The Student Room Group

Biomedical science

Hey guys, today my teachers just confirmed my predicted grades. A*AA for Psychology, Biology and Chemistry respectively. I got a D in maths at AS and have dropped it. I'm trying to apply for biomed at UCL,KCL,QMUL, Manchester and am not sure about my final uni. I emailed the Unis and looked at their requirements. I am worried that my D in maths will hinder me from getting the offers I need. Although I dropped it, how much do they care about the 4th AS that you drop?
Reply 1
bump
most, if not, all universities definitely require a level chemistry for medicine, along with 2 other a levels from the following; biology, physics and maths

i've only just started a levels, so i have yet to revise the requirements for certain universities as i'm hoping to study biomed too:smile:
of course, doing 4 a levels is more demanding so it's seen more impressive than 3, but i don't think it matters.

i think it's good that you dropped maths

it'll help you focus on the other subjects more:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cybersnpi
most, if not, all universities definitely require a level chemistry for medicine, along with 2 other a levels from the following; biology, physics and maths

i've only just started a levels, so i have yet to revise the requirements for certain universities as i'm hoping to study biomed too:smile:

This is incorrect, people in IB only do 2 sciences maximum (unless you are doing special diploma). Theoretically you can just do Chemistry and get in. It looks good if you have bio aswell. Every other subject you take is up to you, and will be counted in the acceptance process.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I see, but will my maths ruin my chances A*AA is above the typical offer requirement for the unis that I looked for.
Reply 6
Original post by cybersnpi

For Medicine you ideally need Biology and Chemistry, Maths/Physics isn't required and many students doing Medicine have A levels that don't include Physics or Maths. Just thought I'd put that out there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by RayGhoul
Hey guys, today my teachers just confirmed my predicted grades. A*AA for Psychology, Biology and Chemistry respectively. I got a D in maths at AS and have dropped it. I'm trying to apply for biomed at UCL,KCL,QMUL, Manchester and am not sure about my final uni. I emailed the Unis and looked at their requirements. I am worried that my D in maths will hinder me from getting the offers I need. Although I dropped it, how much do they care about the 4th AS that you drop?

You should definitely apply to Medicine, those are amazing predicted grades, well done and keep working hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ahh sorry for the incorrect info, i think i was exaggerating it a bit too much

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

i guess this link is a bit relevant for potential medical applicants
Reply 9
Thanks for the help. I'm interested in Biomed though not medicine itself XD. Biomed is more like Biochem and I want to do research.
Reply 10
Original post by RayGhoul

Not sure about others but UCL wants an E in the AS you drop so i think you will be ok there.
Reply 11
Isnt that just for medicine though, for Biomedical sciences, all it says on their website is that they want AAA.
Mateeeee you'll get into KCL with those grades no doubt for Biomed ! They reduced there grade requirements to like BBB in clearing so you'll defrost get a place at all those unis ! Seriously !

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should be fine. I'm going to a different uni but got in with BBB via clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest