The Student Room Group

Big nose, shattered self confidence, crying my eyes out

Please keep this anon. I'm crying my eyes out and don't want to go outside because of my nose, since puberty hit me I've always had the suspicion my nose was big and one time a guy even told me it was. It's not ginormous or crooked, it's quite straight but a bit long/Roman like (like a Greek nose I think)
but I've been wanting a nose job for ages and I found this nose surgeon who had a number on his website that you could send pics of your yourself to and he'd give you a quote for it. So I stupidly did that and I wished I hadn't, just look at the reply I got back for it, I can't stop crying;
"Hello .You have a cartilaginous nose with thick skin. your nose is wide and asymmetrical. In profile view, The length of the nose (distance between radix and tip in the side view) is big and needs to be reduced. If we rate an ideal perfect nose on your face as 100, you will achieve 70 after surgery"

Basically I can't have a nose job as I'm going back to uni so would have to wait for next summer holiday for recover but now the thought of waiting another year with my nose is making me Want to cry even more.
Whenever I go outside I feel like I need to angle myself so people next to me can't see my nose as they must see me and think omg she's so gross look at her nose it makes her look like a man.
I'm quite petite as well so I feel like my nose sticks out on me even more as its so out of harmony with the rest of my body :frown:
Idk why I really posted but I'm just so down and can't stop crying. I didn't tell my mum I sent my pictures to this plastic surgeon as I know she'll get mad and upset and say I should wait. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

who cares about your nose? nobody (except you).
That's why they call you Caesar, right?
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
who cares about your nose? nobody (except you).

They do though they do, everyone notices, some people are just nice enough not to comment. I feel like anybody that I talk to has their eyes on my nose when they talk to me, because of my side profile :frown:
Not to offend you or anything but most people are so wrapped up in their own lives that they probably don't even notice you and even if they did make a comment about it, you shouldn't let nasty comments get to you as I'm sure you're pretty either way so just keep your chin up and be more confident because you never know the end result if you don't try. Just don't let negative people get to you. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
They do though they do, everyone notices, some people are just nice enough not to comment. I feel like anybody that I talk to has their eyes on my nose when they talk to me, because of my side profile :frown:

Then don't be near the people who comment about your nose ffs. The skill of confident people: they respond to compliments, and all non-compliments go through them like laser beams
Reply 6
Original post by animal-lover
Not to offend you or anything but most people are so wrapped up in their own lives that they probably don't even notice you and even if they did make a comment about it, you shouldn't let nasty comments get to you as I'm sure you're pretty either way so just keep your chin up and be more confident because you never know the end result if you don't try. Just don't let negative people get to you. :smile:

Just read the comment the surgeon made about my nose, just read it, he's saying my nos is assymetrical and long. He's saying even after surgery I'll be a 70/100 God knows what I am now probably 0 :frown: I wish I was born as someone else

Just read the comment the surgeon made about my nose, just read it, he's saying my nos is assymetrical and long. He's saying even after surgery I'll be a 70/100 God knows what I am now probably 0 :frown: I wish I was born as someone else

Top kek get a grip.
No one gives a crap about your nose lmao, you ain't a model or something.
It doesn't matter what the surgeon thinks, he's paid to make comments like that. At the end of the day, he just cares about his pay check. Don't let it bother you. As I'm always told "be a duck", just let the negativity wash over you.
you know, i've never actually looked at someone and thought 'oh... he/she has a big nose!'
people that do somehow notice should find better things to do and concentrate on their own lives tbh
Please keep this anon. I'm crying my eyes out and don't want to go outside because of my nose, since puberty hit me I've always had the suspicion my nose was big and one time a guy even told me it was. It's not ginormous or crooked, it's quite straight but a bit long/Roman like (like a Greek nose I think)
but I've been wanting a nose job for ages and I found this nose surgeon who had a number on his website that you could send pics of your yourself to and he'd give you a quote for it. So I stupidly did that and I wished I hadn't, just look at the reply I got back for it, I can't stop crying;
"Hello .You have a cartilaginous nose with thick skin. your nose is wide and asymmetrical. In profile view, The length of the nose (distance between radix and tip in the side view) is big and needs to be reduced. If we rate an ideal perfect nose on your face as 100, you will achieve 70 after surgery"

Basically I can't have a nose job as I'm going back to uni so would have to wait for next summer holiday for recover but now the thought of waiting another year with my nose is making me Want to cry even more.
Whenever I go outside I feel like I need to angle myself so people next to me can't see my nose as they must see me and think omg she's so gross look at her nose it makes her look like a man.
I'm quite petite as well so I feel like my nose sticks out on me even more as its so out of harmony with the rest of my body :frown:
Idk why I really posted but I'm just so down and can't stop crying. I didn't tell my mum I sent my pictures to this plastic surgeon as I know she'll get mad and upset and say I should wait. :frown:

The thing to remember here is that the plastic surgeon is happy to tell you your nose isn't good because he is gambling on this emotion from people to fund his livelihood.

I worked in the beauty industry and some bosses really encouraged this from staff to increase sales (I always refused to comply. Right on!).

You're beautiful as you are. Take my word for it.*
Bet you all have tiny perfect noses :frown:
Reply 12
Just be happy with yourself, everyone has their flaws. Don't let your flaws ruin your life... It's hard to do, but embrace it.

Gosh it's only a nose.
(:colonhash: at the same time i'm most likely complaining about why i don't have a job and they be like "it's only a job")

I don't. My nose is naturally chubby, I've been told it many times but I choose not to listen because it's what makes me, me so just don't listen to the haters.

Nope, my nose looks like this:

Spoiler

Girls actually comment on my nose a lot, but I just ignore it, it actually makes me look more tough.

I wouldn't recommend you to take the surgeon's advice seriously due to the conflict of interests. Remember, he/she just wants your money and will make it sound worse than it actually is.

Don't listen to the surgeon. His job is to assess and critique people's face in a highly technical way. I bet if you gave him the pictures of supermodels most people consider beautiful he would still point out a lot of flaws. The great majority of people don't go around measuring the symmetry and proportion of other people's face.

Personally I've never in my life looked at somebody and thought, "Ugh! What a big nose!" Well, okay, I have once, and it doesn't matter anyway because he's one of the most intelligent people I've ever met and one time I almost fainted because he gave me a plastic ring:

Is your nose as big as his? Probably not. There's nothing to worry about. :smile:
How did you get to 19?
Are you seeing your GP about this or any depression you have?

I'd be with most people on the thread and seeking to improve self esteem and confidence. Get a good degree and things are set up for you.

If you think your nose is such an issue, then do what it takes to get it treated. Make sure you vet the surgeon so its someone responsible. Other people will have noses like yours and they cope just fine. They get bfs, make friends and are happy. I would say go to Uni and deal with it after if you need to and get reputable advice.

In the big scheme of things its not cancer , you arent blind or have lost your legs, so keep it in proportion. Its not worth crying over.
Hey hun,
I am all for doing what makes you happy and doing to whatever makes you feel confident, but I feel like there is an underlying issue that could be fixed without a nose job. Have you seen a psychiatrist first? Maybe you should visit one and maybe if you get help then you wouldn't feel the need to want a nose job. Sometimes we reflect minor insecurities about ourselves that make yourself feel even worse.

If you get a nose job, you will find something else to be insecure about. Trust me. Always remember that a nose job isn't going to change who you are on the inside and that it isn't going to be like as soon as you get your new nose you are going to be this new person. Many people that get plastic surgery still aren't happy with who they are and it's because they think that getting surgery will make them happier but it doesn't. There has been studies that showed that Breast implants are linked to higher suicide rates which shows that surgery did nothing to make them feel better.

Lastly, nose jobs are a hit or miss. They either look good, or they look even worse. Is it really worse the risk? There are non permanent nose jobs that are available to get if you decide to get one which is a better option. But my main point is to love yourself! We all have insecurities, there is no point of beating yourself up about it. If someone truly loves you, it should be for the inside and not the outside.

Hope this helps x
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending