The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by RDKGames
Yeah that's right. The cube root of 27 is....

So 3^1 = 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1522
Yep

How's this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First one's correct. Check the second one.
Reply 1524
First one's correct. Check the second one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMackyTv
I have listed quite a lot, you don't have to do all. Hope this helps :smile: (these tips were based on Year 9 exam and what I did to get the grades I wanted):

Be persistent.

Use the Pomodoro Technique (google it if you don't know), it is a really effective way of getting a lot of work done in a short amount of time.

Listen to some Focus music on Spotify or something to help you concentrate!

Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.

If you're struggling, ask the teacher (or friends) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...

Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, highlight important things to remember and keywords.

Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand (well I don't). Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.

I drank lots of caffeine (especially coffee because it is slow-release) during exam season to make me more alert and do stuff... quickly It actually helps most people but I wouldn't recommend drinking any quick-release caffeine or drinking it after noon because it is going to be hard to go to sleep.

On that note, get LOTS of sleep.

Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.

Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic... I am mostly a visual learner. Click here to do a small test to find out what kind of learner you are

BIG tip. Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it (like it did for me ).

Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail.

Thanks sooo much, I'm going to try and aim for my GCSEs this year, I mean, I'm only 13, but pretty smart. I'm going to have to take the intermediate maths challenge this year, but if anyone has done both, could they share with me their score and grade? I wanna know what to expect from my GCSEs depending on my intermediate result. :smile:

Correct. Try this one.

asdsadasd.PNG
Reply 1529
Correct. Try this one.

asdsadasd.PNG

Do I work it out the same way as did before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Do I work it out the same way as did before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you certainly use the same technique, but the cosine rule is only valid for triangles. So you need to split that shape into two triangles which can help you work out the length of the remaining side.
Reply 1531
Well you certainly use the same technique, but the cosine rule is only valid for triangles. So you need to split that shape into two triangles which can help you work out the length of the remaining side.

Ergh I tried

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have the right idea, but the process is switched up.

You cannot apply pythagoras on the first one with 9 and 7 because it's not a right-angle triangle.
Reply 1533
You have the right idea, but the process is switched up.

You cannot apply pythagoras on the first one with 9 and 7 because it's not a right-angle triangle.

So I use the cosine rule?

And then use Pythagorean on the second triangle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
So I use the cosine rule?

And then use Pythagorean on the second triangle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep.
Reply 1535
Yep.

Now I add all the sides up in order to find the perimeter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Now I add all the sides up in order to find the perimeter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. See how useful the cosine rule is? :smile:
Reply 1537
Yep. See how useful the cosine rule is? :smile:

Wow. That wasn't a bad question it was alright :biggrin:

Final answer is 29.9 cm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Wow. That wasn't a bad question it was alright :biggrin:

Final answer is 29.9 cm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. :smile:

lknc lknxc.PNG
Reply 1539
Yep. :smile:

lknc lknxc.PNG

Wait. I can't use trigonometry here to find the angle as it isn't a right angled triangle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest