The Student Room Group

Will doing 3AS levels disadvantage me??

I really want to get into Cambridge to do Human, Social and Political Science so would I be at a big disadvantage doing three? Also would I be better off staying at my currant school and doing Biology, Math, F-Math and PERHAPS Geography (through Welsh language) or going to another school next to me and doing Math, Biology and sociology??
Original post by Baratheon99
I really want to get into Cambridge to do Human, Social and Political Science so would I be at a big disadvantage doing three? Also would I be better off staying at my currant school and doing Biology, Math, F-Math and PERHAPS Geography (through Welsh language) or going to another school next to me and doing Math, Biology and sociology??

Yes and no. With Cambridge and Oxford the more academic the better, they care about many aspects of your application but this is where more weight is generally given. So yes, the more the better but then again it's better to do subjects directly related to your course and the latter seems like a better choice. Why not take FM to AS at the second school ?
My school is only allowing us to go three alevels we aren't doing As exams though
Reply 3
Original post by X_alwayssmiley
Yes and no. With Cambridge and Oxford the more academic the better, they care about many aspects of your application but this is where more weight is generally given. So yes, the more the better but then again it's better to do subjects directly related to your course and the latter seems like a better choice. Why not take FM to AS at the second school ?

Thanks for the quick reply! If I could do FM in the other school it would be perfect😡 But it clashes all lessons with Biology and I'd be quite nervous/scared to try and self study it. What do you think would be best?
If you want Cambridge go with 4, but 3 will benefit your academic performance and help you cope a lot easier
Reply 5
Original post by ForeverFrench
My school is only allowing us to go three alevels we aren't doing As exams though

Ahh. My currant school is telling us to only do three AS but the other is telling me to do four so I'm really confused😂😂 Are you happy doing just three or are you nervous about Unis wanting that extra from the AS?
Reply 6
Original post by Dante991
If you want Cambridge go with 4, but 3 will benefit your academic performance and help you cope a lot easier

Thanks for the advice! Cambridge has my dream degree so that's why I'm so stressed😂😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Ahh. My currant school is telling us to only do three AS but the other is telling me to do four so I'm really confused😂😂 Are you happy doing just three or are you nervous about Unis wanting that extra from the AS?

Not nervous my school got 4 into Oxford last year. Like I said I'm not doing an As exams in year12 all my exams will be in year13 the new alevels have more content and demand more so academically it's easier to balance the subjects and workload and achieve better. Stick with 3 better to get 3A's/A*'s then 4 B's because you couldn't handle the workload. Listen to your school they know what there doing
Thanks for the advice! Cambridge has my dream degree so that's why I'm so stressed😂😂

Take a look at the official Cambridge 2017 applicants thread. These are people who have just completed Year 12 and going into Year 13. Perhaps PM some people asking for advice or what they would do differently? There are also Cambridge AMA students who do these threads. Hope this helps
Reply 9
Original post by ForeverFrench
Not nervous my school got 4 into Oxford last year. Like I said I'm not doing an As exams in year12 all my exams will be in year13 the new alevels have more content and demand more so academically it's easier to balance the subjects and workload and achieve better. Stick with 3 better to get 3A's/A*'s then 4 B's because you couldn't handle the workload. Listen to your school they know what there doing

Thanks! I think I will do three! Better to get the grades with three than let my pride make me do four!
Original post by Dante991
Take a look at the official Cambridge 2017 applicants thread. These are people who have just completed Year 12 and going into Year 13. Perhaps PM some people asking for advice or what they would do differently? There are also Cambridge AMA students who do these threads. Hope this helps

That's a pretty good idea! I'll do it now- thanks!
Thanks! I think I will do three! Better to get the grades with three than let my pride make me do four!

What you have to remember is pm'ing last years applicants can be useful but not wholly just because our alevels are reformed bare that in mind
I'm in the same position but, since the government have changed the rules on not having to do an AS, universities have also taken this out of their offers (mostly.) My school offers 4 AS still but any that I am interested in clash with my other subjects on the timetable so I'm just doing 3. I've looked into it and this does not disadvantage offers but perhaps consider an EPQ just to show you are still a well-rounded person. The ONLY course I have seen that requires an AS is lancaster medicine but even oxford and cambridge don't require them. good luck :smile: what A-Levels are you taking?
Original post by jazz_xox_
I'm in the same position but, since the government have changed the rules on not having to do an AS, universities have also taken this out of their offers (mostly.) My school offers 4 AS still but any that I am interested in clash with my other subjects on the timetable so I'm just doing 3. I've looked into it and this does not disadvantage offers but perhaps consider an EPQ just to show you are still a well-rounded person. The ONLY course I have seen that requires an AS is lancaster medicine but even oxford and cambridge don't require them. good luck :smile: what A-Levels are you taking?

I actually live in Wales so AS still count as 40% of the A2 grade...😐😐 But I'm the Same with subject clashes too. I'm thinking Math,Biology sociology and I might try to self teach Spanish gsce?
I actually live in Wales so AS still count as 40% of the A2 grade...😐😐 But I'm the Same with subject clashes too. I'm thinking Math,Biology sociology and I might try to self teach Spanish gsce?

ah right, you can still do 3 subjects :smile: did you do GCSE's last year? if you did, i wouldn't recommend self teaching spanish- i'd say just focus on your a-levels!!

Quick Reply

Latest