The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

so during my ukcat revision period of a month and a half i have read every single post in this thread and its been so helpful,
MY UKCAT IS TOMORROW
i hope i do well need about 700 average i hope so finger crossed
Original post by pvk19.
Does the UKCAT ninja actually represent the QR? It seems too easy but what about the AR as well? What does medify prepare you for? Please reply. Thanks x

For QR ukcat ninja is by far the very best.

To give you a good idea on the actual QR, ALL my questions were not hard. Very simple maths. But each questions would take on average about 45 seconds to complete. (roughly, some more some less).

The idea is to do the quick ones and sometimes i had to guess the longer ones. they were IN NO WAY HARD, just long.

To give you an idea, im 37 and by no means a maths genius. Far far from it in fact.

in modify mocks i got 550, 700, 670.
In UKCAT official mocks i got 530, 650, 600.

For real i got 720.

I found most of the QR questions in prep a little tricky.
However in the real test i was massively surprised. A very big sigh of relief. Good preparation is the key. Over preparing with modify and such is quite handy.

However, after using most resources, i would now swear by UKCAT ninja.
For QR, its by far the best. simple, swift, but longer QR questions.

Do not worry about QR. i would say personally, 5 i could not understand fully (weird graph), 5 would of taken ages, the rest were no problem. Just long.

I hope that helps.

But defo ukcat ninja. Its the closest to the real thing.
Original post by mearisss
scoring 65% is very good in any section its very hard to give an estimate b/c they have a very weird scoring system, but I would estimate it would give you probably around 750-800 points.

It's around 690
I'm an undergraduate applicant and was wondering if anyone knows where my stats might be okay?
GCSE: 4A*, 7A
AS results: AABC (maths, biology, chemistry, music respictively)
A level pred: A*AA for maths, bio and chem (and A* WBQ)
UKCAT: 1990 (663.3 AV) VR:590 QR:740 AR:660 SJT: Band 2

I have done a weeks work experience in a GPs surgery, volunteered for a few months at a care home and have a Saturday job in a pharmacy as a HCA.I've also done a trek to Everest base camp for charity (don't know if that will help at all?)I'm thinking of applying Liverpool, St. Georges, Plymouth and I don't know where else, any advice?
Original post by Jesslouise1996
Please can someone give me some advice?!

I have had a job in a gp practice for 1 year as a HCA where my independent clinics consist of blood tests, stitch removal ECGs spirometries, dressings, b12 injections, flu jabs and health and lifestyle advice.

GCSE: 5A* 5A
A levels AAAaa

UKCAT 627 average:frown: SJ band1

I really don't know where to apply, I know my UKCAT score isn't strong but I do have a lot of work experience I plan on sitting the BMAT too

Bristol love someone with really good experience and they don't have a UKCAT cutoff either, they mainly look at your personal statement pre interview
Original post by Fleuves
Liverpool would love you :-) *

Thank you for your advice, I've looked into Liverpool but I was worried about how they use their UKCAT?
Original post by El3398
Bristol love someone with really good experience and they don't have a UKCAT cutoff either, they mainly look at your personal statement pre interview

Thank you! I've heard they use 10% UKCAT
Top tips for VR from anyone who's done the test??? I would really appreciate it.

Annoying thing is, I completely understand the questions and manage to get the answers right BUT under timed conditions I'm a complete nightmare :frown: Any help would be much appreciated :smile: Thanks in advance
Reply 4288
Original post by GenericEm
Honestly, I found the questions much simpler in the test than in the 1000Q book and also the UKCAT mocks on their website. As the book says, focus on percentage change and ratios as these are the most common questions. Make sure you can look at charts with lots of info and be able to pick out the important information in around 40 seconds for each question. I was getting 600 constantly in mocks, and ended up getting 250 more in the real thing. Just make sure to practise and stay calm and collected, and you'll do great:smile:

Thank you. Did you use medify and if so what did you get in their mocks?
between medify and ukcat ninja, whats better for AR?
Reply 4290
Original post by osnapitzkimmy
Practice your mental maths and using the keyboard for the calculator, saves valuable time. Revise percentage changes using gcse bitesize until you know it like the back of your hand as they tend to come up a lot in QR. If you do these things, just practice lots and lots and you'll get faster with time. If you're really stuggling on a question just guess, flag and move on. Sometimes you can take an educated guess based on information eg. "Find the average for this set of data" you can sometimes do without a calculator because if there are answers given that are above/below the highest/lowest number in the set then you know it won't be those answers. Use ukcat ninja's QR question bank, there's a lot of questions to practice with and they seem to be the same sort of difficulty as the actual exam.

Good luck, hope everything goes well!

Thank you xxxx
Reply 4291
Original post by Bobofbobs
Is this a good score?
VR 870
QR 890
AR 770
Got 7A* 3A at gcse and AAAA in maths bio chem phys at AS do you think this will be enough?

OMG amazing score!!!!! Advice please. Especially for QR and AR!!!!! but words of wisdom for VR would also be fab
Original post by Maw1979
For QR ukcat ninja is by far the very best.

To give you a good idea on the actual QR, ALL my questions were not hard. Very simple maths. But each questions would take on average about 45 seconds to complete. (roughly, some more some less).

The idea is to do the quick ones and sometimes i had to guess the longer ones. they were IN NO WAY HARD, just long.

To give you an idea, im 37 and by no means a maths genius. Far far from it in fact.

in modify mocks i got 550, 700, 670.
In UKCAT official mocks i got 530, 650, 600.

For real i got 720.

I found most of the QR questions in prep a little tricky.
However in the real test i was massively surprised. A very big sigh of relief. Good preparation is the key. Over preparing with modify and such is quite handy.

However, after using most resources, i would now swear by UKCAT ninja.
For QR, its by far the best. simple, swift, but longer QR questions.

Do not worry about QR. i would say personally, 5 i could not understand fully (weird graph), 5 would of taken ages, the rest were no problem. Just long.

I hope that helps.

But defo ukcat ninja. Its the closest to the real thing.

Thank you!! xx How about the VR?-does the ISC 1000 med prepare you for that section? Thanks xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sniperdon227
hey can you let me know for VR how many questions in the real thing you actually attempted like did you do 30 and guess the remaining 14 or what?

I actually managed to get through them all without guessing and on the official mock tests I usually got 5 or 6 wrong at most
Original post by zoemccarthy34
OMG amazing score!!!!! Advice please. Especially for QR and AR!!!!! but words of wisdom for VR would also be fab

Thanks, I used medify and the 1000 question book, the 1000 question one had much harder QR than exam but I think it mentions this at the start? Read the question first don't try to take in all the data at once and medify is really good for timing.
AR I was rubbish at but somehow managed to pull it out the bag, was getting 60℅ on official mocks. I found the 1000 question book really useful for AR there are so many questions for AR in there.
(edited 7 years ago)
I actually managed to get through them all without guessing and on the official mock tests I usually got 5 or 6 wrong at most

HOW?!?!?! Can you elaborate please... Im intrigued
HOW?!?!?! Can you elaborate please... Im intrigued

Skim reading, only read in depth when I needed to. Had about a minute spare at the end of my VR on the test.
Skim reading, only read in depth when I needed to. Had about a minute spare at the end of my VR on the test.

So you skim read the text then choose answers on what you think is correct?
So you skim read the text then choose answers on what you think is correct?

Kinda. So usually I'd skim read it then if I didn't know it id read that section again and used the skim read to rule out some statements for the statement ones. I dunno really I've always just been a quick reader which helps
Kinda. So usually I'd skim read it then if I didn't know it id read that section again and used the skim read to rule out some statements for the statement ones. I dunno really I've always just been a quick reader which helps

you may be a fast reader but it doesn't explain how you can justify a correct answer within a few seconds? lool you spent 29secs on av for each question, kill me now

Quick Reply