The Student Room Group

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels??

Scroll to see replies

Not a current A level student but I completed A levels in Maths and Chemistry as well as some units in Biology and Physics in 2013 when I was 29. I did the Physics and Biology units and AS level Maths through a combination of distance learning and self teaching. Then went to college for a year to complete my A2 Maths and did an intensive Chemistry A level.Now I'm going into my final year of a Food Science degree.
Original post by PtGF
I'm a bit torn between doing Maths or doing Physics again. Maths would be a new A-Level for me, Physics would be something I've done already but performed poorly in, although I'm actually interested in a lot of the stuff in physics.

I didn't do a good job of revision when I did my A-Levels at school, I think having a little more maturity now I could actually do a proper job of them :redface:

Those subjects are very intensive. Physics you'll probably be able to cope with easier as you've probably already covered a lot of the content whereas Maths you will need to ease yourself into it as soon as possible! It's probably a good idea to spend a week or two going through GCSE Higher Maths content first (that's what I did anyway).

Original post by zaramillie
This is really good to hear, thank you for posting. I am 27, did good at GCSE and left school to teach horse riding. Then I went to college when I was 21 I think and did appalling- my brain had frazzled but the social life was ace fun. Left with C D E and worked abroad to get away. Came back, now in the middle of 3 A level studies (self teaching) of Maths, bio and chem. I've just finished the biology edexcel exams yesterday. For those asking- each year-you can study biology with edexcel at home and do your own experiments, write them up and this is the coursework of which marks go towards the final grade- you don't do practical exams. I was really glad when I heard this. I'll start the chem this year and finish the maths. I too had 2 children very close together, got married new house etc. at the beginning of the studies and I'm a full time mum. I have to say it was/ is very hard and you need a lot of determination but it teaches you to manage your time doesn't it! Also helps slow down the effects of baby brain!

Well done to you and others here, I no longer feel alone with the feeling of trying to better yourself when you are older with life going on. I hope to have 3 a levels under my belt in 2 years time for further education (so I'll be in my 30's!) when kids are at school (depending on results!).If I'm lucky and get 3xA's I will def, consider vet or met school- can't decide yet because I love the countryside (grew up with horses and animals like someone else here).

Good luck everyone, peace out

This is very inspirational! It's so nice to see someone so motivated to study towards A-levels even with the amount of responsibilities you have with your kids. It just goes to show that age is just a number when it comes to studying!! I wish you the best of luck!

Original post by TeddyBear86
I am 30, I am doing a-levels in English language and literature combined and I am doing Psychology.

I am also doing an Open university degree in Health and Social Care

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

Wow, you have definitely shown how keen you are to study with the amount of courses you are studying towards!! Keep up the good work! Speaking of which, are you currently working whilst studying?

Original post by angelseyes
Hi there did you start a delievery job because it was an easier job to work around your studies rather than yoir previous job?

Yeah the stress at my other job was really affecting my study time outside of work so I opted in for a simpler job :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JoPearson89
Hi all. Nice to hear from others in similar situations. My story:

I did OK the first time around at A-Level, getting AAB, plus a B at AS-Level.

I then went on to Uni at East Anglia and was getting good grades (I was on course for a 1:1), but sadly had to drop out in my final year due to ill mental health.

Looking back and remembering how screwed up I was between of 15-24, I'm amazed I did as well as I did. I'm lucky to be alive.

Three years on, I'm fully recovered and symptom-free. Now that I've got this amazing new thing called "confidence" I want to go back into education and pursue my ideal career as an A.I. Programmer. I made this decision a wee bit late in the applications process for the year, but what can you do.

My background to date has a bit of an Arts/Humanities bent (English Literature, History, Government & Politics, Geography, American Literature, Creative Writing). By contrast almost all Artificial Intelligence courses require between an A*-B in Mathematics, and most would like you to have a A or B in Science too (preferably Physics or Chemistry), oh and they prefer A*AA to AAB students. So I'm a stretch on three counts for immediate entry. Plus there's the problem that I'll be flagged as a drop-out, and also STEM departments don't seem to like mature students as much (presumably because they worry that their skills have atrophied?). So I have basically no chance of getting in on the ground floor. Which is OK. If I'm not ready for that, I'm not ready.

So I instead applied for a few maths/science Foundation Years, but again it's late in the day and the drop-out strike against my name seems likely to tip the balance against me.

So my fallback position would be to do A-Levels Maths and Physics. Obviously there are lots of options to achieve this via long-distance learning. But my preference would be to do an intensive 1-year full-time course. The problem is finding a college that a) takes mature students, b) teaches physics, c) does intensive A-Levels, and d) is in the Greater London area.

So far, no luck. But still looking!

Well done for getting back on track! Mental health can definitely take its toll if left untreated or not managed! So glad you've found your way out of the other end of the tunnel and are willing to study again. Is there any chance of you finishing your degree back at East Anglia University? As for the A-levels, Maths is definitely easier to self-teach than Physics (but that doesn't mean it's an easier subject). Don't let the fact that you've dropped out of university in the past affect a new application for universities. Just explain how life managed to get in the way (like most of us mature students). May I ask how old you are now?
Reply 83
Hi all I'm 38 and about to start my 3rd year of a 4 year Masters degree in Physics at Queens University in Belfast. Didnt do A Levels but did a Extended Diploma in Motor vehicle mechanics.
(edited 7 years ago)
May I ask how old you are now?

I've just turned 27. So still quite young really.

Original post by Philip-flop
Anyone have advice for me?...
I'm 23 years old just finished studying towards AS-level Maths and Biology with the hope to finish A2 and possibly apply for a STEM subject related degree at University. I have a perfect girlfriend but am very anxious of what life has to throw at me due to my current situation. My partner is already earning a decent salary (she has just finished her Optometry pre-registration year and is now earning £38k a year at an Opticians chain-store). She has just bought a brand new car and is hoping to put a deposit down on her first house within the next 2 years. I feel like I'm so far behind in life in comparison to her due to going back to study. Is it possible to carry on making our relationship work or should I do the decent thing and let her go so she can start settling down with someone who currently has the same outlook on life? :frown:

I sent you a message.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I know this is a bit off-topic but have any of you decided to do A/AS levels after undertaking an Apprenticeship?
Original post by gibbyni
Hi all I'm 38 and about to start my 3rd year of a 4 year Masters degree in Physics at Queens University in Belfast. Didnt do A Levels but did a Extended Diploma in Motor vehicle mechanics.

That's incredible! Well done to you! People like you give me the motivation to go all the way and study at university as a mature student :smile:

Original post by JoPearson89
I've just turned 27. So still quite young really.

I sent you a message.

Yes!! 27 is still very young!!!

Oh really, I don't think I received your personal message :frown:
Edit: Wait... I have just found your message :smile: :smile:

Original post by brainzistheword
Hi, I know this is a bit off-topic but have any of you decided to do A/AS levels after undertaking an Apprenticeship?

Yes I was working as an Accounts apprentice before I decided to pick up 2 A-levels :smile:
How come anyway?
Yes I was working as an Accounts apprentice before I decided to pick up 2 A-levels :smile:
How come anyway?

Well, I'm not exactly a mature student (only just done GCSE) but I want to plan ahead and I'm currently at a cross-roads. I have the chance of an Apprenticeship or college and I get differing advice from everyone so I was considering self-teaching A-levels whilst in the Apprenticeship or perhaps trying to pick them up after I've finished the Apprenticeship (4 years long).

If you've any advice I'd love to hear it :smile:
I went completely the wrong way with Economics, it's like I took a wrong turn early in my life and I've been paying the price ever since. I went into Environmental Science, learned that it means a lot of Earth Sciences and Geology in a Foundation Year but I was good at the science/maths modules, so I tried to move to a Nuclear Engineering course with Sustainable Energy as the common theme.

The Universities couldn't do it. Access Courses were a "some Universities accept it, others won't because not science/math-y enough" thing so I figured A-levels were necessary. Physics/Maths/Chemistry intensives, going from CDD in Economics, Mathematics, and Critical Thinking to what I predict myself to be AAB in Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.

In hindsight, had I known that I was able to teach myself a lot of math modules and that I'd struggle with A2 chemistry, I'd have done Maths/Further Maths/Physics and aimed for A*AA-A*A*A*. I feel annoyed I messed up a C4 paper, blew my chances of an A* out of the water.

EDIT - I'm twenty two, I'm the youngest of the mature students but oldest of the normal students.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rather_Cynical
I went completely the wrong way with Economics, it's like I took a wrong turn early in my life and I've been paying the price ever since. I went into Environmental Science, learned that it means a lot of Earth Sciences and Geology in a Foundation Year but I was good at the science/maths modules, so I tried to move to a Nuclear Engineering course with Sustainable Energy as the common theme.

The Universities couldn't do it. Access Courses were a "some Universities accept it, others won't because not science/math-y enough" thing so I figured A-levels were necessary. Physics/Maths/Chemistry intensives, going from CDD in Economics, Mathematics, and Critical Thinking to what I predict myself to be AAB in Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.

In hindsight, had I known that I was able to teach myself a lot of math modules and that I'd struggle with A2 chemistry, I'd have done Maths/Further Maths/Physics and aimed for A*AA-A*A*A*. I feel annoyed I messed up a C4 paper, blew my chances of an A* out of the water.

EDIT - I'm twenty two, I'm the youngest of the mature students but oldest of the normal students.

Sorry, I'm a little confused by what you said :frown:

"Went the wrong way with Economics"? So you realised you wanted to do Science subjects at A-level instead of Economics and Critical thinking? And you recently resat A-level Maths as well as picking up A-level Chemistry and Physics but found Chemistry difficult so you wish you had picked up Further Maths instead?

Can I ask where you got your predicted grades from for Maths, Chemistry and Physics?

As for the C4 Maths paper.. I wouldn't worry too much you can still get a decent grade for the whole A-level if you've picked up marks in the other papers!

Just wait for results day to see what grades you have achieved. Then you could always pick up Further Maths this academic year if you've done badly in Chemistry!
(edited 7 years ago)
I completed my first A-levels with bad grades (CDD), but still had University places lined up. I wasn't really going anywhere with the course, I repeated the year and it wasn't working out so I had to withdraw in my second year. I partially blame bad mental health, bad transitioning, and bad choice of course.

I don't like the overall course as much as certain specific things in AS Economics, I especially don't like anything to do with Fiscal Policy and Economics of Businesses.

I was always good at science as a kid. I flopped my first year of A-levels doing science courses so I lost the drive I originally had at the time and went the Social Sciences route with Economics A-level/degree, but since leaving Economics I regained that drive.

I was enrolled into a Foundation Year for Environmental Science, which had Chemistry and Physics modules, which I excelled at - that's what gave me the confidence that I needed to succeed at A-level Chemistry/Physics/Maths.

Predicted grades from my teachers were AAA, but the teachers knew that was exaggerated a bit on UCAS so the real predicted grades were closer to AAB, with Chemistry being my weakest subject (A2s/organics were not fun to learn).

I've completed enough past papers to have a good idea of where I've definitely picked up some marks and where I've lost some marks, and rough grade boundaries to guess. If I lose about 25 marks average on both Chemistry A2 papers, that's about a low B.

I don't feel it's very satisfying to have an A in maths, it's quite awful for someone who's supposed to excel and be at the top of the class.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 91
Those subjects are very intensive. Physics you'll probably be able to cope with easier as you've probably already covered a lot of the content whereas Maths you will need to ease yourself into it as soon as possible! It's probably a good idea to spend a week or two going through GCSE Higher Maths content first (that's what I did anyway).

I've already dug out my old higher tier revision book, good thing I kept that stuff around. Think I'll look for some AS physics revision guides too and see what I'd be more comfortable doing, leaning towards doing my Physics again.
Anyone have advice for me?...
I'm 23 years old just finished studying towards AS-level Maths and Biology with the hope to finish A2 and possibly apply for a STEM subject related degree at University. I have a perfect girlfriend but am very anxious of what life has to throw at me due to my current situation. My partner is already earning a decent salary (she has just finished her Optometry pre-registration year and is now earning £38k a year at an Opticians chain-store). She has just bought a brand new car and is hoping to put a deposit down on her first house within the next 2 years. I feel like I'm so far behind in life in comparison to her due to going back to study. Is it possible to carry on making our relationship work or should I do the decent thing and let her go so she can start settling down with someone who currently has the same outlook on life? :frown:

Hi, I know how you feel because sometimes I feel insignificant to my OH. He works and pays all the bills while I am raising our 2 young children and making the home. Its quite old fashioned and I'm lucky I don't have to give our children to strangers while im at work. I am studying at home so I can work full time when the children go to school in a couple of years. It works for us. So decide whether you love each other and are committed to sharing a life together, and your OH will hopefully understand and support your studies and work goals when you set them. You will be fine if you have a plan and communicate honestly.
Hello,
Since I am from Germany, also classified as a mature student (29 years old), I attend an A-Level Mathematics course via distance learning.

I will either attend other A-level courses later that year (owing to revised syllabuses resp. syllabi) or go to a "real" college in the UK, then I would like to study there anyway.

Best wishes
Original post by zaramillie
Hi, I know how you feel because sometimes I feel insignificant to my OH. He works and pays all the bills while I am raising our 2 young children and making the home. Its quite old fashioned and I'm lucky I don't have to give our children to strangers while im at work. I am studying at home so I can work full time when the children go to school in a couple of years. It works for us. So decide whether you love each other and are committed to sharing a life together, and your OH will hopefully understand and support your studies and work goals when you set them. You will be fine if you have a plan and communicate honestly.

I think it's just where I'm old fashioned into believing that the male person of the relationship is the one who financially supports the other half the most. I don't know why it bothers me so much.

Original post by JustStudying
Hello,
Since I am from Germany, also classified as a mature student (29 years old), I attend an A-Level Mathematics course via distance learning.

I will either attend other A-level courses later that year (owing to revised syllabuses resp. syllabi) or go to a "real" college in the UK, then I would like to study there anyway.

Best wishes

That's fantastic!! I self-taught AS-level Maths this year too (but without a distance learning provider!!). What other subjects are you considering to pick up for A-levels?
Reply 95
Just wondering -

for those doing science-based A-levels via self-study (e.g Biology or Chemistry), are practicals essential?

I want to self-study Chemistry in one-year. I did have a place at a college to do both AS and A2 (Head of Chemistry agreed) from June, but then management said 'no' last Wednesday. So, now I'm stuck - trying to find somewhere to do the practicals looks impossible. If I didn't do them - would I not get the A-level or would it just come-up I haven't done them?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by Jamiefromipswich
I'm in a similar position. I'm currently doing GCSE's from home and I plan on doing an access course after as I don't have any A levels. Are you doing your A levels through an online provider? Have you not thought about an access course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking into doing GCSEs from home. How are you going about it? I've considered paying for the courses and hiring a tutor.
How many of you Mature Students will be studying A-levels this academic year then? If so, what subjects?
How many of you Mature Students will be studying A-levels this academic year then? If so, what subjects?

I;'d like to do Maths and Further Maths, but I'd like to do sciences as well, although I am really stuck with the practicals and don't know of anywhere I can do them or a time frame in which I can do them (due to work commitments).

And I have nowhere to sit any exams as of yet.
Original post by brainzistheword
I;'d like to do Maths and Further Maths, but I'd like to do sciences as well, although I am really stuck with the practicals and don't know of anywhere I can do them or a time frame in which I can do them (due to work commitments).

And I have nowhere to sit any exams as of yet.

Yes I found it difficult to find a centre to do the practicals for A-level Biology but luckily the new linear A-level for Biology doesn't require you to actually do the experiments as it won't affect your overall grade!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending