The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

How is 703 as a score?? (please see my last post!)
Original post by Fred5134
Yes, just make sure that the numlock is on. Also, I've heard someone else mention that the calculator will close every time you move to the next question, so alt + c to bring it back up..

cool, thanks again for your help x
I'm an undergraduate applicant and was wondering if anyone knows where my stats might be okay?
GCSE: 4A*, 7A
AS results: AABC (maths, biology, chemistry, music respictively)
A level pred: A*AA for maths, bio and chem (and A* WBQ)
UKCAT: 1990 (663.3 AV) VR:590 QR:740 AR:660 SJT: Band 2

I have done a weeks work experience in a GPs surgery, volunteered for a few months at a care home and have a Saturday job in a pharmacy as a HCA.I've also done a trek to Everest base camp for charity (don't know if that will help at all?)I'm thinking of applying Manchester, St. Georges, Plymouth and I don't know where else, any advice atall would be appreciated☺️
Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫
I sat the UKCAT test today and averaged 550.
VR: 600
QR: 400
AR: 650
Game over for medicine for me i guess 🙍🏻🔫

I got 2 A*s, 4 As and 5 Bs at GCSE
AABB at AS
Predicted AAA for Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

I was hoping to apply for Barts (coz its local to me), UCL (im part of their Widening participation Medicine scheme), Southampton and Manchester.

Guys are these bad choices for uni, as in, do you think I have a chance for interview there? And based on my current qualifications, where would you guys advice I should apply to? I an just LOST!!! All advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Original post by El3398
I'm an undergraduate applicant and was wondering if anyone knows where my stats might be okay?
GCSE: 4A*, 7A
AS results: AABC (maths, biology, chemistry, music respictively)
A level pred: A*AA for maths, bio and chem (and A* WBQ)
UKCAT: 1990 (663.3 AV) VR:590 QR:740 AR:660 SJT: Band 2

I have done a weeks work experience in a GPs surgery, volunteered for a few months at a care home and have a Saturday job in a pharmacy as a HCA.I've also done a trek to Everest base camp for charity (don't know if that will help at all?)I'm thinking of applying Manchester, St. Georges, Plymouth and I don't know where else, any advice atall would be appreciated☺️

You're so lucky!!! I wish I was in your situation!
I would advice, based on your results, you should give Cardiff a shot!!

I wrote my results above. Please help me! 😫😫
Original post by Zarabegum12
Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫

There are many bmat universities, or universities that don't use the ukcat such as liverpool.
Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫

AABB at AS

I was hoping to apply for Barts (coz its local to me), UCL (im part of their Widening participation Medicine scheme), Southampton and Manchester.

Guys are these bad choices for uni, as in, do you think I have a chance for interview there? And based on my current qualifications, where would you guys advice I should apply to? I an just LOST!!! All advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Do the BMAT bro. You are UCL anyway so they use bmat. Apply to the other gmat unis. How did you revise for VR? what was the best method?
Original post by marsbar3007
hello!
PLEASE HELP - a question to those people who have done their exam - what would you guys say is the most representative source for VR (apart from medify)???

Thank youuu!

I used the 1200 question UKCAT which was about the same/slightly easier. I also used the ISC question book which was deffo harder so would recommend :smile:
[QUOTE=Squishy•;67475766]Do the BMAT bro. You are UCL anyway so they use bmat. Apply to the other gmat unis. How did you revise for VR? what was the best method?

For VR and even SJ, the 'UKCAT ninja' website helped. Loads of free practice and it explains where you went wrong.

Guys, i posted my grades above as well as my UKCAT score. Do you think these are good enough for Medicine. Also, I was considering Foundation Medicine.
Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫

AABB at AS

Id probably say avoid Southampton and Manchester because they look quite heavily at the UKCAT, Bristol don't look at it much so possibly there? However because they don't use the UKCAT as much it means that they have a much higher place/applicant ratio
Will they be adjusting the threshold for applicants this year as they are only scoring on three sections?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kittylorelli
Will they be adjusting the threshold for applicants this year as they are only scoring on three sections?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would depend on what the average score is, which is released after the last exam is sat. If the average score is similar to last year's, no, though obviously if they use overall they'll scale the mark because of losing 900. If it is a lot higher or a lot lower, yes, they'll amend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys is UKCAT ninja a fair representation of AR and QR? Thanks
Where can I apply with 660 average in the UKCAT? (VR: 530, QR: 850, AR: 600 SJ: Band 2)
I want to stay in London, so I'll apply to UCL and Imperial as BMAT unis. I'm not sure about the other two... I was thinking of KCL, Barts and St George's, but after this disappointing result I don't think I have a chance.
Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!
Original post by Fred5134
There are many bmat universities, or universities that don't use the ukcat such as liverpool.

Liverpool introduced the UKCAT last year and will continue to use it, but they are more likely to have lower emphasis on it because they're still getting used to how it factors into their selection process.*
Original post by guptkhalsa84
How is 703 as a score?? (please see my last post!)

703 is a great score, just depends where you applying for GEM a high score is required due to the amount of applicants
Omg!!! 😫😫😫😫😫

AABB at AS

I would avoid all those (except UCL). Going from the top of my head, your UKCAT just won't cut it for those Medical Schools sadly.*
Original post by xJessScott
703 is a great score, just depends where you applying for GEM a high score is required due to the amount of applicants

Thanks for replying!! I was thinking Kings but I'm not sure I didnt do to good in ALevels and I only have a chem as level to grade c. Im studying Optometry at the moment. What would you do if you were in my situation? Any advice? Thabks for replying!
Original post by guptkhalsa84
Thanks for replying!! I was thinking Kings but I'm not sure I didnt do to good in ALevels and I only have a chem as level to grade c. Im studying Optometry at the moment. What would you do if you were in my situation? Any advice? Thabks for replying!

newcastle dont look at gcses or a levels if you have a degree, just need a 1st or 2:1 which your ukcat score should be ok for for undergrad GEM is usually higher, warwick dont look at gcses or a levels either but apprently need 700 on VR but not sure if thats true. have a look at this document and itll tell you what you need, if for undergrad course theyll have on their websites what they accept for graduates

im a graduate applying too
Original post by xJessScott
newcastle dont look at gcses or a levels if you have a degree, just need a 1st or 2:1 which your ukcat score should be ok for for undergrad GEM is usually higher, warwick dont look at gcses or a levels either but apprently need 700 on VR but not sure if thats true. have a look at this document and itll tell you what you need, if for undergrad course theyll have on their websites what they accept for graduates

im a graduate applying too

Thanks!! For most undergrad degrees they still take into account your a levels, which is annoying, im still kicking myself about them and dropping chemistry!! Also do you think 703 will be in the top 25%, when I went to kings open day they said cutoff is usually 700+ but they didnt confirm. Really wanted to apply to Kings as im working at St Thomas Hospital and they have a partnership!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending