The Student Room Group

I am struggling at A level

I have just started and some lessons seem hard anf some I can manage. I have got lots of homework it's not.that I don't want to do but I don't understand. It feels weird as Iwas a top student at a level . In my English literature I had not an clue not exaggerating. I saw people writing so much to questions and I only answered one with three lines. I feel embarrassed and scared I will fail. In my other lessons I find it hard but manage to get by. However I don't think u am at the grade I want which is an A. Really worried
Original post by England113
I have just started and some lessons seem hard anf some I can manage. I have got lots of homework it's not.that I don't want to do but I don't understand. It feels weird as Iwas a top student at a level . In my English literature I had not an clue not exaggerating. I saw people writing so much to questions and I only answered one with three lines. I feel embarrassed and scared I will fail. In my other lessons I find it hard but manage to get by. However I don't think u am at the grade I want which is an A. Really worried

It's easy to feel overwhelmed, particularly in the first few days AND particularly for English lit A-level. I honestly think it's one the most, if not the most challenging A-level. It's difficult to know/figure out how to get those top marks and, whilst I know nothing about that, teachers and students are probably the best people to speak to about that.

If you're ever stuck with a task, spend some time trying to figure out first what it is actually asking you (if you post what it's about maybe someone can point you in the right direction) - look up any words you don't know, and think about what an answer might look like. Then read hrough what you need to, be it sources online or in books or the literature itself. Have a think about it, and take some notes and make a quick plan before putting doing the actual task.

And I'm not saying give up when it gets tough, but if you're still struggling and finding it really difficult then perhaps it's worth re-evaluating things and perhaps switching courses. I would not recommend studying English lit unless it's something you need for whatever you want to do after.

And in general, sometimes lessons at A-level can be quite stressful and intensive but it helps to take some time at home to go over what you've learnt, google/ask stuff online if it helps or even your teacher, take some time to review information with fresh eyes and eventually it should sink in.

Quick Reply

Latest