The Student Room Group

Should I tell my mom about my 15 year old sisters drinking?

I caught my 15 year old younger sister several times since april these last 5 months drinking and getting drink with other girls at home, I have no idea where she is getting all these bottles of it from because she is under age, I have kept it from our mother, do you think I should continue to keep it from her or do you think I should tell her, because it is really stupid and dangerous because one day she might ill?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If it is casual then just have a word with your sister and make sure she stays save. If heavy and frequent, then absolutely yes
Normally I'm all for living and being a free spirit.

Like if you want to shoot up black tar heroin, go for it, I live for your living.

...but drinking at 15 is excessive. Talk to your sister, be a good older sibling and give her the advice she needs.
Telling your mum is the most responsible thing to do, things like Drinking and Smoking can get addictive very quickly even if the participant thinks they won't get hooked on it. She might also be hanging out with the wrong crowd, so make sure you talk to her and be supportive.
Don't tell if it's just something your sister does the odd weekend to be social with her mates (and you trust them not to do anything stupid). Consider*telling your parents about it if she is mixing with a bad crowd, or you're worried about the amount she drinks, but speak to her first.
Reply 5
Original post by homeland.lsw

...but drinking at 15 is excessive.

I did it at 15, as did most people I know. Doesnt seem particularly excessive unless the amount is excessive.
You should tell your mother straightaway and inform your sister that you are going to do so. I would want to know if it were one of my children and would be furious if a sibling knew and kept it from me.
Your sister could get herself into trouble and then how would you feel?
Original post by Reue
I did it at 15, as did most people I know. Doesnt seem particularly excessive unless the amount is excessive.

Well I guess define drinking- you weren't passed out drunk every night were you?

When I read drinking, I think of proper alcoholic person drinking- shots, spirits, a few pints a night...I'm sure most people have drunk at 15 :ninja:
Reply 8
Well I guess define drinking- you weren't passed out drunk every night were you?

and nowhere does it say the OP's sister is either.

When I read drinking, I think of proper alcoholic person drinking- shots, spirits, a few pints a night...I'm sure most people have drunk at 15 :ninja:

Exactly. So not excessive.
Original post by Reue
and nowhere does it say the OP's sister is either.
Exactly. So not excessive.

Fair point, edited my OP :smile:
Reply 10
threaten to tell your mother if she doesn't stop
if she continues to drink then tell your mum
Is the op American? He/she uses "mom"?
I would tell your mum excessive or not.
Reply 13
Original post by DarkMagic
Don't tell if it's just something your sister does the odd weekend to be social with her mates (and you trust them not to do anything stupid). Consider*telling your parents about it if she is mixing with a bad crowd, or you're worried about the amount she drinks, but speak to her first.

I agree with this. Loads of people drink socially at that age, and an over-reaction risks just pushing her away. It's important to make sure she is able to confide if there are any problems
I don't think it is your place to say anything. It is normal to experiment with drink at 15 and you will only push your sister away by grassing.

As others have said, it doesn't sound excessive. If it was excessive your parents would have noticed anyway.

I wouldn't say anything even if it was excessive. You are not her parent. Stay out of it.
(edited 7 years ago)
What is happening to kids these days. If I walked in and saw my sister partaking in some underage drinking, my reaction would be "Ahahahahaaaaaa, busted - I'm telling mum!!!"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sternumator
I don't think it is your place to say anything. It is normal to experiment with drink at 15 and you will only push your sister away by grassing.As others have said, it doesn't sound excessive. If it was excessive your parents would have noticed anyway.I wouldn't say anything even if it was excessive. You are not her parent. Stay out of it.

Whether it's excessive or not, she is underage and it's illegal. Yes, small experimentation is nothing to cry about but that obviously isn't the case.

She's her sister, so she can get involved if she wishes, it's just not advised.

Also, just because drinking is excessive doesn't mean parents notice it. I know people that literally pass out twice a week from strong vodka and can drink 9 cups of wine at Christmas but it doesn't mean their parents know.
go to ur sister first before talking to ur mum, and tbh, drinking at 15 is not unusual and they don't usually end up going completely over the top with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudyJosh
Whether it's excessive or not, she is underage and it's illegal. Yes, small experimentation is nothing to cry about but that obviously isn't the case.

She's her sister, so she can get involved if she wishes, it's just not advised.

Also, just because drinking is excessive doesn't mean parents notice it. I know people that literally pass out twice a week from strong vodka and can drink 9 cups of wine at Christmas but it doesn't mean their parents know.

It's difficult for me to understand because if I told my parents that my sister was drinking at 15, they wouldn't care at all.

I think if you want to get involved, talk to the sister but I don't think it even warrants that. Telling tales is never a good approach. You make enemies and you gain nothing.

And if you are getting pissed twice a week, your parents will notice assuming you live with them. When you get home drunk, they will notice. When you are hung over and stink of booze the following day, they will notice. Even if you stay over elsewhere, it is going to be pretty obvious what you are up to.
na bro don't snitch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending