The Student Room Group

Gabrielle ' s Grow your Grades and Get into university blog

Scroll to see replies

So today had more productive school day. WE actually did something new :biggrin:.
Well in maths we did another trug topic.

Biology we mostly looking at the breakdown of our grades etc.
So apparently my paper 1 was an A however my paper two was a D somehow. My teacher thinks there is something wrong there and has requested the paper script and we might get it remarked. (I hoping they marked it wrong *praying actually) but still if I genuinely did just mess up that paper it's alright because I'll get a B prediction anyway ( my C was 1 mark of a B). AAB I can work with that (of course my actual grades I hope to be much higher).

Anyway enough about that today what I got done was:
Rewrite biology AS unit 2 part A part 1
Did questions in the textbook on it
Rewrite maths notes (only a few facts too about five mins)
Did questions in the textbook in solving cosec, sec and cot.

Tomorrow going to Sheffield for an open day !!!!! Really excited as I want this to be my firm.
Work wise I won't be doing anything. Iitsss da weekend !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So just came home from Sheffield and I have to say it wasn't what I expected....
It was even better than I expected. It had that homey natury feel that I want but at the same time was cityish and seemed to have alot of city life and stuff going on. Just what I want in a university I really hope I can apply there >. <

Posted from TSR Mobile
So start of another week.
Maths class was productive.
Biology teacher wasn't there (but she had a reason not to be) she left us to read over the first few parts of the genetics chapter and do the questions (most of which I did but still had one exercise).

Also aside from school work did some AS biology rewrite -prokaryotic cells
And some maths rewriting of the topic covered today - identities for cot sec and cosec. Also did the exercise in the book for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just finished for today :
Had maths and bio today
We did product rule in maths and a bit of photosynthesis in bio

Separate I wrote over the notes for these
Also did questions on maths topic
And rewrite AS biology cell compensation analysis
Also did the questions on this topic

So they got back the script of my paper (without the additional sheet but they'll send it soon) and they didn't make a mistake marking it but I lost mst of my marks for crappy wording (lol me writing stupdily).
So since its that my teacher is predicting me and A as we can work a bit on working and paper 1 I got an A in.

An A prediction is all I really want but still will exceed that prediction if I work really good this year.

So so far my predictions are AA not sure about maths yet but since my grade was an A and my teacher is aware of what I need for university I think he'll predict me an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As usual finished work extra As questions in chemistry were done and usually for maths.

So this is my routine usually do
the questions on the topics learned that day
The rewriting of the material learnt that day
The AS rewrite and questions if it's a linear subject.

So that this doesn't get repetitive I'll start updating weekly to confirm this and will also update when anything special or to do with university happens

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys today I went to Keele University open day. The university was good very beautiful but I don't really like the town it's in. Definitely leaning more towards sheffield etc but was still a very nice place

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys been continuing to follow my routine

Also I asked my teacher if I could have a copy of my script and the mark scheme of my biology paper 2 so I could make improvements. So dissapointed with how dumb I was during that exam will need to massively work on my exam technique and how I handle exams in general.

Also getting my personal statement checked by my teachers I'll probably finish with their improvements by the end of the week then I will send it to some other people and also tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Update :
As usual following routine
However next week I might do something different (more on that next week)

Personal statment has now been checked by my teachers and tutor I should be done with the corrections tonight/tomorrow.
Will then send it to a personal checking service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just finished making the improvements unto of other work and doing homework exam questions kinda tired (but not sleepy tired).
I'm way more happy with my personal statement now (but still could use some improvements here and there).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys so I didn't say this but this Monday I started to self learn AS physics.

Why have I done this: well I feel it will be really helpful for my degree and I find the topics much more interesting now looking at it.

Will I be taking an exam in it: no I don't think I should just yet as I don't want any added stress this year I will really want to make sure I hit my target grades and get into university. Also to convince my school to put me in for an exam and classes (when the timetables aren't really that flexible in the first place) I don't see that going well. Plus idk I just want to learn something for the sake of it and not just for passing an exam

Do I plan to take an exam on it ever: mayb I'm not sure I might want to take it in the future just so you know another qualification but again I'm learning it purely out of interest and that I think it would benefit future learning

How is it going: well I'm using new spec Aqa and checking off the specification and seems ok so far (I'm not too far though) I might try do some questions on it later on months coming just to see if I actually understand what I'm learning and am learning it the right way

Lastly though if I feel I'm too busy or if I think it will prevent me from getting my grades I will stop it immediately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys I guess a bit of an update:
So I'll be at my AS goals ahead if tume (by next week) which is to finish rewriting half of the content and do all the questions on that content.

Update about A2 stuff I guess well based on the homework (mostly exam questions) I'd say I'm doing well I think already way better than I did last year. However I still have a few things to work on and will try to work even harder these coming months.

As it relates to physics I am now at what u think will be my favourite particle physics(which is only topic 2 though). I think I'm understanding the content for that and u check with other people.

As it relates to university application I got my personal statement checked by tsr made the suitable improvements/ corrections. Will just let one organisation check it and then I think I'm all set to apply just waiting on my reference to come through.
That's all folks

Posted from TSR Mobile
So today was a chemistry (literally three hours of chemistry class and that's it) which I love.
We have now done new content (we were reaping over year 13 work we did in the summer ) the content seems ok.

As usual I've been writing my notes and dping questions .
I'm probably going to get exam questions on the content tomorrow so we'll see how I handle those .

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys you know how I said my bio teacher was willing to predict me an A.

Well I found out today that I can only get that A prediction if in the next assessment I get an A. :/ she said at this point in time shell predict me a B but if I get an A in the next assessment she will predict me an A. .....
Kind of worried because it puts alot if pressure on me (as I wanted to slowly build my grades up) but I'm willing to accept the challenge and will be using time to prepare for that.

Luckily I've basically met my goals for AS content rewrites and answering questions so I can take my focus off that and focus on getting amazing grades on this assessment .. wish me luck though I don't know when it is.

Otherwise everything else is good as usual we got exam questions for chemistry and I think I'm coping pretty well only a few I'm not sure on so will go to my teacher tomorrow and ask him about them.

That's all folks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yo people's how's it going just a kinda update:
Found out my mocks start October 31st so will have to start gearing up for those (I'll start revision centred on those next week) .
This week I've continued to rewrite AS stuff because I don't want it cutting into my mocks.
Classis didn't have much my biology teacher wasn't there so just got some AS exam questions.

Seems like I'll probably have to wait until atleast my biology "assessment" (probably sometime in the week before half term) to send off my application as the reference is what in waiting on. Will also be preparing for that starting next week and possible do alot of revision the weekend before especially.

Physics well resources are kinda slim so I've ordered the AQA revision guides hopefully when those come it will fill any gaps I might have.

All in all I think it's going ok I'm more determined than ever to do amazing this year because I've just been thinking if I don't do well this year what my life would be like and it makes me determined to get the best grades I possibly can and blow these exams out of the water.

That's all later .

Posted from TSR Mobile
So alot a has happened in these past few days.
Well alot of work but also alot of changes to my life.
Put it simply I'm going to be taking a Gap Year. The reasons for this is that some circumstances have possible prevented me from going to university this year. Also upon thinking about it I've realised that this would be a good opportunity to get an out of school experience and have a year where I don't really worry about grades.

What will I be planning to do in this Gap year well:
Get and apprentiship -this is ideally what I want as I could earn a bit of money whilst still learning things that may be applicable to my course. So I want an apprenticeship in the engineering or science industry.

Get a job - if I don't get an apprenticeship then I'll go with this and get the best job I can possibly get.

Do Physics A-level - well this is not plan 3 more like a plan along side the others. However talking with my chemistry teachers today he said it wpuld be better to just stick with my 3 a levels and get amazing grades in that so basically "quality over quantity".
As a result therefore I won't study a level physics along side thus year I'll wait till I go on my gap year and if I feel I really want to I will study it and do an exam in it.
I might every now and then try to learn a bit if I have alot of free time and have already covered my other 3 subjects but they are my main priority.

So finally how does this change my goals: not at all well kinda it motivates me even more to get that A* A* A* and I will work so hard and smart this year to achieve this. I am ready to do this I can do this!!

That's all

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys little update. Things are going ok. Looking for engineering apprentiships etc. Found a few thst look interesting but going to continue to look .

School wise I think everything is going well. Continuing to do hw and studying etc
Have that test on Thursday so to prepare I rewrote photosynthesis and respiration out of my head and then compared to the book correcting any words I said wrong and anything I missed out etc.
Thankfully biology were ahead of schedule so my teacher has been kind enough to use a class to revise the topics .

That's all guys more later. At the end of next week I'll talk about my half term plans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys did the test yesterday on photosynthesis and respiration ,
Didn't get the A got a B oh well I'll b predicted a B then

In other big news I may not be going to university possibly instead thinking about a degree/higher apprentiship in eng

Posted from TSR Mobile
My half term plan:
I have mocks as soon as I get back so to prepare for those I will be doing as much practice questions as possible and this is my routine:

Monday: Math
Tuesday :Chemistry
Wednesday:Biology
Thursday:Assessment on topics that I struggled on
Friday:Intervention on these topics by possibly relearning topics and then doing a few more questions

Targets for mocks:as I haven't done any past papers for this year and its still very early in the year I have set my target at my AS level grades:
So
Math:A
Chemistry :B
Biology :B (got a C but was 1 mark away from a B and very much need to push my bio grade up)

As usual I'm not changing my goals determined more than ever to succeed and get A*A*A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just finished work for today

Did a few questions on each topic of core 3 :
Functions
Trigonometry
Exponentials and logs
Differentiation
Integration
Numerical methods

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tomorow I think I'll do some AS chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile