The Student Room Group

Sofia Medical University Bulgaria.

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys!

In the application, the documents that they needed signing from a solicitor, how did you find one and how much did they charge? Just out of curiosity so I know if I'm getting ripped off lol
Original post by Bobjenson
Hey, good luck with all the application stuff, there's sometimes a lot of bureaucracy to get through but once it's all sorted it is worth it! :smile:

I'm just headed into second year now and I've found living out there pretty great, I didn't go with much in the way of expectations but the city is pretty lovely, especially in the center! Accommodation doesn't have to be far, most live within a 30 min walk of the uni/center. People generally share with one other in private accommodation costing anywhere from 250 euros to 400 euros per month (rent is always worked out in euros, not lev, the lev is tied to the euro so the exchange rate is always 1 euro = 1.95 lev).

If you're willing to spend a little more there are a number of guys who live right in the central boulevard, but given taxi's + public transport are cheap (especially taxi's), it generally works out better to live a little further out and use taxi's/public transport where needed!

My recommendation for first year would be to tell the estate agent (who I'm sure your agency will set you up with) that you want to be close to the uni and try to get a short term let, that way if you don't like it you can move about without too much difficulty

Thanks so much for such a great response! Was so helpful

Is there any names of places you can give on the area that you would recommend ? I'm flying out on 22nd with my mum just to check out the area and uni!

I've applied through SME in the end. Seemed more legit and popular!

Do you know any idea of when they'll ask us to move there? They said end of September/ start of October but still awaiting relocation dates! Just want a rough idea!

Also, what's the exams like out there? Are they mostly written? Any practicals?
Original post by Bobjenson
Hey guys,

I'm a second year Sofia MU student having come to Sofia via SME last year.

Overall, if you come in with an open mind and understand that some things are done differently you can have a great time! The city is a blast and there is a wonderful mix of students from all over and the medical content really is the same as what those all over the world do!

If anybody has any specific questions feel free to ask.
B

Hey! I've just gone with SME. I'm flying out on 22nd to look at some flats before I actually move! What are the places like that the estate agents got you?

Do you know any idea of when they'll ask us to move there? They said end of September/ start of October but still awaiting relocation dates! Just want a rough idea!
Original post by Natasha__x
Hey! I've just gone with SME. I'm flying out on 22nd to look at some flats before I actually move! What are the places like that the estate agents got you?

Heya, I'm also about to start second year at Sofia medical University. In Sofia, it is possible to find very modern apartments, however they do tend to go quite quickly, especially if you want to find something within walking distance of the Uni so i would strongly recommend finding something soon as I believe you year will be many more in number than mine. Fear not, there are people who can help you and facebook groups to help you :smile: For me, I was able to find something by myself as the estate agency assigned were too overwhelmed.I also came through SME and they relocated groups from week beginning 28th September last year and got us to do the entrance test that week. The notice was very short (I got my notice a week before I relocated).
Reply 84
Hi. Do you have any links for facebook grouos and estate agents?
Original post by Emziies34
Heya, I'm also about to start second year at Sofia medical University. In Sofia, it is possible to find very modern apartments, however they do tend to go quite quickly, especially if you want to find something within walking distance of the Uni so i would strongly recommend finding something soon as I believe you year will be many more in number than mine. Fear not, there are people who can help you and facebook groups to help you :smile: For me, I was able to find something by myself as the estate agency assigned were too overwhelmed.I also came through SME and they relocated groups from week beginning 28th September last year and got us to do the entrance test that week. The notice was very short (I got my notice a week before I relocated).
Heya I replied but my message is still being reviewed so I'll PM you instead but yeah there are groups 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Muotoh
Hi there I am a Uk first year med student in Sofia MU. If anybody has any questions on how things are here would love to answer them. :smile:

Hi :-)

I am a dental student and am thinking of transferring to Sofia University. Please could you tell me about the teaching standards, how are the exams at the university?

Please could you also tell me more about the city? How safe it is, facilities such as libraries and gyms etc.

Also if you know anyone in the Dental medicine programme who wouldn't mind getting in contact with me as I have a few questions regarding the course
Reply 87
Bulgaria in 2002-2003 is diffrent from Bulgaria now its my second year medicine student english program and never heard about any corruption!
Reply 88
Original post by mariapatel
Hey! I'm thinking of studying medicine at Sofia medical university via InterHECS.
What do you guys think of studying there so far?

Hey,I am a EU student in my second year medicine student in Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski its reputation now a days is much better than sofia medical university. Ranking http://www.4icu.org/Europe/ will sit for test in Chemistry and Biology in English language, the university takes 50 students every year, last year about 150 students applied and only 50 with the best results of the chemisty and biology test was excepted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 89
What are the admission requirements?
Reply 90
https://www.studymedicineeurope.com/sofia-university-st-kliment-ohridski

Candidates have to sit for a basic Biology and Chemistry entry test and submit the below documents:

Application form including brief biographical data, educational history and the courses for which they are applying

Diploma (a copy) of completed secondary education with an academic transcript stating the disciplines studied

Document issued by relevant authorities, certifying the right to continue education in higher schools and universities in the country of origin of the secondary school attended by the applicant

Health certificate issued not earlier than one month prior to application and verified in the county from which the candidate is applying

Two 4/5 cm photographs

The diploma, academic transcript and health certificate must be translated into Bulgarian and legalized according to official state directives.
Reply 91
Original post by Sanj_yar
Dear Natasha,
My daughter is looking to transfer to Sofia from Debrecen for her third year in this September. She does not like it there. Could you please help me in understanding the lifestyle and exam procedure? Do you know any present 2nd year dentistry students I could communicate with your kind help. I do not wish to haste in to this decision but her happiness is important to be able to successfully finish the course. Is there a way to contact you or your parent may be. Sorry, this abrasive but do not know anyone and would definitely would like to listen to a student and their first hand experience before handing any money to any agent. I am not sure how to pm or get in touch and not sure if I could leave my email in this message. If you read this, then please guide me through getting in touch with you. I'd be very grateful. Thanks

I'm in a similar situation, thinking of transferring for the dentistry course too - I'd be really grateful if you could put me into contact with any current dental students at the university and could also answer a few questions I have as I am not enjoying the university I am at either
Reply 92
No much is said about the clinical side of the training in Bulgaria, other than a subtle hint that students will need to develop some language skills. Presumably that means becoming fluent in Bulgarian?. Sounds like a significant extra burden to a student; how does it work out in practice?.

Presumably, there are no opportunities to gain clinical experience in a UK hospital if you attend Bulgarian Med school? .

Im also unclear about the fees and charges involved - not for tuition and living expenses, but Agency charges. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Certain people have said there's corruption going on and stuff? As well as Some people have commented regarding UK they will hardly accept degrees from Bulgaria?
Reply 94
Which university are you at? And are you looking 3rd year transfer to Sofia or 2nd year? And do you wish to transfer from medicine to dentistry?

I'm in the Czech Republic, I'm transferring to 1/2nd year for dentistry
Reply 95
Which Czech university? Masaryk or Palacky? Any insight on them.
By the way, Bulgaria only take transfers up to second year so you could try there- Sofia and Plovdiv are the two that accept transfers up to second year. My daughter has no chance in Bulgaria as we are looking for a third year transfer. Masaryk is our one option left to try so if you are from there by any chance, do give some insight please.
Thanks

For dentistry, I highly advice you stay away from Masaryk university - I can private message if you want more information
The basic chemistry and biology test , what is like ? The test hard or what can you expect ? I'm just scared going these test Bec I don't know if I'll pass or not and I really want to get in. And I am applying this year plz help
Reply 97
Original post by Zilly huma
The basic chemistry and biology test , what is like ? The test hard or what can you expect ? I'm just scared going these test Bec I don't know if I'll pass or not and I really want to get in. And I am applying this year plz help

Hey im applying for this year.. Did you get any info on the entrance exam?
Original post by jamjarz
Hey im applying for this year.. Did you get any info on the entrance exam?

No idea because I am going through an agency maybe call then uni but there not much help tbh and also check their website to
Reply 99
I'm applying to Sofia medical university for medicine . Is there any gc created for the students who are going there if so can someone please add me to one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending