The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi!

Course applying to: English
I'm an American so I'm doing different qualifications, but here they are....
Advanced Placement Exams:
- already taken: English lit, US History, European History: 5,5,5
- predicted: French, Calculus, Art History: 5,5,5
SAT II's: 680 and 800 English and US History
ACT: on my first go I got a 31, but I'm taking it again so hopefully higher?
Supra-curricular: school newspaper editor, head teacher's assistant for English department at my school, internship at archives library, and water polo team captain
Other Unis: Durham, UCL, Bristol, Cambridge

Good luck everyone!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Course Applying: Medicine, Cell Biology (backup)

AS/A2 subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics (AS), EPQ (ethics of cost variation in cancer drugs)

GCSE grades: 7 A*s, 4 As and a B

AS predicted: AAAA

AS grades: AAAB (happy with that, Physics was a shambles!) + A* EPQ

Supra-curriculars: EPQ, placement in GP surgery, volunteering with the elderly, Arts Award, Social Mobility Foundation (London) and Sutton Trust (St Andrews) summer schools, scheme teaching primary school children French, making speeches at open days (badly!)

Other unis considering/applying to: Edinburgh, Exeter, Bristol

I love how tiny St Andrews is, I'm from Cornwall and not used to cities so it's like home... just 600-odd miles away!

Best of luck everyone :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chvrches

Supra-curriculars: EPQ, placement in GP surgery, volunteering with the elderly, Arts Award, Social Mobility Foundation (London) and Sutton Trust (St Andrews) summer schools, scheme teaching primary school children French, making speeches at open days (badly!)

Really noice SC's, I guess it's true when they say med applicants always have the best ones :biggrin: Are you going to any of the open days? If so, how are you getting there?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DarkEnergy
Really noice SC's, I guess it's true when they say med applicants always have the best ones :biggrin: Are you going to any of the open days? If so, how are you getting there?

Thanks! Yeah, I tried to get as many as I could, just to stand a chance :biggrin: I'm not planning on going to any of the open days at the minute (the ones I was on about were the types of events my school organise) - I made my mind up about St Andrews during the ST residential, which was amazing! It took me forever to get there though, I had to take a combination of plane, train and buses - I don't know if I'd fancy making that trip again in a hurry, unless it was to actually go to the uni! Are you thinking of going to any?
Thanks! Yeah, I tried to get as many as I could, just to stand a chance :biggrin: I'm not planning on going to any of the open days at the minute (the ones I was on about were the types of events my school organise) - I made my mind up about St Andrews during the ST residential, which was amazing! It took me forever to get there though, I had to take a combination of plane, train and buses - I don't know if I'd fancy making that trip again in a hurry, unless it was to actually go to the uni! Are you thinking of going to any?

Wow, a plane‽ Hopefully going to go to one during October, a friend and I are both applying for physics so provided he passes his driving test next week he's gonna drive me up and I'll just pay for half of the fuel costs. It's a good 4 hour drive so we'll have to set off early.
Wow, a plane‽ Hopefully going to go to one during October, a friend and I are both applying for physics so provided he passes his driving test next week he's gonna drive me up and I'll just pay for half of the fuel costs. It's a good 4 hour drive so we'll have to set off early.

Yeah, it was either a plane, a twelve hour train journey or driving for 8 hours! The flights there and back weren't actually too bad, so I went with that :biggrin: Sounds good, let's hope your friend passes his test!

How are you finding Physics so far this year? I dropped it after AS, I love the subject but my teachers were awful! The A2 course looked so much better though...
Yeah, it was either a plane, a twelve hour train journey or driving for 8 hours! The flights there and back weren't actually too bad, so I went with that :biggrin: Sounds good, let's hope your friend passes his test!

How are you finding Physics so far this year? I dropped it after AS, I love the subject but my teachers were awful! The A2 course looked so much better though...

Yeah I hope so, otherwise it's £70 on the train :s-smilie: We haven't done much so far, just a bit of gravitational fields and circular motion. Its fairly straight forward but I'm expecting it to get a lot harder soon. We're doing Astrophysics as our optional module so I'm looking forward to that. I can empathise with the bad teachers thing, we had a bad one for AS but we don't have him anymore for year 13 so that's good :colondollar:
Yeah I hope so, otherwise it's £70 on the train :s-smilie: We haven't done much so far, just a bit of gravitational fields and circular motion. Its fairly straight forward but I'm expecting it to get a lot harder soon. We're doing Astrophysics as our optional module so I'm looking forward to that. I can empathise with the bad teachers thing, we had a bad one for AS but we don't have him anymore for year 13 so that's good :colondollar:

Even more reason to hope he passes then :tongue:

Sounds alright so far, I think the optional module for my class is mechanics which I detest - if I'd taken it into the second year I'd rather have done medical applications or relativity :s-smilie: We had two teachers doing three units each, one was marginally better than the other but still crap! That one's still teaching this year but the other's been given the first year classes :biggrin:
Course Applying: Mathematics and Theoretical Physics MSci
AS/A2 subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (AS)
GCSE grades: AAAAAABBB
AS grades: ABBB
A2 predicted: A*AA
Supra-curriculars: Sutton Trust summer school, Attended 2 maths seminars, Maths & Physics tutoring.
Other unis considering/applying to: Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol.
Original post by W. A. Mozart
Course Applying: Mathematics and Theoretical Physics MSci
AS/A2 subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (AS)
GCSE grades: AAAAAABBB
AS grades: ABBB
A2 predicted: A*AA
Supra-curriculars: Sutton Trust summer school, Attended 2 maths seminars, Maths & Physics tutoring.
Other unis considering/applying to: Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol.

Where did you do your summer school? :smile:
Where did you do your summer school? :smile:

University of Nottingham, I probably should have mentioned. :colondollar:
Original post by W. A. Mozart
University of Nottingham, I probably should have mentioned. :colondollar:

Ah nice, wish I applied for the Sutton trust summer school programme as I would've been eligible, but our college didn't tell us about it :frown: I'm also applying to Nottingham, for Physics with German. Good luck with your application!
I'm undecided on whether or not to apply to St Andrews to do History, but I thought I'd say hi anyway!

Does anyone want to sell me the University as a third choice? :tongue:

Course Applying: History (either) with Latin
AS/A2 subjects: English Literature, English Language, History and EPQ
GCSE grades: A*A*A*BBBBCCDE (Missed 4 years off school for major medical issues, had to teach myself GCSEs in Year 11 with little support from school because it was an awful school. Failed subjects didn't even have proper teachers for...)
AS grades: AAB (100% in Paper 1 History, had an awful day for Paper 2)
A2 predicted: A*AA-A*A*A* (Find out officially on Friday)
Supra-curriculars: EPQ, lots of reading, ran a History club for younger students, went to a lecture on Magic and Science at the University of York, and also did a short-course in Latin for fun, of which I got 100% in. I also taught myself A2 Modern History (I do Tudor History for AS/A2) in Year 8 whilst I was hospitalised, and I'm basically just obsessed with History.
Other unis considering/applying to: Cambridge, Durham, York, Manchester, Exeter, Edinburgh...

EDIT: I'm leaning towards applying for St. Andrews!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah nice, wish I applied for the Sutton trust summer school programme as I would've been eligible, but our college didn't tell us about it :frown: I'm also applying to Nottingham, for Physics with German. Good luck with your application!

Thank you! Good luck to you as well.
Hi all :smile:

I have a few questions as well as the usually "can I get in on these grades" lol

First I live in the south, and I don't know how comfortable I am traveling so far away from home, does anyone who goes there faced a similar experience ?

Secondly what's St. Andrews like, I mean how's accommodation and shops there ?
Thirdly, has anyone done or doing geography there, what's it like ?

So now onto the usual "can I get in" part, I'd like to apply to geography as mentioned above ^

GCSEs I got A*,A,3 B's and 3 C's
AS level I got 3 A's (geography, religious studies and business studies) and a B in history + a C in general studies (not that anyone cares about that)
Teachers haven't mentioned any predictions yet but safe to assume same again or maybe an A* in geography not sure.

What do you guys think ? I'm also not entirely sure whether I posted this in the right forum you tell me lol :biggrin:
Thank you for reading
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by CallousCleric
Hi all :smile:

I have a few questions as well as the usually "can I get in on these grades" lol

First I live in the south, and I don't know how comfortable I am traveling so far away from home, does anyone who goes there faced a similar experience ?

Secondly what's St. Andrews like, I mean how's accommodation and shops there ?
Thirdly, has anyone done or doing geography there, what's it like ?

So now onto the usual "can I get in" part, I'd like to apply to geography as mentioned above ^

GCSEs I got A*,A,3 B's and 3 C's
AS level I got 3 A's (geography, religious studies and business studies) and a B in history + a C in general studies (not that anyone cares about that)
Teachers haven't mentioned any predictions yet but safe to assume same again or maybe an A* in geography not sure.

What do you guys think ? I'm also not entirely sure whether I posted this in the right forum you tell me lol :biggrin:
Thank you for reading

Hey, I'm from Kent and have now been studying Physics in St Andrews for two weeks :biggrin:

The train journey took about 7 hours but wasn't too bad (once you're past Newcastle it's pretty scenic).

I'm self-catered in Agnes Blackadder Hall and I can't really fault it at all. There's a great sense of community and plenty of facilities, although sharing a kitchen with eleven other people is a bit strenuous. There are plenty of shops, but they are mostly quite small. I usually buy food from Tesco, Sainsbury's, and Aldi; having a bike really helps.

I don't know much about the Geography course, but as long as you have good predicted grades and write a strong personal statement then you should get an offer.
Course Applying: History
AS Subjects: History, Economics, Geography, English Literature
A2 Subjects: Geography, Economics, History, Welsh Baccalaureate
GCSE grades: 6A*6A
AS grades: AABC
Predicted A2: A*AA + A*
Supra-curriculars: University study days funded by the Sutton Trust, lectures, lots of wider reading, volunteer at a museum, work experience in London by a charity

(Sorry I can't get it to go bold)

I really fancy St Andrews! Does anyone know how hard it is to get in for History?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Course Applying: International Relations/International Relations with Maths
GCSES: 5A*s, 5As and a B.
Courses Taking: Politics, Maths and Computer Science (I'm weird)
AS Grades: 2As
Predicted : A*A*A
Extra-Curriculars: Work every week in MP constituency office. Chair of Local Young Labour Grouping. Been on Newsnight once looking a bit confused. Debating Soc. generic politics stuff.
Other Places: Edinburgh, Cambridge, York, Leeds.

St Andrews seems like such a tight knit place, really excited to apply!
Course Applying: Physics
A2 subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Classical Greek
GCSE grades: 9A* 1A
AS grades: 7A
A2 grades: 5A*
Supra-curriculars: Wider reading, summer school at a university, helping at the lab of a university
Other unis considering/applying to: Cambridge, Durham, ICL, Edinburgh
Reply 39
Name: JosephGCSE: 12 A*s, A^ in Further Maths
AS: A (General Studies)
A2: A* (Maths)
Predicted A2: A*A*A*A* (Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies) + EPQ
Course: MathsOther Choices: Cambridge, Warwick, Durham and Queens' Belfast

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending