The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Going to into 2nd year at Uni of Leeds, ask away!

Any questions, I'm here to help
Is it true Leeds has the best night life? And women? :P
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Yeah nightlife is the best, and depends I guess women??? Decide that for yourself
Reply 3
What are your favourite places for nights out? Any clubs/bars to avoid?
What are the best and worst parts about living there? both in terms of the uni and the area :smile:
Original post by Emsies
What are your favourite places for nights out? Any clubs/bars to avoid?

Original post by Leilachent
What are the best and worst parts about living there? both in terms of the uni and the area :smile:

Hi I've been at UoL for a couple of years now, personally being into the more indie/rock scene I'd say my favourite nights out in no particular order are Stone Roses Bar (open Thursday to Saturday, each night is equally as good), Wire (Thursday), HiFi (Tuesday) and of course the legendary Fruity in the union (Friday) the Top Gun night in the union which is once a month is also good if you're into power ballads and old school rock. I'd say other than the indie/rock scene there's probably 2 more groups you can class clubs in: the cheap student night out with chart/house/hip-hop music and then the heavy grime/dubstep/wavy night out where everyone where's bucket hats and drinks only water all night (if you get what I mean). For the former you've got Pryzm on Monday, Tiger Tiger on Tuesday, Mission on Thursday, Space on Friday and Warehouse/O2/pretty much most clubs on Saturday. For the latter there's Mint Mondays, Mint Warehouse (More one off events) and Beaverworks. In terms of places to avoid I can't really say any one place stands out, there's always a chance you'll run into one or two idiots no matter where you go, a mate of mine did get punched for no good reason in Space a couple of years ago put a lot of people really enjoy that night so it's hard to blame the club itself. If you're a girl then obviously there is the worry about unwanted sexual advances and groping which I haven't seen or heard much from my female friends but does happen, I'd say the cheaper the night out the more idiots it attracts and if you're looking for a safe night out then the union is very good and also HiFi as it always seems to be about 70% female.

Speaking in terms of bars then Call Lane is your best bet if you don't mind spending a fair wedge as it has a number of bars all very close together catering to all music tastes, to keep the cost down avoid Saturday nights and get hold of a Revolution discount card (a lot of societies give out the discount cards when you join) as they have a bar on Call Lane and further North in town near the university.

Best parts about Leeds:
- Nightlife is top notch
- Union is very good
- Bakery 164 (Sandwich shop opposite Parkinson building, get the Sweet Potato and Chicken it's divine)
- Good transport links

Bad things:
- Quite windy
- The vast majority of libraries/study spaces are either boiling hot or freezing cold
- You have to do exams
Reply 6
Which would you say is the best place to stay on campus (residences wise)?
- Bakery 164 (Sandwich shop opposite Parkinson building, get the Sweet Potato)

Honestly all I ever heard about in first year. I never went because it was always so crazily busy!
Original post by GM8045
Which would you say is the best place to stay on campus (residences wise)?

If money's no object and you can't/won't cook (at least on weekdays) then Storm Jameson which compromises most of Charles Morris Halls is probably the most aesthetically appealing, pretty much all ensuite as well (about £170 per week you'd expect your own bog). If you prefer to be self catered then Central Village is once again the nicest on the inside but do be warned they are currently building a new block of central village and plan on building a new Innovation and Enterprise Centre very close to central village, so building works noise may be a problem (they avoid early mornings and nights but if your studying or whatever). Finally Henry Price isn't bad for student accommodation, self catered, one bathroom between two, nearly £70 cheaper per week than Charles Morris and about £30 cheaper than central village. Can't say much about the smaller residences on campus, they tend to attract quite a high percentage of international students.

Quick Reply

Latest