The Student Room Group

university credits

If first year at university does not count. why do we need 360 credits to be awarded a degree ? how is first year at university process by the exam board ?
They count but as pass/fail rather than graded, so first year still counts as 120 credits but it doesn't affect your grade.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
They count but as pass/fail rather than graded, so first year still counts as 120 credits but it doesn't affect your grade.

thanks for the reply. so in my final year before my degree is awarded is the exam board going to look at my first year grades or are they just going to look at my second and third year ? in other words how is a degree awarded ?
Original post by Lippo1995
thanks for the reply. so in my final year before my degree is awarded is the exam board going to look at my first year grades or are they just going to look at my second and third year ? in other words how is a degree awarded ?

Your degree is awarded based on you having 360/480 credits, i.e. you have to pass 360/480 credits to be awarded an honours degree. If you pass less than 360 but more than 300 you will be awarded a bachelor's degree without honours. If you get honours then you will be awarded a grade as well, this will be based upon your second and third year grade (and probably your fourth too seeing as you're posting this in an engineering forum).
Reply 4
Your degree is awarded based on you having 360/480 credits, i.e. you have to pass 360/480 credits to be awarded an honours degree. If you pass less than 360 but more than 300 you will be awarded a bachelor's degree without honours. If you get honours then you will be awarded a grade as well, this will be based upon your second and third year grade (and probably your fourth too seeing as you're posting this in an engineering forum).

you have been really helpful and thank you for your time.I am going to study mechanical engineering at manchester university.
so basically degree with honours is based on your second and third year not first year right ?
you have been really helpful and thank you for your time.I am going to study mechanical engineering at manchester university.
so basically degree with honours is based on your second and third year not first year right ?

Your grade is based upon your second and third year, yes, and likely your fourth too as doing the four year masters course is the standard route in engineering.
Reply 6

Good evening thanks for making me understand. I thought in my final year the university will check my grades from first year before awarding my degree. Now I understand they only check first and second I only need to pass first year to get me to second. We need more people like you on here.
Reply 7
Your grade is based upon your second and third year, yes, and likely your fourth too as doing the four year masters course is the standard route in engineering.

Good morning thanks for making me understand. I thought in my final year the university will check my grades from first year before awarding my degree. Now I understand they only check first and second I only need to pass first year to get me to second. We need more people like you on here.
Reply 8
Original post by allen144
Good evening thanks for making me understand. I thought in my final year the university will check my grades from first year before awarding my degree. Now I understand they only check first and second I only need to pass first year to get me to second. We need more people like you on here.

Good morning thanks for making me understand. I thought in my final year the university will check my grades from first year before awarding my degree. Now I understand they only check first and second I only need to pass first year to get me to second. We need more people like you on here.

? are you the same person?!

First year grades may not count towards the final degree, but they still need to be declared.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/mortarboard/2012/may/21/first-year-university
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
? are you the same person?!

First year grades may not count towards the final degree, but they still need to be declared.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/mortarboard/2012/may/21/first-year-university

yes i am the same person. thanks for answering my question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending