The Student Room Group

BA Politics and History to be solicitor?

Hello, I'll be applying to UCAS this year, my predicted grades will be ABB and I'd like to apply Queen Mary's,SOAS, Brunel, Goldsmiths and Westminster. But is it possible for me to be a solicitor even if I don't do LLB? Because I heard you don't just need a law degree to be accepted. Thank you!
Reply 1
also does anyone know any other good unis in London?
Original post by sarskinz
Hello, I'll be applying to UCAS this year, my predicted grades will be ABB and I'd like to apply Queen Mary's,SOAS, Brunel, Goldsmiths and Westminster. But is it possible for me to be a solicitor even if I don't do LLB? Because I heard you don't just need a law degree to be accepted. Thank you!

You can take a one year law conversion course after you graduate. It's called the Graduate Diploma in Law, or GDL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
You can take a one year law conversion course after you graduate. It's called the Graduate Diploma in Law, or GDL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for letting me know, can I still secure a training contract after this?
Thank you so much for letting me know, can I still secure a training contract after this?

Yes.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes.

Glad to here this thank you!
You're welcome. It's easy enough to find out more - just google GDL.

before. you'd be looking to make applications in your last year of uni as a non-law grad. you should preferably start looking for open days, vac schemes from the moment you arrive at uni.

a lot of firms sponsor both the gdl and lpc, whilst giving you a stipend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*hear*

I know it's only the internet but if you're wanting to become a solicitor in the UK you'll need to use the language properly.
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan2012
*hear*

I know it's only the internet but if you're wanting to become a solicitor in the UK you'll need to use the language properly.

it's not that deep lol I was typing fast.
Reply 10
Original post by Princepieman
before. you'd be looking to make applications in your last year of uni as a non-law grad. you should preferably start looking for open days, vac schemes from the moment you arrive at uni.

a lot of firms sponsor both the gdl and lpc, whilst giving you a stipend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I'll definitely look into this as soon as I get into uni. Thanks so much. Do uni's help you gain contracts as well?
Oh I'll definitely look into this as soon as I get into uni. Thanks so much. Do uni's help you gain contracts as well?

nope, all on you. they may hold careers fairs where you can network with lawyers, but apart from that nah.

Check out the website allaboutlawcareers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definatly. I recently did work experience at a city based law firm and half of the people that worked there (as lawyers) did the GDL course after completing a degree in another subject. Most did History.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Princepieman
nope, all on you. they may hold careers fairs where you can network with lawyers, but apart from that nah.

Check out the website allaboutlawcareers

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending