 3)/4

ii. Overall score = (Section 1 + Section 2 + Section 3)/3

We use the higher of either (i) or (ii).
Original post by ssjt
Themightylaa

I was under impression with Notts they just took the highest value once score is worked out both ways
Website says just checked website

The GAMSAT results are calculated separately in 2 ways:

i. Overall score = (section 1 + section 2+ 2 x Section 3)/4

ii. Overall score = (Section 1 + Section 2 + Section 3)/3

We use the higher of either (i) or (ii).

Yeah exactly, so they would only do 2x Section 3 if it were your highest score. Since mine was crap in that practice test, if it were the real thing they would do the S1 + S2 + S3 / 3 option, since it would be higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
You sound like you've done very well considering you aren't native to English and you aren't a science grad especially! You'll be fine.

I've just finished the purple practice paper and got 78% in S1 and, inexplicably, 59% in S3. Completely tanked it, considering I'm a science grad that's wrong. Didn't really get into the entire section though, didn't like many of the questions at all. Feel like my essays are fine but I hope I don't have a day like that for S3 next Wednesday, I think with that high of an S1 I would possibly still be above a score of 60 barely (main goal is Notts who don't double score S3 if your average of all 3 equally is higher) but it wouldn't be ideal... Guess I better go through it tomorrow and figure out where I messed up. Nothing left to do now but sit the real thing 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure you will be fine for S1!!! It's definitely going to be much higher than barely 60! Otherwise I will be screwed lol

BTW you have any tips for tackling S1? Sometimes I just find it difficult to understand the text; if it is a research paper/a piece of news, then I'm fine. But if it is something abstract, like poems, novels or other sorts of literature, I just feel hopeless......

Once again, just wondering if grammar is going to be crucial in S2?
Original post by ddll87
I'm pretty sure you will be fine for S1!!! It's definitely going to be much higher than barely 60! Otherwise I will be screwed lol

BTW you have any tips for tackling S1? Sometimes I just find it difficult to understand the text; if it is a research paper/a piece of news, then I'm fine. But if it is something abstract, like poems, novels or other sorts of literature, I just feel hopeless......

Once again, just wondering if grammar is going to be crucial in S2?

S1 will always be difficult for you being a 2nd language, seriously 60 is still good considering that fact. However if struggling, at the very least eliminate options that you are sure don't seem to be correct. If you can get it down to 2, then you have a 50/50 chance at a guess, much better odds than 1/4! I hate poems/literature abstracts too, it's awful just jumping into a text with no context of the book/story etc. Just take your time and don't rush, that really helps.

Your grammar is marked for S2, yeah. Bad grammar is marked down. I believe it states they do take into some consideration the applicants background but just stick to simple grammar where you can. Many say they aren't looking for amazing essays with professional style, just solid and well structured ones that do the job efficiently and accurately. Simple English with proper spelling and grammar will do better than complex attempts poorly executed 10 times out of 10.

Good luck to you for next week 😄

Note: Had a flick through my S3 and dropped 13 marks on 2 units all about isomerism (substitutional and such) which I know very little about. So if I had that down, I would have done much better. That's made me feel better, since rather than generally doing crap I just messed up one subject area badly. Time to study 😳
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys just wondering if anyone thought it was necessary to learn all the science equations for section III?
Reply 589
S1 will always be difficult for you being a 2nd language, seriously 60 is still good considering that fact. However if struggling, at the very least eliminate options that you are sure don't seem to be correct. If you can get it down to 2, then you have a 50/50 chance at a guess, much better odds than 1/4! I hate poems/literature abstracts too, it's awful just jumping into a text with no context of the book/story etc. Just take your time and don't rush, that really helps.

Your grammar is marked for S2, yeah. Bad grammar is marked down. I believe it states they do take into some consideration the applicants background but just stick to simple grammar where you can. Many say they aren't looking for amazing essays with professional style, just solid and well structured ones that do the job efficiently and accurately. Simple English with proper spelling and grammar will do better than complex attempts poorly executed 10 times out of 10.

Good luck to you for next week 😄

Note: Had a flick through my S3 and dropped 13 marks on 2 units all about isomerism (substitutional and such) which I know very little about. So if I had that down, I would have done much better. That's made me feel better, since rather than generally doing crap I just messed up one subject area badly. Time to study 😳
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! Good luck to you too!!! Your words do calm me a lot!!

I'm not sure what isomerism is lol but I guess it is something about organic chemistry?

I feel like for the organic chemistry, it's more like pattern recognition and able to construct a 3D model in your head. What I do is that I always picture the chemical as an animal with a head up and legs down. And sometimes the "animals" do go crazy and swap the positions of their legs or head or tails. (If it does make sense LOL)
Reply 590
Original post by Joe_norvill
Hey guys just wondering if anyone thought it was necessary to learn all the science equations for section III?

I'm coming from a non science background, and I think that it is not necessary to memorise the equations. That being said, I guess it is more important for you to know the relationship of variables and constants. Especially in physics, like what is the meaning of Current, not its equation, but the meaning of it.

However you should be able to come up with basic stuffs like F=MA or KE and PE equations, different resistance in different circuit and ohms law as well.

Disclaimer: I've never sit a real GAMSAT before, so my information could be wrong lolzzzz
Reply 591
Hi Guys

For people who already took the gamsat, I was wondering for section 3, do they give you a calculator.
Reply 592
Original post by philie
Hi Guys

For people who already took the gamsat, I was wondering for section 3, do they give you a calculator.

No calculator allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any tips for section one ? Scraping a 50 at the moment..

Also biol section 3 is there anything anyone's doing in particular to prep?

Thanks!☺️
Hey guys,
Firstly, good luck to everyone sitting the GAMSAT this time round!

Few questions regarding how people are approaching the actual paper.

Any tips on how to utilise the reading time for each section? I was thinking for S1 and S3, to just go ahead and start the questions, locking in answers mentally?
And for S2, to just make a rough plan mentally of what to write for the first essay?

Also, is there any specific approach anyone would recommend for the order in which to answer the questions for both S1 and S3 (i.e: for S1, tackle long text questions first, and for S3, attempt all Biology questions first?). Or is just conventionally going through the questions what works best?
Reply 595
Hi does anyone know how much details we need to know of reactions mechanisms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zak1995
Hey guys,
Firstly, good luck to everyone sitting the GAMSAT this time round!

Few questions regarding how people are approaching the actual paper.

Any tips on how to utilise the reading time for each section? I was thinking for S1 and S3, to just go ahead and start the questions, locking in answers mentally?
And for S2, to just make a rough plan mentally of what to write for the first essay?

Also, is there any specific approach anyone would recommend for the order in which to answer the questions for both S1 and S3 (i.e: for S1, tackle long text questions first, and for S3, attempt all Biology questions first?). Or is just conventionally going through the questions what works best?

In the reading time I used this approach, after actually checking all the questions were in my booklet and there were no obvious errors as instructed:

S1 - started mentally answering questions

S2 - started creating a plan for both essays which I quickly made a note of when writing time began

S3 - checked for a small group of easy questions towards the back of the booklet that I could get done quickly

For S1 I went from front to back. For S3 I did some gimme questions that were towards/at the back of the booklet first, then worked from front to back. In future, if required, I may change my approach to neglecting the physics questions til last and focusing on my strengths in chem and bio first before the fatigue kicks in.

Not everybody agrees with me, but I think getting some pro plus or energy drinks down yourself in the break between S2 and S3 is essential. It's such a long day and so mentally draining that I feel it's required.
Does anybody know what % of questions you need to get right to get above say 55 for S1?

I am fine with the other sections but I am generally weak with verbal comprehensions.
Also just did the purple mock and did dreadfully in S3. I actually don't know what else I could have done to prepare. Oh well. Guess will just have to hope that they're kinder to us next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 599
Hi

Can't even bring myself to look at the purple mock, seem to have got to a point that I just can't seem to concentrate at all on the science bits just getting harder each day.

Kind of come to terms with the idea that I will be sitting it next year again and have started looking at the UKCAT questions for my test in 3 weeks.

Think I'm going to go through essay topics and a bit on my science notes and that's it. It can be classed as a practice and next year learn from my preparation mistakes from this year.

Good Luck to everyone on Wednesday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending