The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RyanW97
Has anyone going to Trinity heard from their college parents yet? I'm not on Facebook so I don't know if they should email me or if they just won't contact me

Usually they contact you by email before freshers week starts, just to introduce themselves, or or they're a kind type, they'll be happy to answer your question if you have.

It's advisable to join your college's fresher FB group, as long as it's an official one that's opened by jcr. Your year group use the freshers FB group to contact each other and with jcr until you graduate. It's not just when you're a fresher.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ValerieKR
From trinity, am on Facebook - heard nothing yet

Great, thanks! By the way, what will you be studying?

Edit: I think I've already asked that before, sorry 😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Usually they contact you by email before freshers week starts, just to introduce themselves, or or they're a kind type, they'll be happy to answer your question if you have.

It's advisable to join your college's fresher FB group, as long as it's an official one that's opened by jcr. Your year group use the freshers FB group to contact each other and with jcr until you graduate. It's not just when you're a fresher.

I guess I should probably set up Facebook then, thank you!
Original post by RyanW97
Great, thanks! By the way, what will you be studying?

Edit: I think I've already asked that before, sorry 😂

the only true subject - mathematics!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by ValerieKR
the only true subject - mathematics!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hmmm... Or you could spend your time at university training to be an engineer so that you can actually do something useful, rather than proving 1+1=2 :wink:

Spoiler

Original post by 124375
What colour suit is acceptable for matriculation? My college just says 'dark suit'. Is grey/charcoal OK or too light? I read somewhere that some colleges want navy/black.
Thanks

Dark grey should be fine, as long as it's very dark, but ask jcr (use your college's freshers FB group) to be sure.
Anyone able to link trinity fb page?
In terms of food, do people eat all of their meals in hall or is there any alternatives? (can't cook in accommodation)
Original post by KingRS
In terms of food, do people eat all of their meals in hall or is there any alternatives? (can't cook in accommodation)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1445588468804547/

Well you could eat in a pub or cafe?
Original post by vincrows
For the maths thing?
I'm sure it will come well before that.
Is there any particular things you want to know asap.....like now?
Have you seen this? Is it possible this is replacing a physical info pack??
http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/imce/admissions/docs/UG_WelcomeBooklet2016.pdf

And this?
http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ugradregmail.html

Perhaps homerton's porters decided the post office is too far to bother ......:tongue:

Edit:
Have JCR opened Homerton 2016 Freshers FB page?
Members of JCR freshers team should be manning it, so you can ask them anything you need there, if you need to know something soon.

Edit 2 : read through the links above.
Seems like homerton really might've gone digital.............
Ask on JCR freshers page if they really have.

Yeh they have got a fb page.
So tired rn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingRS

Every little helps mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingRS

They have a buttery (lunch & dinner) and a bar (lunch).

Hasn't trinity's JCR (student union) sent you the link to their official freshers FB group?? It's a closed group, so you have to be added to the group by JCR person.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RyanW97
I guess I should probably set up Facebook then, thank you!

You're welcome. :smile:

Yes definitely.
It's not just your college's JCR, but a club/society you'll probably join (and you SHOULD, at least one, to keep your sanity! :tongue:) is likely to use their FB page for communication between the members, so it's quite important to have a FB account.

Just make sure you set the private setting right when setting up an account if you want to keep yourself as private as possible.
I finally got my accommodation offer from Caius!! I'm in the Stephen Hawking building and my room is described as a 'superior double en-suite' which sounds pretty good! :lol:
Original post by niamhscarlett
I finally got my accommodation offer from Caius!! I'm in the Stephen Hawking building and my room is described as a 'superior double en-suite' which sounds pretty good! :lol:

Hey!! I'm in SHB too! Though I chose Band B and got "superior single en-suite" :h: Needless to say, my parents are shocked at the rent but it's still not as bad as all my friends in London :tongue:
Reply 1274
Original post by Mathemagicien
It sounds good, until they tell you the rent...

Yeah. That room sounds expensive.
Original post by Mathemagicien
It sounds good, until they tell you the rent...

Surprisingly it's on the lower end of Band B. :0
Original post by kn_dragon
Hey!! I'm in SHB too! Though I chose Band B and got "superior single en-suite" :h: Needless to say, my parents are shocked at the rent but it's still not as bad as all my friends in London :tongue:

Yeah I got Band B too! I don't think the double means anything, I still get a single bed :smile: I'm on floor 2 I think.
Yeah I got Band B too! I don't think the double means anything, I still get a single bed :smile: I'm on floor 2 I think.

Oh wow same! XD second floor too! i'll definitely be seeing you on the first day then :biggrin:
Oh wow same! XD second floor too! i'll definitely be seeing you on the first day then :biggrin:

Yeah :biggrin: It's good to know we won't be going without knowing anyone first!! :smile:

Yeah :biggrin: It's good to know we won't be going without knowing anyone first!! :smile:

Second floor SHB as well!

I'm not sure what the layout inside is like, but the third floor looks really cool - they've got a balconies running all along each edge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending