The Student Room Group

I'm confused what loan I can use for food/leisure/books?

So I get a loan for the tuition and then a maintenance loan. But doesn't the mainatance loan only cover accommodation? How come people manage to use their loan for food/leisure/books etc?
Your maintenance loan is intended for everyday costs you have as a student, which includes things like food and books.

Some people manage to afford books and food by things like having a part time job, help from parents or their interest free overdraft from their student bank account.
Reply 2
You can spend your Maintenance Loan on anything you want. Nobody monitors what happens to the money once it arrives in your bank account. At that point it's your responsibility to manage it.

For most people it covers the cost of accommodation and leaves a bit over for food etc. Those on the minimum loan will find that it doesn't even cover accommodation - they need to top up with their own savings, help from parents, a student bank account overdraft or by getting a part-time job while they study. The lucky few find that the loan comfortably covers their accommodation and leaves plenty over for other expenses.
Original post by surplus98
So I get a loan for the tuition and then a maintenance loan. But doesn't the mainatance loan only cover accommodation? How come people manage to use their loan for food/leisure/books etc?

Remember there is not one set accomodation cost or maintainance loan amount granted. Accomodation costs vary completely both within towns/cities and across the country and also depending on the type of accomodation chosen, from around £2,500 to around £8000. And then the amount of maintainance loan given is dependant on household income and also if your studying in London you get a bit extra, varying from £3,800-£10000. So some people have ample money left over after they have paid for accomodation and others don't.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
You can spend your Maintenance Loan on anything you want. Nobody monitors what happens to the money once it arrives in your bank account. At that point it's your responsibility to manage it.

For most people it covers the cost of accommodation and leaves a bit over for food etc. Those on the minimum loan will find that it doesn't even cover accommodation - they need to top up with their own savings, help from parents, a student bank account overdraft or by getting a part-time job while they study. The lucky few find that the loan comfortably covers their accommodation and leaves plenty over for other expenses.

Apart from Her Majesty's Government. :ninja:

Quick Reply