The Student Room Group

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Not the guy talking to me.,...he thinks a narrow religion and ethnicity define Britishness. I've noticed a lot of young people on here are getting extremely old and conservative in attitudes.

Someone else, I think in this thread, thought that Roman Catholicism is the British state religion.
Original post by Good bloke
Someone else, I think in this thread, thought that Roman Catholicism is the British state religion.

Weird. Maybe they are of latin descent.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Like some choice contributors here the Chinese are more racial in their world view, and they don't particularly care about our attitudes to race either so good luck trying to change that, although it's pretty sad.

What's more generally sad is that the diverse communities that Labour were so obsessed with 'rubbing the right's nose in', and the 'little Englanders'(who have actually had more mixed race children than anyone about, so go figure)are in such numbers more racial and conservative in world view than the British were.

And they mix only to go white it seems, in the case of South Asians, and the Carribeans even, who I don't think of as very conservative people. But hen I guess they are not, the point is they only mix to go 'white with their kids' otherwise they don't bother. But actually English people are nothing like as conservative, certainly not all of them as portrayed. The more rural ones are but tehy are about everything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by slaven
I do not know how it was received in Italy as it is a very old commercial.

I think the Chinese were mocking your western PC attitude. Even if you are true about they value more white skin. So what?

I am sure it is not without reason.

Again, when the chinese version was launched it was on all western anglo-saxon media outleats. Yet the originall one is to this day still unknown. Do you understand why?

Source? There is no evidence whatsoever that the Chinese ad had anything to do with the Italian one.

And using your logic, one could say that it is fine that the Italian ad had a blatant preference for dark skin, and that it probably isn't "without reason".

How do you define "Anglo-Saxon media"? Is that even a thing?
Original post by WBZ144
That video has more dislikes than likes, clearly people are not happy with it. And how much do you know about how it was received in Italy?

That does not negate my point about China. It's well known that white skin is worshipped over there and dark skin is looked down upon, so none of what was said in the OP surprised me at all, even if that ad had never been created

Lighter skin is definitely seen as more beautiful in Asian societies, especially India and China. But that is really down to their preference and its not really a problem.
Original post by Sayed0123
But that is really down to their preference and its not really a problem.

Rubbish! It is the root of considerable prejudice among Indians.
Reply 346
Original post by WBZ144
Source? There is no evidence whatsoever that the Chinese ad had anything to do with the Italian one.

And using your logic, one could say that it is fine that the Italian ad had a blatant preference for dark skin, and that it probably isn't "without reason".

How do you define "Anglo-Saxon media"? Is that even a thing?

I am on my mobile and to lazy to find it. The best is to google for yourself. And come on dont pretend; they are the same.

Well since you have no problems with the Italian one I will use the same standard and apply for the chinese. There is no problem with it.

Anglo-Saxon media = english speaking media which claim to be "trustworthy and non-biased". Bbc, guardian, cnn
Yes it is a thing
The Chinese airline has every certain right to advise us on areas populated by blacks . As a Chinese student myself that used to study in London, I've been through rough areas, and certainly bumped into situations where groups of South-London speaking blacks will come up and start shouting stereotypical Asian racial slurs to me, regardless whether it is in the morning or at night. You might think that if the blacks come to China it will be similar, but no most blacks don't understand Mandarin, and racial slurs to them will most likely be brushed off as they wont feel anything what they are saying
Reply 348
Original post by Wroetoshaw
The Chinese airline has every certain right to advise us on areas populated by blacks . As a Chinese student myself that used to study in London, I've been through rough areas, and certainly bumped into situations where groups of South-London speaking blacks will come up and start shouting stereotypical Asian racial slurs to me, regardless whether it is in the morning or at night. You might think that if the blacks come to China it will be similar, but no most blacks don't understand Mandarin, and racial slurs to them will most likely be brushed off as they wont feel anything what they are saying

lmaoooo at these fairytales.

Also love how you only mentioned blacks despite the OP mentioning Pakistanis and Indians. In all my 21 years of being black, the only racism I've experienced were at the hands of Asians :dontknow:

Yeah they have a right, but that doesn't stop them from being criticised. Besides, mainland china is nothing to write home about. Poverty stricken areas and China are probably much worse then those in London.
Original post by Vanny
lmaoooo at these fairytales.

Also love how you only mentioned blacks despite the OP mentioning Pakistanis and Indians. In all my 21 years of being black, the only racism I've experienced were at the hands of Asians :dontknow:

Yeah they have a right, but that doesn't stop them from being criticised. Besides, mainland china is nothing to write home about. Poverty stricken areas and China are probably much worse then those in London.

The Pakistanis are busy selling weed in Hyde park, and they probably have no time to be racist to the Chinese. Black people in China is a rare occurrence and it is unsurprising and understandable that there maybe some element of racism.
Reply 350
Original post by Wroetoshaw
The Pakistanis are busy selling weed in Hyde park, and they probably have no time to be racist to the Chinese. Black people in China is a rare occurrence and it is unsurprising and understandable that there maybe some element of racism.

ugh, you seem to suffer from small minded foreigner syndrome. What are Chinese people busy doing then? Slaughtering domestic pets and poisoning us with fake meat?
See I can stereotype to :h:

So being prejudice is understandable? Lol wut? It's never justified to judge someone by race. Perhaps China should update their mentality a bit. It's the 21st century.

Lemme just go and avoid all Chinese people then since they seem like the most racist people on earth.
Original post by Sayed0123
Lighter skin is definitely seen as more beautiful in Asian societies, especially India and China. But that is really down to their preference and its not really a problem.

I don't care about "preference", I care about people being treated differently for being dark. I say this judging by the testimonies of Blacks and dark skinned Asians who have lived there, as well as my own experiences in a similar society.
Original post by slaven
I am on my mobile and to lazy to find it. The best is to google for yourself. And come on dont pretend; they are the same.

Well since you have no problems with the Italian one I will use the same standard and apply for the chinese. There is no problem with it and personally hope a commercial where a black dude will be washed into a white one.

Anglo-Saxon media = english speaking media which claim to be "trustworthy and non-biased". Bbc, guardian, cnn
Yes it is a thing

Anglo-saxons are people who moved to Britain several centuries ago, so the phrase makes no sense at all :lol:

Where did I say that there way nothing wrong with the Italian one?

Don't pretend that what is the same?

Cool story, hope you get what you dream about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zainyyyyy
being an englishman means you are from england.... If you are physically born in England then you are a british citizen, you are english. Im afraid you are just infact retarded

a horse giving birth to a foal in a pigpen is still a foal, this is basic biology here.

If I moved to Japan etc with an English wife and had children born in Tokyo would they be Japanese? Despite my children not having a single drop of Japanese heritage? Of course not. They might be able to become Japanese Citizens but they are not Japanese

Citizenship and ethnicity are two very different things
Original post by remiremi
a horse giving birth to a foal in a pigpen is still a foal, this is basic biology here.

If I moved to Japan etc with an English wife and had children born in Tokyo would they be Japanese? Despite my children not having a single drop of Japanese heritage? Of course not. They might be able to become Japanese Citizens but they are not Japanese

Citizenship and ethnicity are two very different things

ethnicity is a complicated thing........
Original post by Vanny
ugh, you seem to suffer from small minded foreigner syndrome. What are Chinese people busy doing then? Slaughtering domestic pets and poisoning us with fake meat?
See I can stereotype to :h:

So being prejudice is understandable? Lol wut? It's never justified to judge someone by race. Perhaps China should update their mentality a bit. It's the 21st century.

Lemme just go and avoid all Chinese people then since they seem like the most racist people on earth.

You might as well just avoid all White American policeman as well,as they seem to enjoy shooting blacks for fun and neglecting their rights
Original post by cambio wechsel
Seems sensible advice. Black chaps are often quite "to the point" in their manner and if Chinese fellows go into predominantly black areas they might be told in no uncertain terms that it is not acceptable to wee in the street, jump queues, smoke in restaurants or spit on the floor of the tesco extra.

the Chinee may not be aware that it is a faux pas to wear one's trousers all the way up when visiting these places. *
Original post by Gman786
Its really weird how chinese people act around black people. I am ucl and we have a tonne of chinese people here and the chinese people are so racist towards black people. Its so sad man. One of my good friends at uni is black and hes really smart. Cmon
Chinese ppl loosen up!

Just curious but in what kind of ways do they act racist?
Original post by ftw93
>when you listen to rap music and go to black lives matter rallies but they still say you are white
racists

>meme arrows on tsr

Listening to rap music means you cant be racist? the ****
Reply 359
Original post by WBZ144
Anglo-saxons are people who moved to Britain several centuries ago, so the phrase makes no sense at all :lol:

Where did I say that there way nothing wrong with the Italian one?

Don't pretend that what is the same?

Cool story, hope you get what you dream about.

Well in non-western political slang Anglo-Saxons are refered to english nations like UK, Usa, Canada. Since they are all the same to us we call them Anglo-Saxons. It is the same term like Slavs for Russians, Poles etc.

Well since the reaction of the people who share you ideology was passive toward the italian commercial I suppose it is to you as well. The pandoras box is opened.

Quick Reply

Latest