The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ValerieKR
You're a celebrity!
I haven't (other than the front of the school website) but I wouldn't worry too much about it, do you remember the 3rd page of 3 weeks ago?

Haha :smile: Well I don't mind it being in the paper per se, but I'm uneasy about if it makes the online version, because then it will be stuck there for a while :/

Original post by Serine Soul
I've been nominated for an award in this thing my town does to celebrate high achievers. The person on the phone seemed almost in tears because someone from my background is going to Cambridge aha

Nice one, I can understand :tongue:
Reply 1241
Original post by highestmountain
Has anybody else been asked to do things for the local press? I've just done something and will be told where my picture's going but I'm kinda feeling uneasy about it :/

I know someone who got an offer for maths and a 2 page spread about him was in the local paper, saying how great it was going to be to study at Cambrdige.

He then absolutely bombed STEP and missed his offer by a mile.

So no matter what's written about you, it won't be that bad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Haha :smile: Well I don't mind it being in the paper per se, but I'm uneasy about if it makes the online version, because then it will be stuck there for a while :/

Nice one, I can understand :tongue:

Articles about my daughter on local papers are still stuck on their digital version, one is since 7 yrs ago and the other since 5 yrs ago......)

These days, most local papers upload their articles to the digital edition, but some delete them after a while, some just leave them there forever......
But either way, people will forget it soon, and even if someone find it alter years later, it's a good news, so I don't think you need to worry too much. :wink:

One little annoying thing was the paper who reported about her GCSE award added their version of her 'comment.'
The first and very valuable lesson on how a media spins a story.......
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alow
I know someone who got an offer for maths and a 2 page spread about him was in the local paper, saying how great it was going to be to study at Cambrdige.

This is glorious. :lol:
Original post by vincrows
Articles about my daughter on local papers are still stuck on their digital version, one about her top GCSE award with the board (7 yrs ago...) and the other with her fellow students of her school when they got offers from Oxbridge (5 yrs ago......)

These days, most local,papers upload their articles to the digital edition, but some delete them after a while, some just leave them there forever......
But either way, people will forget it soon, and even if someone find it alter years later, it's a good news, so I don't think you need to worry too much. :wink:

One little annoying thing was the paper who reported about her GCSE award added their version of her 'comment.' They only talked with the school and didn't interview her directly, and the school was adamant they didn't made up the comment.
The first and very valuable lesson on how a media spins a story.......

I'll think about asking if they can opt out of putting it online, after all there are many small articles that don't make the online version because they are very brief

Original post by alow

Oh wow, that's a calamity!
I'll think about asking if they can opt out of putting it online, after all there are many small articles that don't make the online version because they are very brief

Oh wow, that's a calamity!

Good idea. :smile:
And ask (read : tell) them not to make up a story. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

“Don’t attempt to keep every brand of wine under the sun. Most Undergrads cannot distinguish ‘Bordeaux’ from ‘Burgundy’ if served in a decanter.”

Handy hint for today's undergraduates-to-be...A good Bordeaux should have a faint smell of pencil lead and a good Burgundy a faint smell of farmyard.

Us oldies are so full of useful information! :shakecane:
Reply 1247
Original post by jneill
A very useful Cambridge Fresher's Guide - from Victorian times. :smile:

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/exhilaration-and-anxiety-dos-and-don’ts-fresher-life-–-victorian-style

For example, these tips still seem relevent today:

"Don’t, if you are in lodgings, get too familiar with your landlady’s daughter, as she is probably more clever than you”
and
“Don’t attempt to keep every brand of wine under the sun. Most Undergrads cannot distinguish ‘Bordeaux’ from ‘Burgundy’ if served in a decanter.”

To be fair if I was blindfolded I doubt I could tell red from white.
Original post by Gregorius
Handy hint for today's undergraduates-to-be...A good Bordeaux should have a faint smell of pencil lead and a good Burgundy a faint smell of farmyard.

but it's the same colour, hence the same wine
Original post by alow
To be fair if I was blindfolded I doubt I could tell red from white.

You'll know. You get drunk quicker with red than white.
Original post by Gregorius

Very true :smile:

And sauvingon blanc is grassy cat's piss. (Which is why I can't stand the stuff...)
Original post by gasfxekl
but it's the same colour, hence the same wine

http://cubwts.soc.srcf.net/wordpress/

'twas a joke
i actually want to join that society ...
Original post by gasfxekl
'twas a joke
i actually want to join that society ...

Excellent :smile:
Original post by jneill
Excellent :smile:

Don't suppose you have a handy link to the Mauritian/Telephone Booth Society?

:wink:
Original post by Zacken
Don't suppose you have a handy link to the Mauritian/Telephone Booth Society?

:wink:

of course
http://www.cmsociety.org.uk

Although they haven't updated their premises yet :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

lol brilliant, I'll keep an eye out for that haha
Original post by jneill
of course
http://www.cmsociety.org.uk

Although they haven't updated their premises yet :smile:

Spoiler

Brilliant. :lol:
Has anyone going to Trinity heard from their college parents yet? I'm not on Facebook so I don't know if they should email me or if they just won't contact me
Original post by RyanW97
Has anyone going to Trinity heard from their college parents yet? I'm not on Facebook so I don't know if they should email me or if they just won't contact me

From trinity, am on Facebook - heard nothing yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending