The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bubblegumcat
so I take it that u agree with what the airline said?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently blatant racism and offending half of the world is considered okay as long as it's interpreted as anti-PC "honesty". :rolleyes:
why was my comment removed about most paedophiles and rapists being white but people saying blacks are more likely to cause crime is accepted on this thread and spread lol

Thus the Chinese should be worry at all parts of London, I love tsr
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Apparently blatant racism and offending half of the world is considered okay as long as it's interpreted as anti-PC "honesty". :rolleyes:

god, I question why I still go on tsr

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
so I take it that u agree with what the airline said?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Dima-Blackburn

See post #270

Areas of London with large minority populations tend to have higher crime rates and are generally less tourist-friendly. The same can be said for a lot of Western cities.

While the airline could have worded their recommendations in a more politically correct manner, they weren't strictly saying "avoid black and brown people," but the areas where a lot of them reside (due to the high crime rates, etc.). While rather blunt and insensitive, I admit, it serves as an understandable approximation for Chinese tourists unfamiliar with London's geography and neighbourhoods.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Offending that half of the world is probably not going to have any significant effects :wink:

Whereas, offending China would have potentially serious repercussions

Thought they banned you
Original post by Mathemagicien
Offending that half of the world is probably not going to have any significant effects :wink:

Whereas, offending China would have potentially serious repercussions

Giving that the UK is preparing for trade deals with India post-brexit, I wouldn't be so sure about that :wink:

The Chinese airline magazine has apologised however, which I'm sure you'll condemn as cowardly appeasement. I had totally forgotten that decency is considered too "PC" these days.
Interesting.
Original post by Dandaman1

While the airline could have worded their recommendations in a more politically correct manner, they weren't strictly saying "avoid black and brown people," but the areas where a lot of them reside (due to the high crime rates, etc.). While rather blunt and insensitive, I admit, it serves as an understandable approximation for Chinese tourists unfamiliar with London's geography and neighbourhoods.

Yes, they were.

No, it doesn't.
So white neighbourhoods are safer? The problem with the advice is that it deems dark skinned people to be more dangerous which isn't the case. There are other factors.
Original post by Dandaman1
See post #270

Areas of London with large minority populations tend to have higher crime rates and are generally less tourist-friendly. The same can be said for a lot of Western cities.

i understand they were trying to warn the Chinese tourists about dangerous areas but yes they definitely should have worded it better, because it's seems like they're suggesting that Indian, Pakistani and black people are dangerous to be around which is a big generalisation to make

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niceguy95
why was my comment removed about most paedophiles and rapists being white but people saying blacks are more likely to cause crime is accepted on this thread and spread lol

Thus the Chinese should be worry at all parts of London, I love tsr

Because blacks ARE more likely to cause crime, you are against facts.
Original post by pinkisthefloyd

And as an Indian, I really wouldn't blame a publication if it said "Avoid this Indian area". And I say this with the utmost love for my country. But the fact is that the more established Indians in foreign countries acclimatize into the society. They live everywhere. The Indian areas have Indians from a specific part of India, who are your average immigrants living in developed countries. I wish I could say otherwise, but I've been in uni for 2 months. I've experienced more hostile (and mildly racist) behaviour from Indians here than I've actually experienced from the "white people".

Are you talking about Indian Punjabis/Sikhs?
Everyone is absolutely aware in their heart of hearts that areas with more minorities are more crime ridden.

Why are people pretending to disagree?
Reply 293
Original post by alevelstresss
why would I waste typing words to you when you're evidently unconditionally going to deny plain-faced racism?

Oh, I thought you might have agreed with me perhaps, but I see you and I are not on the same terms. I have said nothing racist. It's clear that you're just as bad. Labels me as racist and offers no evidence to suggest why, just as the person before. You don't know what racism is.

Respect swings both ways. Having respect for your country and other countries is about equality, not superiority, it just stops you from being a spineless doormat.

I'd rather have people like you call me racist on no grounds at all, than go about every day acting like a bigoted fool.
Reply 294
Original post by zainyyyyy
Apparently white = British and black = non British

Well, that is how the majority of world including the better part of Europe see this. We are avare that not all whites in UK are not british but instead tend to ignore and assume they are. By blacks that is not possible.

This summer I almost laughed and hardly control myself when some black dude from London introduced himself and said he was Englishman.
Reply 295
Original post by WBZ144
Ah yes, good old China where putting a Black man into a washing machine and having him come out a light-skinned Asian is an acceptable advert for detergent.

At least say it was an reply to the same italian commercial but with switched roles. A white Italian woman put a white guy in a washing machine and came out as a black. But that is not racist. Amirite?
Original post by Zürich
Everyone is absolutely aware in their heart of hearts that areas with more minorities are more crime ridden.

Why are people pretending to disagree?

As the truth goes against their narrative, that all people are the exact same.
Original post by slaven
Well, that is how the majority of world including the better part of Europe see this. We are avare that not all whites in UK are not british but instead tend to ignore and assume they are. By blacks that is not possible.

This summer I almost laughed and hardly control myself when some black dude from London introduced himself and said he was Englishman.

This kind of attitude is just stupid. If someone is born and grows up in the UK, they are British. Britishness has nothing to do with race. Yes, someone with parents or grandparents from Jamaica or Pakistan or Bangladesh is going to know something about the culture of their ancestral country, but they go to a British school, have British friends, speak English as their mother tongue, and so experience exactly the same upbringing as British children do (bearing in mind even 'white' Britain is a very diverse cultural group, so this varies from very liberal to extremely conservative Christian) minus the parenting, and parents can only contribute so much to a child's cultural identity.

It varies, but some people of Pakistani origin for example in the UK know next to nothing about Pakistani culture, can't speak the language and have never been to Pakistan. The same is true of many Afro-Caribbean Brits: they wouldn't last ten minutes in Jamaica. So what else can you call them, if not British? A Jamaican would laugh in their face if they said they were Jamaican, but most Brits would have no hesitation identifying them as British. So what gives you, a foreigner, the right to tell British people our own culture? Britain is not comparable to some backward Eastern or Southern European country, it is more comparable to America. Would you laugh at Barack Obama calling himself an American?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by slaven
At least say it was an reply to the same italian commercial but with switched roles. A white Italian woman put a white guy in a washing machine and came out as a black. But that is not racist. Amirite?

Who said it wasn't racist?
Do you have a link to the ad?
How do you know that it was a response?
Original post by Copperknickers
This kind of attitude is just stupid. If someone is born and grows up in the UK, they are British. Britishness has nothing to do with race. Yes, someone with parents or grandparents from Jamaica or Pakistan or Bangladesh is going to know something about the culture of their ancestral country, but they go to a British school, have British friends, speak English as their mother tongue, and so experience exactly the same upbringing as British children do (bearing in mind even 'white' Britain is a very diverse cultural group, so this varies from very liberal to extremely conservative Christian) minus the parenting, and parents can only contribute so much to a child's cultural identity.

It varies, but some people of Pakistani origin for example in the UK know next to nothing about Pakistani culture, can't speak the language and have never been to Pakistan. The same is true of many Afro-Caribbean Brits: they wouldn't last ten minutes in Jamaica. So what else can you call them, if not British? A Jamaican would laugh in their face if they said they were Jamaican, but most Brits would have no hesitation identifying them as British. So what gives you, a foreigner, the right to tell British people our own culture? Britain is not comparable to some backward Eastern or Southern European country, it is more comparable to America. Would you laugh at Barack Obama calling himself an American?

The bold section: That is not true at all, a child's up bringing is heavily / mainly influenced by the parents, if the parents are foreign, the children are not going to receive the same upbringing as an average native.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending