The Student Room Group

Applying to uni (for law) with grades lower than entry requirements?

Hi, I got A* in English lit, A in economics and B in history in my A level's this year. I am taking a gap year, do i stand a chance applying for law at universities this year that are asking for AAA or higher? Thanks, any advice would be amazing!
I think Bristol will openly accept A*AB in place of AAA

Bristol very good choice for law
Original post by cmmary
Hi, I got A* in English lit, A in economics and B in history in my A level's this year. I am taking a gap year, do i stand a chance applying for law at universities this year that are asking for AAA or higher? Thanks, any advice would be amazing!

Many universities consider A*AB as equal to AAA so you'd be fine applying to to those. However, the very top universities might not accept equivalents so it's worth checking with them if you're unsure. You're unlikely to be accepted at A*AA+ courses though as you don't meet the requirements and they're extremely competitive - not everyone that's predicted A*AA will get in, so you'd struggle with having achieved A*AB.
do it! don't let state school/college teachers hold you back. I was predicted rubbish grades of BCC yet was given an offer at Sheffield uni for law. put an application in and you will be surpised
Reply 4
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Many universities consider A*AB as equal to AAA so you'd be fine applying to to those. However, the very top universities might not accept equivalents so it's worth checking with them if you're unsure. You're unlikely to be accepted at A*AA+ courses though as you don't meet the requirements and they're extremely competitive - not everyone that's predicted A*AA will get in, so you'd struggle with having achieved A*AB.

Thank you:smile: Although, i have been told by some people that if you apply having already achieved your grades then universities are more lenient because they are taking less of a gamble since you already have the grades (most predictions are rubbish)?
Original post by cmmary
Thank you:smile: Although, i have been told by some people that if you apply having already achieved your grades then universities are more lenient because they are taking less of a gamble since you already have the grades (most predictions are rubbish)?

That is a good point, as predictions are notoriously inaccurate! It might therefore be worth applying to one or two that ask for A*AA (though not Cambridge) with the view that they're very optimistic choices, so don't be surprised if you get a rejection - and I wouldn't apply to more than two. If you do well in the LNAT that could help your case with the top unis, but just bear in mind how competitive they can be!

Quick Reply

Latest