The Student Room Group

I love London - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Haram Bae
You have high house prices because lots of top jobs are there, it's not the same.

The top jobs are there because employers know that London is the best and has the best infrastructure and resources to base their firms in. And it's a global, world-class city, unlike any other city in the UK.
Original post by queen-bee
What's there not to like about London :heart:

Very true! :clap2: :five: :woo:

We are of one opinion. :teehee:
Original post by Snufkin
What do you love most, the hyper-inflated house prices, the smell of exhaust fumes the moment you leave your front door or the depression-inducing light pollution?

I embrace all 3. Lol, I'm only 16, no house prices for me!
I'm moving to London to study at Uni. Any tips for living in London?
Original post by Trapz99
The top jobs are there because employers know that London is the best and has the best infrastructure and resources to base their firms in. And it's a global, world-class city, unlike any other city in the UK.

London is ''the best'' because of the colonial legacy and the fact the UK government has invested heavily in it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's a pretty early start, what was the job?

I think I'm lucky because I live quite near work, at least in my current job, so I don't currently suffer the commuter hell that makes life hard for a lot of Londoners and people who travel in to work.

I was working in London Docklands in the exhibition centre for Ride London xx
Original post by longsightdon

1. Don't die.
2. Follow rule 2.
3. If you break rule 2, follow rule 4.
4. Follow rule 5.
5. Don't die.

But on a serious note, just learn your way around. I dunno where you're coming from, but London is HUGE. So learn the tubes etc. inside out. Don't get lost, although there will always be a tube station at least 15mins away wherever you are.
Love London as well.

But there must be things about London that you detest, I for one hate the air pollution and the public transportation
Born and raised central! Excited to get to know a new city at uni but I know I'll miss this place <3
Original post by longsightdon

Oh cool. :hugs: Well, take it one day at a time. Depending on your experiences, it can be quite intimidating for some people. Focus on getting to know people, make a few friends and things will go better. Keep in mind that you can do lots of things for free that are nice, so don't be too tempted to spend through cash, there are lots of ways! Ask a lot of questions and don't be put off by all the people who seem to be completely cool and know what's what. Also, learn how to walk around the central areas (tubes are often not necessary, many things are closer than they seem) and learn how to use the buses, they are sometimes nicer than going underground.
Original post by Vividly clear
Love London as well.

But there must be things about London that you detest, I for one hate the air pollution and the public transportation

Of course, I can't stand the pollution, especially around E. Central London where I live and work. We desperately need to widen the congestion charging zone, we need more cycle-only routes and pedestrian-only routes and we need to stop big lorries and vans and SUVs and the old kinds of taxi clogging the city with diesel fumes all day and all night.

The public transport of course could be loads better. Things will start to look up when Crossrail opens next year and then after that we have some big improvements like new tramlines, the closure of Oxford St, pedestrianisation of Soho and new N-S cycle superhighways, so watch this space.

Also we have a great Mayor who really cares about the city as a whole, unlike Boris, who was just for the City and the rich class.
I'm a Londoner, and absolutely love the city. It's the little things, like having a free evening newspaper to read on my nightly commute, or knowing that many blokes from the TV live near me, as well as the big, obvious factors.
Reply 52
I'm a Londoner as well and I'm proud to live in the city. My questions to you are what do you think of the new Hopper fare announced by the Mayor, Sadiq Khan and also what is your favourite place in the capital and why?
Original post by Warrior Gene
Never been to but love UK mainly because of the weather.

A bold introduction, even by FetLife standards.
Original post by Profesh
A bold introduction, even by FetLife standards.

Didnt understand your comment. What I mean was its not extremely hot in summers which is a good thing and rain and cloudy weather does not bother me.
Original post by JTran38
I'm a Londoner as well and I'm proud to live in the city. My questions to you are what do you think of the new Hopper fare announced by the Mayor, Sadiq Khan and also what is your favourite place in the capital and why?

It doesn't affect me personally as I use an all-year Oyster season, but yes, I think it's a great idea and will help a lot more people get around affordably, particularly in S. London. It's kind of a normal thing in lots of European cities, so arguably we should have had it or something like it a long time ago.
Adore my city. :love:

Breakfast: what did you have? :holmes:
Original post by iEthan
Adore my city. :love:

Breakfast: what did you have? :holmes:

It's luverly! :teehee:

This morning I had an veggie breakfast grill at Premises on Hackney Rd. :drool:

You? :smile:
Here is some Hawaiin food. Ate this last night.

Quick Reply

Latest