The Student Room Group

the following calculations all involve physical quantities

identify any calculations that are meaningless and evaluate those that are valid?
63s+52s-34s-41s
i dont know what i am supposed to do with that, it doesen't even equal anything, i dont understand the question either. please help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by p29
identify any calculations that are meaningless and evaluate those that are valid?
63s+52s-34s-41s
i dont know what i am supposed to do with that, it doesen't even equal anything, i dont understand the question either. please help

Post a picture of the question.
Reply 2
image.jpg
Original post by Zacken
Post a picture of the question.
Reply 3
any ideas?
Reply 4

Alright, so the first one is valid because you are subtracting and adding units of time to get an overall positive time. Nothing fishy with that.

However, some of them are completely invalid, how can you add amperes to volts like in 3??

You get the gist?
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Alright, so the first one is valid because you are subtracting and adding units of time to get an overall positive time. Nothing fishy with that.

However, some of them are completely invalid, how can you add amperes to volts like in 3??

You get the gist?

ohhh, thanks:smile:
what if there was negative time, would that be invalid?
Reply 6
Original post by p29
ohhh, thanks:smile:
what if there was negative time, would that be invalid?

Yep! Precisely, it makes no sense (in most scenarios) to have a negative time.
Reply 7
Lol.. Think of units as different fruits. You cant add a banana to an orange and vice versa. You cant add a mV to a mA as volts and amperes measure two different things. A mJ and J can be added because a milli joule is 1/1000ths of a joule. The units needs to be homogeneous to be added/ minused.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Yep! Precisely, it makes no sense (in most scenarios) to have a negative time.

once again, thank you:smile:
Original post by p29
once again, thank you:smile:

I would say it doesn't invalidate it because if you're referring to relationships between times in a rates of reaction experiment, say, you may want to subtract times.
Reply 10
Original post by ValerieKR
I would say it doesn't invalidate it because if you're referring to relationships between times in a rates of reaction experiment, say, you may want to subtract times.

oh god
Original post by p29
oh god

The only other questionable one (than those mentioned) is Newtons being a vector rather than scalar, but again it does not invalidate it because there are situations where it makes sense.
Reply 12

...I'm glad I didn't do chemistry. :tongue:

But, are you sure you are subtracting times? And not s1s^{-1}? Because that's what rate usually means (from what I know).
Original post by Zacken
...I'm glad I didn't do chemistry. :tongue:

But, are you sure you are subtracting times? And not s1s^{-1}? Because that's what rate usually means.

you can talk about half lives with s^1
Reply 14
Original post by Gman786
Lol.. Think of units as different fruits. You cant add a banana to an orange and vice versa. You cant add a mV to a mA as volts and amperes measure two different things. A mJ and J can be added because a milli joule is 1/1000ths of a joule. The units needs to be homogeneous to be added/ minused.

homogenous? plz explain
Reply 15
you can talk about half lives with s^1

But does a negative half life make any sense?
Reply 16
Original post by p29
homogenous? plz explain

The same up to a constant.

So you can add mJ and J because they're essentially joules, just that mJ has a constant factor attached to the Joules.
Original post by Zacken
But does a negative half life make any sense?

You could find the difference between two half lives
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
The same up to a constant.

So you can add mJ and J because they're essentially joules, just that mJ has a constant factor attached to the Joules.

Yh exactly what zacken said. Homogeneous means "same"
Reply 19
You could find the difference between two half lives

Fair enough. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest