The Student Room Group

Anyone turned down an offer from Oxbridge? Why?

Scroll to see replies

I left the country instead of Cambridge. When will people realize "ranking" and "prestige" isn't everything?
Original post by yudothis
I left the country instead of Cambridge. When will people realize "ranking" and "prestige" isn't everything?

What did you do instead?
Original post by trythis
Don't know what I'll do then. I suppose I'm banking on Cambridge rejecting me.

I'm only eligible for tuition fee loans, not maintenance support.

Every UK student is eligible for a maintenance loan of £3,821. If your household income is less than £62,180 you can get extra on top of the basic loan.
Original post by sindyscape62
Every UK student is eligible for a maintenance loan of £3,821. If your household income is less than £62,180 you can get extra on top of the basic loan.

Unless they're not a UK student.*

I'm an EU student with no permanent UK residence, so I'm not eligible for that.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not many do that. :nah: If they do, it's usually because of some crushing family issue or similar, or because they've got into Harvard or something.

My third "tutorial partner" did that - got the results but phoned up on results day, saying he wanted to be released so that he could go to his insurance uni, which was Manchester, to do the joint degree with the Royal Northern College of Music. To say that my tutor was absolutely fuming about it would be an understatement!!! :headfire:

Worked out well for me though - I'm sure that was a minor factor in me getting my place (if they hadn't let me in, they would have only had half the no. of students they were meant to!), plus I don't think I could have handled having three male tutorial partners. Two was quite enough for me :tongue:
I know a fair few people who have turned down Oxbridge (specifically Cambridge) for Harvard and Stanford
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My third "tutorial partner" did that - got the results but phoned up on results day, saying he wanted to be released so that he could go to his insurance uni, which was Manchester, to do the joint degree with the Royal Northern College of Music. To say that my tutor was absolutely fuming about it would be an understatement!!! :headfire:

Worked out well for me though - I'm sure that was a minor factor in me getting my place (if they hadn't let me in, they would have only had half the no. of students they were meant to!), plus I don't think I could have handled having three male tutorial partners. Two was quite enough for me :tongue:

One drops out... another one gets in. :yep: Evidently the allure of the RNCM was too great! Isn't that the one where that teacher got jailed for ever for sexual abuse?

Who's gonna survive on 3.8k lol
Original post by Fullofsurprises
One drops out... another one gets in. :yep: Evidently the allure of the RNCM was too great! Isn't that the one where that teacher got jailed for ever for sexual abuse?

Tbh, I dunno what he was thinking. Not that Oxford is the be-all-and-end-all - far from it! - but the course he went for is an academic music degree at Manchester Uni PLUS a performance degree at the RNCM. So you basically do and get 2 degrees in four years. It would have been a lot less work at Oxford :tongue:

It may well be - I thought it was one of the music schools like Chetham's or Purcell or Yehudi Menuhin. But you may be right actually - could have been a music college. I have a memory like Dory tbh :colondollar:
Original post by such_a_lady
What did you do instead?

Went to study in another country. And stayed there.
Original post by yudothis
Went to study in another country. And stayed there.

I did get that from your original post: I was just wondering where that was and what you studied. Never mind :smile: thank you for your time!
Original post by such_a_lady
I did get that from your original post: I was just wondering where that was and what you studied. Never mind :smile: thank you for your time!

Oh right, Switzerland, Quantitative Economics and Finance.
I withdrew my application as I liked St Andrews better and I had an unconditional. More importantly the only way I'd get the A I needed for a likely AAA offer would to take Chemsitry and life is too short to do a subject you hate just because you're good at it.
Original post by BabyLadDarren
I never turned up to my Oxford interview if that counts.

How come?

Quick Reply

Latest