The Student Room Group

Got my reading lists! Do i need to read them all?

Hello. This may seem like a really stupid question but i have got my reading list from my course. Am i expected to read them all or just read through generally. I have bought two of them off ebay and got one from the library but not sure whether i will be expected to have read them all. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks
Nikki
Reply 1
I haven't received a reading list and I'm going into second year. I assume if they've given you a reading list, they'd expect you to read it all? I'm not too sure though.
Reply 2
Most of the time, they define the reading list: as ''suggested' or 'set'. If it is 'set' then the books are going to be examined for your specification.

However, if the reading list in undefined (very stupid not to do so!!) then read the ones that interest you the most, or the ones you have bought. They can't expect you to read all the books by the time class starts, so start reading some you'll enjoy and be interested in. then ask you teacher about the reading list.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies. I know I should be reading obviously that's why I've bought a couple of them. My point is 10 books on the same subject. Is it more of a list that you could read some from if you know what I mean? Having never been to uni before I do not know.
Oh and I know they don't create these lists just for 'bants'.
Reply 4
Original post by Locyce
Most of the time, they define the reading list: as ''suggested' or 'set'. If it is 'set' then the books are going to be examined for your specification.

However, if the reading list in undefined (very stupid not to do so!!) then read the ones that interest you the most, or the ones you have bought. They can't expect you to read all the books by the time class starts, so start reading some you'll enjoy and be interested in. then ask you teacher about the reading list.

Thank you very much. It does not state whether it is suggested or set. I will just plod on with the ones I have.
Thanks again
Original post by NikkiNakki
Hello. This may seem like a really stupid question but i have got my reading list from my course. Am i expected to read them all or just read through generally. I have bought two of them off ebay and got one from the library but not sure whether i will be expected to have read them all. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks
Nikki

There is usually some indication on the reading list, ie Core and Other, Key books and the rest, or some indentation in the list etc. If not, and there are about 5-10 books per module, then yes you are supposed to read them all.

If they aren't listed in alphabetical order (usually by Author) then read from the top one down, they will be listed in order of importance/relevant.

Look up speed reading and learn how to read 'academically' so you can get the gist of books and articles quite quickly and you'll learn how to work out what material is more or less relevant and what to focus your time on.
Reply 6
nah u don' need to read them the teachers gave the list to u for no reason
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
There is usually some indication on the reading list, ie Core and Other, Key books and the rest, or some indentation in the list etc. If not, and there are about 5-10 books per module, then yes you are supposed to read them all.

If they aren't listed in alphabetical order (usually by Author) then read from the top one down, they will be listed in order of importance/relevant.

Look up speed reading and learn how to read 'academically' so you can get the gist of books and articles quite quickly and you'll learn how to work out what material is more or less relevant and what to focus your time on.

Oh great, thank you for this I will look into that. Thank you :-)
Consult current students if possible.

For example, from a friend I know who studies Biology at my uni I know that extra reading is a must. For studying Maths, I know that they are unnecessary. This is just for my uni though.. so a student at your course at your uni would be ideal to speak to.
Reply 9
Nikki

Realistically you are expected to read only one or two books from your reading list. But it depends on your subject. Anatomy and physiology textbooks are pretty much the same so it is more about finding the right one for you. But English literature textbooks, especially higher level ones on specific authors or time periods, might cover completely different material so it would be good to consult as many as possible.

I would wait until you started your course and ask your lecturer for advice before buying anything more.
I spoke to my course leader and he said that I shouldn't really bother buying/reading the books until second year and recommended some good websites instead. It's all down to the individual unis. :smile:
Reply 11
Nikki

Very much depends on the course, module or even individual member of staff who compiled the list. It would be worth contacting the person who sent your list, asking their advice.

It went from one extreme to the other on my degree. One lecturer issued a six page, closely-typed reading list for their module at the start of the year. However, we weren't expected to read every single thing on that list. Another lecturer issued a one page reading list every week and expected us to have read at least three items from it by the following week (he gave us pop quizzes to check!).

If you're sent a reading list in advance of the course start date, it would seem to imply that you *might* be expected to start in on it before you begin. However unless it came with that specific instruction, I'd be quite relaxed about it. Anything you can read will give you a head start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending