The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Life at Nottingham

I'm considering applying to Nottingham for Accounting and Finance for 2017 and really hoping to make it my firm choice if I get an offer! Would it be advisable to apply to two courses at Nottingham - one of them is Accountancy and requires an assessment centre+AAB but you get 3 placements with PwC and maybe a job at the end, and the other is Accounting, Finance and Management which requires AAB. Am I wasting an option here by applying to both at Notts?

Also, just wanted to ask how people find Nottingham in general in terms of social life, teaching, things to do etc! And how is the accommodation?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
In my opinion I would not put Nottm as firm and insurance despite they are different courses (but very similar). As long as you have them as your firm then I doubt there will not be a problem switching if you change your mind - my friend (conditional firm) switched from economics to accounting, finance and management about a month before results day (got in with AAC).

I am starting at the end of this month and could not be more excited. I will be staying in Cripps which is catered accommodation.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I don't think you're wasting a spot applying both for Notts if that's where you wanna go/what you wanna do. Plus if you get the first one and you get to work with PwC that's a huge bonus - I'm applying for their graduate scheme now and it's so stressful!

I just graduated from Nottingham in July and can honestly say I loved it! I'm so sad I'm not going back. It's a beautiful campus, has a really good vibe to it, and there's lots of things to do. The nightlife is great (Ocean on a Friday night is one of the greatest things on earth), there's some amazing restaurants and all the usual cinemas, mini golf, bowling, pubs, etc (and Planet Bounce which I highly recommend) in the city centre. There's a crazy amount of societies and sports clubs at the Uni so it sounds dead cheesy but there is something for everyone.
I did a science degree (Zoology) so can't really comment on the teaching from your course but mine was great, obviously some lecturers are better than others but generally it was fab.
The accommodation is pretty good, I didn't really like Halls but that's mainly because I had a kind of *****y first year (personal issues not the Uni) - I was in Cripps which is definitely one of the best ones, the rooms are really big and that part of the campus is really nice - plus it's super close to the Health Centre so when you inevitably get Fresher's Flu you don't have to drag yourself too far. The food isn't exactly Michelin Star quality but it's not horrific, there's a decent choice, and Cripps Hall where you have dinner does look a bit like the Great Hall from Harry Potter so that's pretty good haha!

Let me know if you have any more questions, I spent 4 years there so I know a fair bit about Notts!
Reply 3
Original post by duncant
In my opinion I would not put Nottm as firm and insurance despite they are different courses (but very similar). As long as you have them as your firm then I doubt there will not be a problem switching if you change your mind - my friend (conditional firm) switched from economics to accounting, finance and management about a month before results day (got in with AAC).

I am starting at the end of this month and could not be more excited. I will be staying in Cripps which is catered accommodation.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I wasnt planning on putting Notts as firm and insurance, but just apply to two similar courses at Notts, one that requires an assessment centre and one that doesn't.

That's really reassuring that they're quite flexible in terms of grades on results day! I guess every case is different though.

Good luck at Notts! What course are you doing, out of interest?
Reply 4
Original post by spandaaa
I don't think you're wasting a spot applying both for Notts if that's where you wanna go/what you wanna do. Plus if you get the first one and you get to work with PwC that's a huge bonus - I'm applying for their graduate scheme now and it's so stressful!

I just graduated from Nottingham in July and can honestly say I loved it! I'm so sad I'm not going back. It's a beautiful campus, has a really good vibe to it, and there's lots of things to do. The nightlife is great (Ocean on a Friday night is one of the greatest things on earth), there's some amazing restaurants and all the usual cinemas, mini golf, bowling, pubs, etc (and Planet Bounce which I highly recommend) in the city centre. There's a crazy amount of societies and sports clubs at the Uni so it sounds dead cheesy but there is something for everyone.
I did a science degree (Zoology) so can't really comment on the teaching from your course but mine was great, obviously some lecturers are better than others but generally it was fab.
The accommodation is pretty good, I didn't really like Halls but that's mainly because I had a kind of *****y first year (personal issues not the Uni) - I was in Cripps which is definitely one of the best ones, the rooms are really big and that part of the campus is really nice - plus it's super close to the Health Centre so when you inevitably get Fresher's Flu you don't have to drag yourself too far. The food isn't exactly Michelin Star quality but it's not horrific, there's a decent choice, and Cripps Hall where you have dinner does look a bit like the Great Hall from Harry Potter so that's pretty good haha!

Let me know if you have any more questions, I spent 4 years there so I know a fair bit about Notts!

Thank you so much for your reply!!

I'm definitely feeling more inclined towards Nottingham now, especially after hearing so many good things about it! The nightlife does seem really good too as you mentioned and actually sounds like there's a lot to do around the campus too which is great.

I've heard quite a few people who've stayed at Cripps now - what are the rooms generally like in terms of size and ensuites etc?

Thanks for you reply again haha I feel like I know so much more now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending