The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Language - can I go uni?

Hi everyone, Im really worried about this so please could you help me.

I am currently studying th Btec extended diploma in engineering and I am predict D* D* D* including Disntinctions in both maths units.

However my concern is with my GCSE grades.
I have an IGCSE English language at grade C and GCSE maths at grade C

However on UCAS it states that unis requires grade C for GCSE English and maths .

Therefore my question is will I be okay if I apply with the IGCSE English language ?

I want to study the BEng mechanical engineering course at one of the following unis

Aston
university of Birmingham
university of Nottingham
Coventry University
Birmigham City Univeristy
Reply 1
You will be fine. A few years ago IGCSE English Lang wasn't accepted so widely but that's changed now. Many schools only enter students for IGCSE English now.
Reply 2
Original post by Clemm101
You will be fine. A few years ago IGCSE English Lang wasn't accepted so widely but that's changed now. Many schools only enter students for IGCSE English now.

Hi thanks for the reply, so would I be okay for unis that ask for GCSE English? For example UOB ?
Reply 3
An IGCSE English is GCSE English, they are one and the same, so yes.
I sat the IGCSE English Language exam and it was 3 hours long. I took it because I'm a mature student and could not study at a registered centre. If any course work is part of the final mark then you MUST study at a registered centre.

I see no reason at all for anyone to say IGCSE is not a valid equivalent to GCSE. You will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest