The Student Room Group

Do I have to pay tax for a summer job?

So basically I have a temp job cleaning uni halls for the summer. I started on 11th Aug and finish 30th Sept, working every weekday except wednesday (occasionally weekends), earn 7.63 an hour working 7 hours a day so in the average week I would earn £213.64 and throughout the whole job would earn £2312.89 (which includes overtime). I was wondering if I would have to pay tax on this amount since all the examples i find online aren't for temporary jobs and I don't feel comfortable bringing it up with my manager
Original post by pusha a
So basically I have a temp job cleaning uni halls for the summer. I started on 11th Aug and finish 30th Sept, working every weekday except wednesday (occasionally weekends), earn 7.63 an hour working 7 hours a day so in the average week I would earn £213.64 and throughout the whole job would earn £2312.89 (which includes overtime). I was wondering if I would have to pay tax on this amount since all the examples i find online aren't for temporary jobs and I don't feel comfortable bringing it up with my manager

You shouldn't have to, I don't think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pusha a

The default setting for HMRC and most employers is that tax is taken under PAYE (Pay as You Earn, ie taxed monthly, not one socking bill at the end of the year). To stop being taxed by PAYE someone has to take responsibility and inform HMRC why this is not appropriate. In your case, it wouldn't be appropriate because your earnings will be under the tax threshold.

Strictly speaking, you are the only person that can know that - the Uni doesn't know if you have another taxable income, so it will be your responsibility to ring HMRC when you get your first pay and make sure you aren't paying tax. However, as you are a student, working for your University, there is a slight chance they will be on the case already, and not apply PAYE, but it is still your responsibility to check.

If you don't contact HMRC and PAYE is applied and you pay tax, you will either get it paid back when you finally contact HMRC, or they will calculate your tax at the end of the tax year (April) and pay you back the overpayment in a lump sum.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
The default setting for HMRC and most employers is that tax is taken under PAYE (Pay as You Earn, ie taxed monthly, not one socking bill at the end of the year). To stop being taxed by PAYE someone has to take responsibility and inform HMRC why this is not appropriate. In your case, it wouldn't be appropriate because your earnings will be under the tax threshold.

Strictly speaking, you are the only person that can know that - the Uni doesn't know if you have another taxable income, so it will be your responsibility to ring HMRC when you get your first pay and make sure you aren't paying tax. However, as you are a student, working for your University, there is a slight chance they will be on the case already, and not apply PAYE, but it is still your responsibility to check.

If you don't contact HMRC and PAYE is applied and you pay tax, you will either get it paid back when you finally contact HMRC, or they will calculate your tax at the end of the tax year (April) and pay you back the overpayment in a lump sum.

Would it be okay if I phoned up HMRC before my first paycheck and explained to them my situation? Would that make it so I wouldnt get taxed on my first pay day before its happened?
Oh and I'm not a student at that university, currently im on my gap year before uni but Im doing some a level exams in this time too (not at an institution) *not sure if this changes anything*
Original post by pusha a
Would it be okay if I phoned up HMRC before my first paycheck and explained to them my situation? Would that make it so I wouldnt get taxed on my first pay day before its happened?
Oh and I'm not a student at that university, currently im on my gap year before uni but Im doing some a level exams in this time too (not at an institution) *not sure if this changes anything*

Won't help I don't think, HMRC won't have any data on you until the employer registers you, which will be when they do the first pay run.

Doesn't change anything expect the employer is more or less bound to let the default happen and put you on PAYE.

You can try and speak to the payroll department, and get it sorted before they let PAYE happen, but chances are you will have to contact HMRC after your first pay packet is taxed and get it changed then.
Reply 5
Won't help I don't think, HMRC won't have any data on you until the employer registers you, which will be when they do the first pay run.

Doesn't change anything expect the employer is more or less bound to let the default happen and put you on PAYE.

You can try and speak to the payroll department, and get it sorted before they let PAYE happen, but chances are you will have to contact HMRC after your first pay packet is taxed and get it changed then.

Oh okay i understand. So is there anything specific that would happen which determines whether I would get refunded the tax immediately or next April, or is it random?
Original post by pusha a
Oh okay i understand. So is there anything specific that would happen which determines whether I would get refunded the tax immediately or next April, or is it random?

When you tell them! If you tell them in August, depending on the actual date compared with when your company does their pay run (companies usually finalise the end of the month pay details by about 16th of the month), they will repay you at the next available month. However, if you don't tell them until Feb or March, they will likely wait until they would have done the end of year check in April, and you'll get the cheque in May or June.
Reply 7
When you tell them! If you tell them in August, depending on the actual date compared with when your company does their pay run (companies usually finalise the end of the month pay details by about 16th of the month), they will repay you at the next available month. However, if you don't tell them until Feb or March, they will likely wait until they would have done the end of year check in April, and you'll get the cheque in May or June.

Ah Ill be sure to contact them on payday then, thanks a lot for you help!
Original post by pusha a

Id do this. So at least then they shouldnt tax you in the first place.
Original post by pusha a

When you get a temp job you will usually be put on an emergency tax code which will result in you getting tax however you will get all of this money back provided you have not earned over the tax free earnings threshold and £2312.89 is well under that amount. You will still pay some NI though as far as I am aware but no income tax after your rebate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending