The Student Room Group

Muslims win prayer case against Webber Academy (Alberta, Canada).

Webber Academy ordered by the Providence's Human Rights Commission to pay $26,000 (Canadian) to the family of two Muslim students who wanted to pray in the non-denominational school.

No religious garments, no praying, no religious events: a rule they have for everyone there. You're there to learn academics.

This didn't sit well with the family who insisted they be allowed to pray in public on school property. The family was quickly told that this wouldn't be allowed and that there were plenty of Muslim schools and mosques in the area.

Instead of going somewhere else the family ran to the government yelling "DISCRIMINATION!".

Isn't ironic after being treated the exact same way as everyone else they still cry discrimination?

Source and further details found here:

[video="youtube;XELWyJeKSV0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELWyJeKSV0[/video]
Original post by Dodgypirate

Isn't ironic after being treated the exact same way as everyone else they still cry discrimination?

I'd like to point out that fairness isn't really about being treated the same way.

An example:
You can't serve a vegetarian fried chicken and claim it's fair because people have different needs.

Unsurprisingly, an Atheist has different needs to a Muslim who again has different needs to a Hindu or a Christian.

People are different. And that's a good thing.

SS
Reply 2
Original post by Supersaps
I'd like to point out that fairness isn't really about being treated the same way.

An example:
You can't serve a vegetarian fried chicken and claim it's fair because people have different needs.

Unsurprisingly, an Atheist has different needs to a Muslim who again has different needs to a Hindu or a Christian.

People are different. And that's a good thing.

SS

Well don't go to a non-denominational school then :lol:

I think more people need to think this way tbh
Reply 4
I can understand why they might need to pray in school due to their five prayers a day rule. My school is Christian but we do have many Muslim students who have a Muslim prayer club they can go to when they need to pray. It is run by the students themselves. There is also a Christian Union.
(edited 7 years ago)

Why not? Do I have to go to a vegetarian school if I don't want to eat meat?

You don't have to be an atheist or even act like one if you want to go to a non-religious school. Where did you get such a ridiculous idea?

Can you find me a state school that says you have to be an atheist or even act like one to attend it?

Also, I don't think non-denominational means what you think it means. It normally refers to Christians of all flavours.

SS
Reply 6
Original post by 1010marina
I think more people need to think this way tbh

The school I used to go to was totally "läique".

No one wore anything religious and seem I remember a small handful of people getting suspended for wearing crosses. They were that strict about it.

I personally haven't experienced the other type of school which allows all religions, so I couldn't exactly tell you which is best :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Trapz99
I can understand why they might need to pray in school due to their five prayers a day rule. My school is Christian but we do have many Muslim students who have a Muslim prayer club they can go to when they need to pray. It is run by the students themselves. There is also a Christian Union.

But this is a school which distances itself completely from all kinds of religion. They can't enforce a religion like that and call it discrimination!

The community could build a mosque separate to the school and that would solve the issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending