The Student Room Group

C3 Rational Expression question

Hi can someone explain how to do this please?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473517657.868449.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
2x+5x+3=A(x+3)x+3+Bx+3\frac{2x +5}{x+3} = \frac{A(x+3)}{x+3} + \frac{B}{x+3}

Hope that helps, @jessyjellytot14
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Hi can someone explain how to do this please?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473517657.868449.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can multiply both sides of the identity by (x+3) then proceed to expand and compare coefficients in terms of A and B because they must be the same on both sides of the identity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
You can multiply both sides of the identity by (x+3) then proceed to expand and compare coefficients in terms of A and B because they must be the same on both sides of the identity.

Okay I tried multiplying each side by (x+3) but i'm not sure if you meant like this...
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473519891.374618.jpg

When I compare the coefficients I just end up with 2x+5/x+3 again or something that is not on the mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay I tried multiplying each side by (x+3) but i'm not sure if you meant like this...
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1473519891.374618.jpg

When I compare the coefficients I just end up with 2x+5/x+3 again or something that is not on the mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile

You multiplied the denominator by (x+3), no need to do that. Just multiply both sides of the identity by the denominator of the LHS so you can lose it.
Original post by RDKGames
You multiplied the denominator by (x+3), no need to do that. Just multiply both sides of the identity by the denominator of the LHS so you can lose it.

Okay thanks- Once you have the quotient and remainder, can you write it in the form: Quotient + Remainder/ x+3 ?
Okay thanks- Once you have the quotient and remainder, can you write it in the form: Quotient + Remainder/ x+3 ?

When you find your values of A and B then yeah, just plug them into identity.

Quick Reply

Latest