The Student Room Group

Not having a laptop for uni

so i wont have a laptop when I move to uni in two weeks, I'm just wondering whether its essential or would it not matter at all if I were to buy one say in the second term for example?
Reply 1
Original post by h.xlx
so i wont have a laptop when I move to uni in two weeks, I'm just wondering whether its essential or would it not matter at all if I were to buy one say in the second term for example?

What do you plan to do when you need to do coursework? You could always use your library's computers, but having a laptop makes things easier. Also, a lot of unis these days upload lecture notes, reading lists, podcasts etc online, to Blackboard or Moddle etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Airmed
What do you plan to do when you need to do coursework? You could always use your library's computers, but having a laptop makes things easier. Also, a lot of unis these days upload lecture notes, reading lists, podcasts etc online, to Blackboard or Moddle etc.

Yeah I was thinking of using library computers, I know it'll be a pain in the ass, but I can't see a maths course really having enough computer use. or maybe I'm just being naive.
Reply 3
Original post by h.xlx
Yeah I was thinking of using library computers, I know it'll be a pain in the ass, but I can't see a maths course really having enough computer use. or maybe I'm just being naive.

It will become a pain in the ass around the busy times.

@SeanFM you study Maths, right? Do you need a laptop much?
Original post by h.xlx

Original post by Airmed
It will become a pain in the ass around the busy times.

@SeanFM you study Maths, right? Do you need a laptop much?

Can't speak for your uni, but with mine the uni library gets quite busy close to exam time and finding a computer is pretty difficult, so if you literally have 0 access around then..it's not ideal.

A laptop is very handy for uni in general, whether it's looking at notes online (you definitely need the access to notes, problem sheets etc.. can't rely on having everything to hand though you can try to make it work. You'd have to print out past papers every time etc...)

Also with maths, chances are you'll have a computing module that involves coding, though naturally you probably won't need that around exam time, a laptop is useful for that though. As is a uni computer

If nothing else, get an iPad or some kind of tablet if money is an issue.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Can't speak for your uni, but with mine the uni library gets quite busy close to exam time and finding a computer is pretty difficult, so if you literally have 0 access around then..it's not ideal.

A laptop is very handy for uni in general, whether it's looking at notes online (you definitely need the access to notes, problem sheets etc.. can't rely on having everything to hand though you can try to make it work. You'd have to print out past papers every time etc...)

Also with maths, chances are you'll have a computing module that involves coding, though naturally you probably won't need that around exam time, a laptop is useful for that though. As is a uni computer

Thanks, Sean, I had thought it was you. :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM

I totally forgot about tablets, I could do that. Thanks for the solid advice man! :smile:
Think you should try and get something even if it is a cheaper model or second hand. Nothing beats having your own and not having to hang around for a library pc. Good luck . :smile:
Reply 8
I bet your uni, has tablets and laptop for rent/loan. Or even one for a cheaper price. Maybe try and dig around their website for deals and call them up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending