The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the South-East the most homophobic part of England?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by lostintrnslation
you care about gay rights yet you don't think gay people should be allowed to adopt children or get married? that's not equality mate

Original post by Moonstruck16
Yrah mate, I'm sure if we type in "why gay people should be allowed to marry/adopt kids" into google, I'm sure many of the results are going to be ranging from somewhat homophobic to dowright offensive.

Not allowing a certaing group of society to marry/adopt is not equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well before we had gay marriage, people who identified as gay were allowed to marry, just not with their gay partners. In that sense, there was equality.

Really, I don't see it as an issue about people being allowed to marry who they want. I see it as a redefinition of marriage, which I don't think is a good idea for society. Of course, our society limits who people are allowed to marry in a number of ways. For instance, a mother can't marry her daughter for instance, no matter how old the daughter is, and no matter how strong their sexual attraction might be. Another example would be that people can't marry their house.
Original post by Pride
Well before we had gay marriage, people who identified as gay were allowed to marry, just not with their gay partners. In that sense, there was equality.

Really, I don't see it as an issue about people being allowed to marry who they want. I see it as a redefinition of marriage, which I don't think is a good idea for society. Of course, our society limits who people are allowed to marry in a number of ways. For instance, a mother can't marry her daughter for instance, no matter how old the daughter is, and no matter how strong their sexual attraction might be. Another example would be that people can't marry their house.

are you really comparing gay marriage to incest...
just admit you're homophobic and move on
Reply 42
Bradford (I don't think I need to explain why).
Reply 43
are you really comparing gay marriage to incest...
just admit you're homophobic and move on

could you at least point out to me why it's not a valid comparison, so that I can rectify my views. Just calling me names is hurtful and to be honest, ironically pretty intolerant.
Reply 44
Original post by JTFrith
My point was that some young people are quite ignorant and think that when you get over the age of 70 that you cannot find love still etc, and no that is not what im saying, and the fact that someone would believe that two adults of the same sex getting married is comparable to an adult and child is disgusting. As a gay man myself, maybe i should just start going round stripping heterosexual people of the right to marry one another? Oh wait, i wouldn't because im not a F***** judgemental moron #zzzzzZZZzzz

But that's not an argument, it's poisoning the well. Why is the comparison not valid? Why do we always have to insult each other? We all have brains. We can reason you know?
Reply 45
Original post by Pride
But that's not an argument, it's poisoning the well. Why is the comparison not valid? Why do we always have to insult each other? We all have brains. We can reason you know?

If you can't see why making a comparison between an incest relationship and a gay couple is wrong, then you won't ever understand, since when did ignorance become a point of view? When you think of marriage between a same-sex couple why on earth would you think of an incestuous relationship? Where is the correlation?

I honestly would not have minded you being against gay marriage if you didn't make that stupid comment.

Just because in the past marriage has been only for heterosexual individuals does not mean that things cannot adapt and change... In the past it was acceptable to marry at say the age of 8 or 9, but as society evolves, and thus humans, times change... you have more than likely inherited your homophobia though so anything i say will be futile and fall on deaf ears.
Original post by Pride
could you at least point out to me why it's not a valid comparison, so that I can rectify my views. Just calling me names is hurtful and to be honest, ironically pretty intolerant.

denying gay people the right to get married and adopt children is also hurtful and intolerant but okay

so one of the main problems with incest is that if two first degree relatives conceive a child together, it is very likely that that child will have a serious birth defect which will dramatically decrease their quality of life. gay couples (unless one or both people are trans which is another discussion) cannot conceive but can prove a loving home to children whose biological parents are unable to look after them. this reduces the number of children spending their entire childhood in care homes and the world is over-populated anyway... not sure an incestuous couple would ever get the right to adopt tbh.

imagine the mother-daughter scenario that you mentioned. there is an obvious inequality of power in that relationship as the mother has been bossing the child around for most of their life, leading to an increase in the likelihood of abuse as the child will still look to follow what their mother says. this isn't the same in age-gap same-sex relationships as the older one in the relationship hasn't conceived you, raised you, and then decided to date you... you can't tell me that a father wanting to **** his daughter isn't disgusting.

same-sex couples can have completely normal and healthy relationships just like your average heterosexual couple. comparing homosexuality to incest is one of many things that can cost lgbt+ people their lives as incest is generally considered wrong for many reasons. you don't hear of many people getting murdered for screwing their sister. you could compare any type of relationship to incest, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to be together.
Reply 47
Original post by JTFrith
If you can't see why making a comparison between an incest relationship and a gay couple is wrong, then you won't ever understand, since when did ignorance become a point of view? When you think of marriage between a same-sex couple why on earth would you think of an incestuous relationship? Where is the correlation?

I honestly would not have minded you being against gay marriage if you didn't make that stupid comment.

I'm not stupid. I just asked you why the comparison is invalid. Your fallacy is called "poisoning the well".

Just because in the past marriage has been only for heterosexual individuals does not mean that things cannot adapt and change... In the past it was acceptable to marry at say the age of 8 or 9, but as society evolves, and thus humans, times change... you have more than likely inherited your homophobia though so anything i say will be futile and fall on deaf ears.

and I also look forward to the time when our society "adapts" and "changes" for the better, so that it will finally allow a mother and daughter to marry, as long as they are consenting adults! I look forward to the day... All who disagree with me are incestophobes!

I hope I've made my point.
Reply 48
Original post by Pride
I'm not stupid. I just asked you why the comparison is invalid. Your fallacy is called "poisoning the well".

and I also look forward to the time when our society "adapts" and "changes" for the better, so that it will finally allow a mother and daughter to marry, as long as they are consenting adults! I look forward to the day... All who disagree with me are incestophobes!

I hope I've made my point.

Im not poisoning the well, maybe my reasoning is a little hazy due to my emotional connection with the topic, but you haven't exactly presented any points to why you disagree with same sex marriage? You are homophobic because you haven't given any reasoning at all, but talked about incest instead?.... Can you remember the day you woke up and realised you were straight? Nope? Just born that way i presume? Oh but somebody who is born gay, or born with dark skin, or born with a disability, nope they should not have the same rights, because what? I think you'll find that you are being ignorant by not being informed on the matter. Remove yourself from said conversation, imbecile.
Reply 49
denying gay people the right to get married and adopt children is also hurtful and intolerant but okay

I was showing you your hypocrisy.

so one of the main problems with incest is that if two first degree relatives conceive a child together, it is very likely that that child will have a serious birth defect which will dramatically decrease their quality of life.

That's why I specified two homosexual adults, who just so happen to be mother and daughter...

gay couples (unless one or both people are trans which is another discussion) cannot conceive but can prove a loving home to children whose biological parents are unable to look after them. this reduces the number of children spending their entire childhood in care homes and the world is over-populated anyway... not sure an incestuous couple would ever get the right to adopt tbh.

I'm trying to demonstrate that the family unit should be preserved. I think this discussion highlights the mess we're in, because we've dragged the system far beyond what it was designed for.

imagine the mother-daughter scenario that you mentioned. there is an obvious inequality of power in that relationship as the mother has been bossing the child around for most of their life, leading to an increase in the likelihood of abuse as the child will still look to follow what their mother says. this isn't the same in age-gap same-sex relationships as the older one in the relationship hasn't conceived you, raised you, and then decided to date you... you can't tell me that a father wanting to **** his daughter isn't disgusting.

same-sex couples can have completely normal and healthy relationships just like your average heterosexual couple. comparing homosexuality to incest is one of many things that can cost lgbt+ people their lives as incest is generally considered wrong for many reasons. you don't hear of many people getting murdered for screwing their sister. you could compare any type of relationship to incest, it doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to be together.

So the only issue is that power will not be shared equally between a mother and daughter? Is power shared equally between all heterosexual and homosexual, non-related couples? Does the law get in the way of people with a 40-year age gap getting married?

Look, I could come up with more examples. Why are we not allowed to have four-way marriages? Why aren't we allowed to marry inanimate objects? Why aren't we allowed to marry whatever and whoever we want? Marriage is whatever we want it to mean, right? It's not hurting anyone, is it?
Reply 50
Original post by JTFrith
Im not poisoning the well, maybe my reasoning is a little hazy due to my emotional connection with the topic, but you haven't exactly presented any points to why you disagree with same sex marriage? You are homophobic because you haven't given any reasoning at all, but talked about incest instead?.... Can you remember the day you woke up and realised you were straight? Nope? Just born that way i presume? Oh but somebody who is born gay, or born with dark skin, or born with a disability, nope they should not have the same rights, because what? I think you'll find that you are being ignorant by not being informed on the matter. Remove yourself from said conversation, imbecile.

It's amazing that despite my sarcastic post, you still don't see your hypocrisy. Let me reply to you by editing a quote from you:

"You are homophobic incestophobic because you haven't given any reasoning at all, but talked about incest homosexuality instead..."
Reply 51
Original post by Pride
It's amazing that despite my sarcastic post, you still don't see your hypocrisy. Let me reply to you by editing a quote from you:

"You are homophobic incestophobic because you haven't given any reasoning at all, but talked about incest homosexuality instead..."

Sorry, did you read the title of the thread? Or did the word 'homophobic' just resonate with yourself?

Your sarcasm is not evident when your analogy is so disturbing, maybe before a post you can be clear on whether you are being sadistic or just having a laf and some top bantZZzz
Original post by Pride

Oh please, you must know the divorce rate for heterosexual marriage. Marriage is just a legal contract and frankly many people jump into it without thinking. In modern society (not religious) there is nothing sacred about it.

Oh good. Gay people were allowed to marry except not to other gay people. Don't try to be funny.

Incest is not homosexuality (I'm not against incest necessarily). Marrying a house is not homosexuality and is not the same as marrying a person and I'm pretty sure I heard a story somewhere in the world about someone doing it anyway.

I don't know if you're a homophobe but your reasoning definitely makes you sound clueless/not very bright.*
(edited 7 years ago)

so one of the main problems with incest is that if two first degree relatives conceive a child together, it is very likely that that child will have a serious birth defect which will dramatically decrease their quality of life. gay couples (unless one or both people are trans which is another discussion) cannot conceive but can prove a loving home to children whose biological parents are unable to look after them. this reduces the number of children spending their entire childhood in care homes and the world is over-populated anyway... not sure an incestuous couple would ever get the right to adopt tbh.

Whilst I think we're on the same side, I'd just like to point out that incest doesn't actually increase the chance of a child with a genetic abnormality by that much. The problems mainly start to occur when you get multiple generations of inbreeding.
Could we all just remember that we are in 2016 and whilst many would clearly like to be back in the 1800s, life and society have changed for a reason and they aren't going to change back whilst we still are allowed freedom to live as who we are, and not as how others want us to be.
Reply 55
^ THIS.
Original post by Pride
I was showing you your hypocrisy.

That's why I specified two homosexual adults, who just so happen to be mother and daughter...

I'm trying to demonstrate that the family unit should be preserved. I think this discussion highlights the mess we're in, because we've dragged the system far beyond what it was designed for.

So the only issue is that power will not be shared equally between a mother and daughter? Is power shared equally between all heterosexual and homosexual, non-related couples? Does the law get in the way of people with a 40-year age gap getting married?

Look, I could come up with more examples. Why are we not allowed to have four-way marriages? Why aren't we allowed to marry inanimate objects? Why aren't we allowed to marry whatever and whoever we want? Marriage is whatever we want it to mean, right? It's not hurting anyone, is it?

'my hypocrisy' ah yes because calling someone a homophobe is exactly the same as denying someone their fundamental human rights lol.

about preserving the family unit you were on about - do you think divorce should be banned then? or remarrying? because they both go beyond the 'traditional' family image.

of course there are many more problems with incest than the power imbalance, think about how long a parent could have been attracted to their child for - possibly putting said child in danger at a young age when they cannot consent. people with a 40 year old age gap can get married - because they can be equals in a relationship. they cannot be equal if one person in the relationship has authority over another - like parent-child and student-teacher relationships.

marrying an inanimate object would be pointless as some main reasons for getting married include being able to inherit what they have when they die, and always being able to be their next of kin. you can't do that with an inanimate object. the situation would be similar for four-way marriages, but there are plenty of polyamorous people out there...
Obviously not. Blue collar Whites and Muslims are going to be far more homophobic as a general rule than well educated affluent professionals.
I wouldn't have said (as someone who lives in Kent) I've seen much in the way of homophobia (but then I'm not gay so, probably wouldn't anyway).

You could make various arguments for every bit of England. Easiest way to figure it out would be to look up the rate of hate crimes targetting gay people for each region of the country.
Reply 59
Original post by Moonstruck16
Oh please, you must know the divorce rate for heterosexual marriage. Marriage is just a legal contract and frankly many people jump into it without thinking. In modern society (not religious) there is nothing sacred about it.

Oh good. Gay people were allowed to marry except not to other gay people. Don't try to be funny.

Incest is not homosexuality (I'm not against incest necessarily). Marrying a house is not homosexuality and is not the same as marrying a person and I'm pretty sure I heard a story somewhere in the world about someone doing it anyway.

I don't know if you're a homophobe but your reasoning definitely makes you sound clueless/not very bright.*

Again, all you've done is label me as a homophobe, rather than approach and refute what I actually said. I'm not clueless - yet another ad hominem remark. All I've done is compared a mother and daughter of consenting age to a homosexual couple, to demonstrate your double standards. Instead of demonstrating why the comparison isn't valid, you say I'm not very bright. I can tell you don't often have discussions with people who disagree with you on this issue. Maybe you should.

Latest

Trending

Trending