The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Palette
Managed to finish STEP I 2007 Q5 :smile:!

One area of maths which I'm particularly weak at is recurrence relations, particularly the types of questions which define un+1u_{n+1} in terms of unu_n and then ask you to define unu_n in terms of nn.

What are some good questions that I can do to practice?

What part of it are you weak at? Making sense of breaking down the recurrence system? If so 15, 17 and 35 of advanced problems in mathematics are good

http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/110501_Advanced_Problems_in_Mathematics.pdf
Reply 561
Original post by ValerieKR
What part of it are you weak at? Making sense of breaking down the recurrence system? If so 15, 17 and 35 of advanced problems in mathematics are good

http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/110501_Advanced_Problems_in_Mathematics.pdf

It's questions like 10b) here
http://madasmaths.com/archive/iygb_practice_papers/c1_practice_papers/c1_t.pdf

which I find difficult. Out of interest, do you prefer the old Siklos booklet or the new one?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette

which I find difficult. Out of interest, do you prefer the old Siklos booklet or the new one?

That question's similar to the loans and savings STEP ones (in the late 90s there's a few of those)

I didn't use them too much when I was studying for STEP because I got tempted to scroll down - I'm working through them both now and haven't really gone through the other one properly yet
Original post by Palette

If I give you the answer to that one the method becomes clear, so i've put it in the spoiler

Spoiler

if you're stuck you can spot most common ones by taking the difference between terms (here the difference was the sequence 1,2,4,8 etc)
(edited 7 years ago)
Examsolutions
Reply 565
Let L be the value of r=11r2\sum^{\infty}_{r=1} \frac{1}{r^2}.

Consider the series S=112+122832+142+S=\frac{1}{1^2}+\frac{1}{2^2}-\frac{8}{3^2}+\frac{1}{4^2}+152862+172\frac{1}{5^2}-\frac{8}{6^2}+\frac{1}{7^2}+182892+...+\frac{1}{8^2}-\frac{8}{9^2}+....

I wrote that SS is equal to r=11r2r=19(3r)2=0\sum^{\infty}_{r=1} \frac{1}{r^2}-\sum^{\infty}_{r=1} \frac{9}{(3r)^2}=0; am I right?
Original post by Palette

Consider the series S=112+122832+142+S=\frac{1}{1^2}+\frac{1}{2^2}-\frac{8}{3^2}+\frac{1}{4^2}+152862+172\frac{1}{5^2}-\frac{8}{6^2}+\frac{1}{7^2}+182892+...+\frac{1}{8^2}-\frac{8}{9^2}+....

I wrote that SS is equal to r=11r2r=19(3r)2=0\sum^{\infty}_{r=1} \frac{1}{r^2}-\sum^{\infty}_{r=1} \frac{9}{(3r)^2}=0; am I right?

Yeah, looks it
Original post by Palette

Your justification is very fishy, you'd need to prove that SS converges absolutely.
Reply 568
Original post by Zacken
Your justification is very fishy, you'd need to prove that SS converges absolutely.

http://madasmaths.com/archive/iygb_practice_papers/sp_practice_papers/sp_t.pdf

I think the question (Q16) assumes convergence of S]S] otherwise the 'limit of the following infinite series' would not be asked. If I am wrong on this, I may try and exploit the direct comparison test when I'm not in a half-asleep state.
Original post by Palette
http://madasmaths.com/archive/iygb_practice_papers/sp_practice_papers/sp_t.pdf

I think the question (Q16) assumes convergence of S]S] otherwise the 'limit of the following infinite series' would not be asked. If I am wrong on this, I may try and exploit the direct comparison test when I'm not in a half-asleep state.

It's not too hard to prove it anyway, just note that S<11k2\displaystyle S < \sum_{\geq 1} \frac{1}{k^2} and sm=1rm1r2\displaystyle s_m = \sum_{1 \leq r \leq m} \frac{1}{r^2} is a bounded monotone sequence or apply Cauchy's Condensation Test to get convergence of 11k2\displaystyle \sum_{\geq 1}\frac{1}{k^2}.
Reply 570
Original post by Zacken
It's not too hard to prove it anyway, just note that S<11k2\displaystyle S < \sum_{\geq 1} \frac{1}{k^2} and sm=1rm1r2\displaystyle s_m = \sum_{1 \leq r \leq m} \frac{1}{r^2} is a bounded monotone sequence or apply Cauchy's Condensation Test to get convergence of 11k2\displaystyle \sum_{\geq 1}\frac{1}{k^2}.

Would the direct comparison test work too?
Original post by Palette
Would the direct comparison test work too?

That is the comparison test?
Reply 572
Original post by Zacken
That is the comparison test?

Oops, I failed to spot that you just wrote it out in a different form to what I learnt it by; my mistake!
Reply 573
Can you be deducted a mark by writing x1dx\int x^{-1} dx as lnx+C\ln x +C instead of lnx+C\ln |x|+ C?
Original post by Palette
Can you be deducted a mark by writing x1dx\int x^{-1} dx as lnx+C\ln x +C instead of lnx+C\ln |x|+ C?

You could but I don't think it matters too much. It could be important for a definite integral though where the argument inside the log is negative because of one of the limits. It's best to put it when it's needed.
Reply 575
Consider I=abf(x)dx,b>aI=\int^b_a f(x) dx, b>a. How can one intuitively explain why baf(x)dx=I\int^a_b f(x) dx=-I?
Original post by Palette
Consider I=abf(x)dx,b>aI=\int^b_a f(x) dx, b>a. How can one intuitively explain why baf(x)dx=I\int^a_b f(x) dx=-I?

I just imagine measuring the area from b to a, which would make the difference between the two negative as you're moving backwards (so to speak), and the area would be multiplied by a negative, hence the negative I.

Feels weird to explain it like this...

I think you'd have to refer back to what integration actually does by considering infinitesimal changes on the rectangles which approximate the area, and the width each rectangle is a negative infinitesimal while height is positive. Hope that makes sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette

We have, by FToC:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}I = \int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x= F(x)\bigg|_{a}^{b} = F(b) - F(a) \end{equation*}

whilst

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int_b^a f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = F(x)\bigg|_b^a = F(a) - F(b) = -(F(b) - F(a)) = -I \end{equation*}

See, definite integration is only defined for bab \geq a so at some, we need to define that flipping the limits gives us the negative of the integral. One justification for this is that we'd like the integral identity:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \int_a^b f(x) \mathrm{d}x + \int_b^c f(x) \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^c f(x) \mathrmm{d}x \end{equation*}

to hold for arbitrary a,b,ca,b,c so taking a=ca=c gives us

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\int_a^b f(x) \mathrm{d}x + \int_b^a f(x) \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^a f(x) \mathrm{d}x = 0 \end{equation*}

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette

Well F(b)>F(a) so F(b)-F(a) is positive and F(a)-F(b) is negative
Original post by metrize
Well F(b)>F(a) so F(b)-F(a) is positive and F(a)-F(b) is negative

Huh? Says who?

Take f(x)=sinxf(x) = \sin x then F(x)=cosxF(x) = -\cos x so π2πf(x)=F(2π)F(π)=11=2<0\int_{\pi}^{2\pi} f(x) = F(2\pi) - F(\pi) = -1 - 1 = -2 < 0. So how is F(b)F(a)F(b) - F(a) positive?

Quick Reply

Latest