The Student Room Group

18 YEAR OLD MALES - example quotes for cheaply insured cars?

Passed my test today, keep finding endless tips on the internet about how to reduce car insurance but currently no example quotes based on a particular car and insurance company.

With blackbox, does anyone have any examples of particular car insurance cost when insured by an 18 year old?

Thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by james652
Passed my test today, keep finding endless tips on the internet about how to reduce car insurance but currently no example quotes based on a particular car and insurance company.

With blackbox, does anyone have any examples of particular car insurance cost when insured by an 18 year old?

Thanks,

you're looking at 1300 - 3000 per year
What you need to do is find a car in a low insurance group. Either 1,2,3 (It goes upto 50.)

That's going to be the biggest reduction of your costs.
Newer cars seems to give you better quotes. Depending on your income, you can pick up a car on finance with insurance for <£200 a month.
Depends where you live.
Unfortunately 18 year olds have a bad lot at the moment. My first car was a Ford Ka 2002 and it cost me £2500 for the first year. It does appear to be slightly better for newer cars but obviously it also depends on engine size, location, average milleage and so on.

Your best bet in terms of simply lowering cost is to go for a fairly new car (registered within last 5 or 6 years) and adding a black box into the car, which should lower your insurance by a few hundred pounds annually. I'm not a fan of black boxes but they do work for some people. Definitely go for a small engine, like 1.2 L or a 1.4 L.
Also, try using a website like compare the market which can generate costs for any car for pretty much any circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest