The Student Room Group

Airmed's Adventures at the Gym

Starting a blog so I can keep a track on what I do at the gym etc etc.

Bit of background: I'm Cesca, 20yrs old, I'm a politics undergrad. I also suffer from numerous PDs and other mental health stuff. This means I have been put on medication (6th time lucky, hopefully) and specifically, it's an anti psychotic.

One of the biggest side effects? Weight gain, even without actually eating additional food. **** that. :redface: Also headaches, muscle jerks and lightheadedness. Fun.

Please see edit below for latest info on my med story. :h:

The gym I refer to is my local Puregym.

Height: 5'5.5 (that half inch makes all the difference, alright?)

Weight as of 26/10/16: 65kg
Weight as of 11/1/17: 66kg. Think I've put on muscle! :woo:

Body measurements:
18/1/17

What I want to achieve? I want to tone mostly, and strengthen my body. While I would love to lose weight, I know this is unrealistic for my body as my weight fluctuates like mad due to the numerous meds I come on and off, and PMS symptoms. I am cutting down on what I eat though (ie less junk food, smaller helpings. Trying to find snacking food that is filling and healthy as I don't eat fruit).

I also want to see if going to the gym will have any effect on my mental health. Exercise is meant to help, right? It didn't seem to when I previously went to my uni's gym, but I have a better attitude now.

EDIT: 1/10: now 7th time lucky on the meds. This one is an antidepressant with no weight gain. Still suffering from the headaches etc though. Also due to get the contraceptive injection asap, which does has weight gain as a side effect. Sigh.

2/11: Starting 150mg trazodone tomorrow. Also on beta blockers and depo injection. Depo can definitely affect the weight side of things.

18/1/17: On 20mg amitriptyline nightly and 200mg iron tablets daily. Waiting for depo injection to be out of system.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
9/9/16:

I joined Puregym Dundee at the end of August. Only today did I get over my fears of the induction classes and attended one. I was going to pull out as I have been feeling awful mentally all day, but I stuck to my guns and I am so glad I did! The PT was absolutely lovely to me.

Ever since I went to my uni’s gym, I had always wanted to know how to use the weight type equipment, since I tend to stick to cycle bikes, spin bikes, rowers, and occasionally treadmill. I wanted to mix my routine up, but I don’t like asking for help or talking to people really.

So,yay, got over that fear! The PT gave me a 20 minute show around of the equipment (I had already had work outs at the gym before so I knew where my usual equipment was) and then I went onto do a workout.

Below is my workout. Don’t laugh. This was my first serious time using these machines, alright? :colondollar:

Leg extension: 11kg for 8 minutes, followed by 12.1kg for 3 minutes.

Hip abduction: 11kg for 5 minutes, followed by 12.1kg for 5 minutes.

Power plate for 1.30min: front plank (side note: fricking hell, these machines are weird!)

Converging shoulder press: 9kg for 6 minutes

Seated leg curl: 11kg for 5 minutes.

I then tried the pectoral fly machine for 3 minutes on 9kg. I really didn’t like it, so I don’t think I will be using this machine. The shoulder press was much better because I could do one arm at a time and then both.

Rower (setting 6) for 5 minutes (feeling light headed at this point due to medication).

Spin bike for 5 minutes; standing for 2.5 minutes. At this point I was really lightheaded, so I gave up and I went home.
Reply 2
10/9/16:

Holy ****, my arms, shoulders and chest muscles are in so much pain. I had stretched before and after my workout yesterday, but I had forgotten to take my protein shake when I got home. (I hate them, but they have proven to help my muscle pain next day).

I am considering booking a class at the gym for tomorrow. Hmm. I am looking at the Abs workout or Box Fit.
Best of luck @Airmed.

Sorry your meds made you gain weight. Mine did but it was due to moodswings and eating more as a result. Gaining weight without an increased appetite must be difficult!
Reply 4
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Best of luck @Airmed.

Sorry your meds made you gain weight. Mine did but it was due to moodswings and eating more as a result. Gaining weight without an increased appetite must be difficult!

It's horrible. I really don't like it.

I have decided. I am going to try out a Box Fit class at the gym tomorrow morning.
In, good luck. I'll happily help you out if you want help with anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in :pierre:
Reply 7
Original post by Angry cucumber
In, good luck. I'll happily help you out if you want help with anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ngl, I would have been so disappointed if you had not subscribed :cry2:

Serious question though. What is the best way to help with arm pain? Arms are still sore from Friday, and will be even worse tomorrow after today's session. I stretched for a good five minutes before and after workouts.

Original post by usycool1
I am in :pierre:

:love:
Original post by Airmed
Ngl, I would have been so disappointed if you had not subscribed :cry2:

Serious question though. What is the best way to help with arm pain? Arms are still sore from Friday, and will be even worse tomorrow after today's session. I stretched for a good five minutes before and after workouts.

:love:

Rest and food :smile:
Reply 9
11/9/16:

So last night I booked to go to the Box Fit class. I had a fear of attending one of the classes as I think I am super unfit and I didn’t want to look like a right eejit. But when the classes are inclusive in my gym membership, and that I want to get healthy and fit, I needed to man up. So I did.

Below (in order) is today’s workout:

Leg extension: 11kg for 5 minutes.

Box Fit Class: 30 minutes.

Hip abduction: 12.1kg for 5 minutes.

Calf press: 11kg for 5 minutes (first time on this machine, I enjoyed it).

Converging shoulder press: 9kg for 3 minutes.

Seated leg curl: 14.4kg for 5 minutes.

Now, about the class: I am quite proud of myself for attending, tbh. When I arrived at the gym, and was waiting for the studio to empty, doing my stretches and leg extension workout, I nearly chickened out (due to reasons stated above).However, my fears slowly left when I saw that it was a small class, 5 women and the PT. The PT was quite friendly, and he didn’t make me feel pressured into doing any of the exercises. He told us to go at our own pace and take breaks when we wanted to which I did. This was my first time doing a group exercise sort of thing since PE class 3 years ago at school. I have never been good at cardio;it makes me feel sick after a while.

This class has taught me that I need to also focus on my upper body and my breathing –which is good, because I want to tone up my stomach, hopefully lose an inch or so around my waist. It was tough going,and I was drenched in sweat by the time it wrapped up, I was so hot. But overall, I found it enjoyable, and I have already booked to do it next Sunday.

If I work on my upper body, toning it, and my breathing, hopefully I will be able to combat the medication side effect of lightheadness, which I did really feel during the class.

I see my psychiatrist this coming Thursday, and I am scheduled for a medication dosage increase. This means a return of other side effects! But hopefully I will be ok.When I got home, I took a protein shake and did some more stretches. I hate protein shakes, but they do help me.

God, I hope I am not in pain tomorrow. I have a lecture and a four hour shift at work. :eek:
Reply 10
Original post by Angry cucumber
Rest and food :smile:

I'm currently lying on my sofa. I haven't eaten much after the workout, except tea and some breadsticks. I am not that hungry today (though I did eat breakfast).
First normal peasant member to post here it seems :hide:

Actually, really interesting to read. Best of luck :h:
[QUOTE=homeland.lsw;67519238]First normal peasant member to post here it seems :hide:

Why is her social class relevant? :tongue:
Original post by Unistudent77

I meant I'm the first normal member to post here, not a member of the Support Team...
Reply 14
Original post by homeland.lsw
First normal peasant member to post here it seems :hide:

Actually, really interesting to read. Best of luck :h:

Ah thanks :colondollar: :hugs: Yeah, it's kinda like a bit of a fitness diary. Have a copy saved on my laptop too. :tongue:

Original post by Unistudent77

I meant I'm the first normal member to post here, not a member of the Support Team...

#SupportTeamMasterrace guys. The bant is all with us, obvs,
Original post by Airmed
Ah thanks :colondollar: :hugs: Yeah, it's kinda like a bit of a fitness diary. Have a copy saved on my laptop too. :tongue:

#SupportTeamMasterrace guys. The bant is all with us, obvs,

Didn't know bant was still relevant :wink:
Reply 16
Didn't know bant was still relevant :wink:

Banter, bant, craic, it's all relevant in Ireland still. :tongue:
Reply 17
13/9/16:

Just a quick update: I am still in a lot of muscle pain. My calves and feet, my shoulders and tummy. Ugh. I have a hospital appointment today too, so that will be fun.

I think from now on, until my body gets used to it, I will only do the Box Fit class on Sunday and then go home. I think further straining my muscles after an intensive 30-minute workout has only given me the soreness I am in now. I mean, even my bloody neck muscles hurt! :frown:

Right, hospital appointment time. 15 miles away. Lovely. :colonhash:
In to watch :h:
[QUOTE=Airmed;67551464]13/9/16:

Just a quick update: I am still in a lot of muscle pain. My calves and feet, my shoulders and tummy. Ugh. I have a hospital appointment today too, so that will be fun.

I think from now on, until my body gets used to it, I will only do the Box Fit class on Sunday and then go home. I think further straining my muscles after an intensive 30-minute workout has only given me the soreness I am in now. I mean, even my bloody neck muscles hurt! :frown:

Right, hospital appointment time. 15 miles away. Lovely. :colonhash:

Depends if it is 'pain' or not.

Like, if it is just severe DOMS then that will improve in the coming weeks. The day after you will feel something but it shouldn't be actual pain and if you get regularly training ie 3x a week or more then you get no DOMS whatsoever i've found (or very minimal at most).

Just monitor it but i would expect it to ease as the days and weeks pass

Latest