The Student Room Group

information for private gcse

Hello I'm new in this website so sorry if I am in the wrong forum.

I want just to know how we can do a gcse privately ,because I'm from France and as I want to continue my study in london ,I started Gcse (in one years) which is obligatory for go to A level but when I asked to my college if I can do french gcse this year (with my other 5 gcse's) they said that they don't teach french and advised me to do french Gcse as a private candidate, so I went to a exam center and they asked me a CODE ?!!

So that's the problem what kind of code?
(they explained me what code I need but I don't understand everything they said that I need to go to my exam board website (edexcel) and I will find a code but I cannot find it ! )

Can you help me please ?
thank you in advance
I would like to express my gratitude for all your help in this matter
Reply 1
Original post by aminanmoy
Hello I'm new in this website so sorry if I am in the wrong forum.

I want just to know how we can do a gcse privately ,because I'm from France and as I want to continue my study in london ,I started Gcse (in one years) which is obligatory for go to A level but when I asked to my college if I can do french gcse this year (with my other 5 gcse's) they said that they don't teach french and advised me to do french Gcse as a private candidate, so I went to a exam center and they asked me a CODE ?!!

So that's the problem what kind of code?
(they explained me what code I need but I don't understand everything they said that I need to go to my exam board website (edexcel) and I will find a code but I cannot find it ! )

Can you help me please ?
thank you in advance
I would like to express my gratitude for all your help in this matter

anyone can't help me ?
Hi there! :smile:

Exams have a specification code: I think the one for Edexcel GCSE French is 2FR01 .

See the specification (all the details) here:

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/french-2009.html

I hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by The Learn Ranger

Exams have a specification code: I think the one for Edexcel GCSE French is 2FR01 .

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/french-2009.html

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much just last question in the website on can see that there is :

GCSE (Short Course) in French: Spoken Language (3FR0S)
GCSE (Short Course) in French: Written Language (3FR0W)
So is it a whole course ?
Because I need just to do the french gcse exam
Short courses are not the full GCSE.

I think I gave you the code for the full GCSE course above. It's 2FR01.
Reply 5
Original post by The Learn Ranger

I hope this helps!

I think that the website you gave is for 2012 so do you think that this below is the good website for 2016 (http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/demo/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/french-2016.html
Reply 6
Be aware that Edexcel French GCSE 2FR01 includes coursework and not just exams. There are two exams - Listening and Reading and two pieces of coursework Speaking and Writing. Many centres won't accept external candidates for this reason.
Reply 7
Original post by Clemm101
Be aware that Edexcel French GCSE 2FR01 includes coursework and not just exams. There are two exams - Listening and Reading and two pieces of coursework Speaking and Writing. Many centres won't accept external candidates for this reason.

Is there a code which allow to do just exam not course ?
If not how much edexcel French GCSE 2FR01 will cost ( including coursework and exam)?!
Reply 8
I think you would need to do an IGCSE to avoid coursework. As for the cost of Edexcel French, the actual cost of entry for the exam is very cheap, around £30, but you may have to sign up for a whole course in order to get the coursework done so it will be much more expensive.
Reply 9
I think you would need to do an IGCSE to avoid coursework. As for the cost of Edexcel French, the actual cost of entry for the exam is very cheap, around £30, but you may have to sign up for a whole course in order to get the coursework done so it will be much more expensive.

So what can I do now for just pass my french exam without full course(I already can write and speak french fluently), just for add my french gcse at the end with my other 5 gcse
Reply 10

So what can I do now for just pass my french exam without full course ?
(I already can write and speak french fluently), just for add my french gcse at the end with my other 5 gcse
Edexcel do a French IGCSE (4FR0). This is 100 % exam based. You would need to check with your college that they will accept an IGCSE and then find a centre which offers it to external candidates.
Reply 12
I think that the website you gave is for 2012 so do you think that this below is the good website for 2016 (http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/demo/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/french-2016.html
Reply 13
Edexcel do a French IGCSE (4FR0). This is 100 % exam based. You would need to check with your college that they will accept an IGCSE and then find a centre which offers it to external candidates.

I have already found my exam center cherry hill tuiton which can the exam
And how did you find the "French IGCSE (4FR0)" ?
Reply 15
[QUOTE="Clemm101;67499390"]http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/demo/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-french-2011.html[/QUOTE
There is written igcse 2011 so can I give this code to my exam centre ?
For pass just the exam
Yes. This course was introduced in 2011 and is still current. Give your exam centre the code 4FR0.

You will be entered for 3 papers - 4FR0/01 (listening), 4FR0/02 (reading and writing) and 4FR0/03 (speaking).
If you click on the specifications on the linked page it will give you an idea of the exam content.

Quick Reply

Latest