The Student Room Group

Council tax question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's generally more the case that a non-student will agree to live with students in the understanding that they share all bills equally. They don't have to pay anything and they can't be held legally liable, but the non - students would just look for other people in the same boat to share with otherwise- so it may make sense to pay a share anyway.

That's why some flats specify professionals/no students. Just makes it easier.

If you're already sharing and your status changes then it may be a different matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RhiAG
It's generally more the case that a non-student will agree to live with students in the understanding that they share all bills equally. They don't have to pay anything and they can't be held legally liable, but the non - students would just look for other people in the same boat to share with otherwise- so it may make sense to pay a share anyway.

That's why some flats specify professionals/no students. Just makes it easier.

If you're already sharing and your status changes then it may be a different matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand your point as what migt happen in reality, but dont forget the p/t students have a different financial status by being part time. they could be working or they could be getting additional benefits. The exemption belongs to the OP. I cnat see my friends asking me to pay were I in that position. I might consider it, but then you would be paying for soemthing you arent liable for.
This is why mixed tenancy shares of students and non-students are fraught with problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending